monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:31 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Then, looking right into my eyes, he says with swelling pride, "It's the closest this country will ever come to having a Hitler!"
This is one of those cases where, when you try to apply the liberal-minded cliche, "It takes all kinds", it just doesn't seem satisfactory as a guide.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:35 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

On the other hand the statements imputed to him are inconsistent, so that undermines any tendencies to put credence in their accuracy. Bannon is, if nothing else, consistent.

Trump's reaction leads oneto believe that Bannon doesn't deny saying it, but maybe Trump reacted prematurely without even talking to Bannon, who knows.? This author apparently has a history of just makin **** up:

Newsweek wrote:
Those who suspect Wolff may have fabricated the quote aren’t the first to accuse him of such behavior. In 1998, the now defunct Bill’s Content reported that some of the people quoted in Wolff’s book Burn Rate said the author “invented or changed quotes.” And on Wednesday, The New York Times’ Maggie Haberman said another person quoted in Wolff’s most recent book has made similar claims.

Wolff quoted Thomas Barrack, a friend and adviser to the president, in Fire and Fury, saying of Trump, “He’s not not only crazy, he's stupid.” “Barrack said he spoke to Wolffe once, says he never said the quote attributed to him to Wolffe or anyone,” Haberman tweeted. "’Totally false,’ Barrack said by phone just now.”

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-steve-bannon-fire-fury-jr-jared-kushner-russia-investigation-769811
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I caught that item this morning but haven't had any chance to follow up on it yet. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens next. That is certainly an unexpected statement from Bannon.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:36 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
I wonder what good ole Harry would have threatened him with if he had called Margaret a "traitor," eh?

HST would've dismissed the comment as totally irrelevant — hard to see how playing a piano, even poorly, could be considered an act of treason.
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:37 pm
@hightor,
Jesus. This book seems likely to create waves.

Edit: I suppose we could note that there's not much in that reporting which hasn't been advanced or postulated here.
Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:40 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Heh, Hi, leave it to you to entirely miss the point, eh?

Heh, lay, leave it to you to unthinkingly take the bait, eh?
Walter Hinteler

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:41 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
hard to see how playing a piano, even poorly, could be considered an act of treason.
Playing a zither could be different.
layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:42 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Heh, Hi, leave it to you to entirely miss the point, eh?

Heh, lay, leave it to you to unthinkingly take the bait, eh?

Heh, Hi, are you now claiming that your standard form of "reasoning" is all just bait?
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:46 pm
Breaking news:

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, took the unusual step on Wednesday of suing the special counsel and asking a federal court to narrow his authority.

NYT
layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:56 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Breaking news:

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, took the unusual step on Wednesday of suing the special counsel and asking a federal court to narrow his authority.

NYT

I aint no bottom-feeder, but I suspect he can make a good case for that.
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Bagpipes! The sound of those things is no mere treasonous act. It is a crime against nature.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:02 pm
@hightor,
He also sued Rosenstein, and rightly so. The "special counsel" laws are pretty narrow and clear, and it seemed from the beginning that Rosenstein's "authorization" was too broad within the dictates of those statutes.

Quote:
He sued both Mr. Mueller and Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who appointed him. The lawsuit said Mr. Rosenstein had improperly given Mr. Mueller the authority to investigate “anything he stumbles across while investigating, no matter how remote.”

Mr. Manafort asked a federal judge to reject Mr. Mueller’s appointment as overly broad. He asked a judge to dismiss the indictment against him and issue an order prohibiting Mr. Mueller from investigating anything beyond Russian meddling in the election.

I'm sure Manafort's bottom-feeder did his research while "forum shopping" and got this before a judge who would be inclined to rule in his favor.
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:06 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Paul Manafort, took the unusual step on Wednesday of suing the special counsel and asking a federal court to narrow his authority.
I'm definitely not a lawyer familiar with relevant laws here. But I can't imagine it's a viable position if only because anyone under investigation could mount a similar challenge thus inhibiting investigation of precisely the areas where serious guilt is involved.
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette1

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:12 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I aint no bottom-feeder

ha

Quote:
but I suspect he can make a good case for that.

Doubtful, it would set up a bad precedent; inhibiting future investigations for all time until such time as it would be reversed.

More coherent? Rolling Eyes I basically repeated what blatham said.
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:14 pm
Didn't take long.
Quote:
After two excerpts from a forthcoming book revealed Steve Bannon criticizing President Donald Trump and his campaign, the President released a statement Wednesday afternoon tearing into Bannon.

Trump said that Bannon “lost his mind” after he was “fired” from his White House job, and the President declared that Bannon “had very little to to” with Trump’s victory.

...In a lengthy statement, Trump unleashed on Bannon. He claimed that Bannon did little to help secure Trump’s presidential victory and accused Bannon of only working to promote himself.

“Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my Presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind,” Trump said in the statement.

The President then blamed Bannon for Roy Moore’s loss in the Alabama Senate race and generally insulted Bannon’s political abilities.

“Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country. Yet Steve had everything to do with the loss of a Senate seat in Alabama held for more than thirty years by Republicans. Steve doesn’t represent my base—he’s only in it for himself,” Trump said in the statement.

“Steve pretends to be at war with the media, which he calls the opposition party, yet he spent his time at the White House leaking false information to the media to make himself seem far more important than he was,” Trump continued. “It is the only thing he does well. Steve was rarely in a one-on-one meeting with me and only pretends to have had influence to fool a few people with no access and no clue, whom he helped write phony books.”
TPM
These are all such nice people.
revelette1

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:16 pm
@blatham,
I know, right? They turn on each other like pit bulls bred to viciously fight.
layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:17 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Doubtful, it would set up a bad precedent; inhibiting future investigations for all time until such time as it would be reversed.

I basically repeated what blatham said.

You sure did, Hunnychile. Unfortunately, parroting Blathy doesn't make you both right. It just makes you both wrong, and for the same reason. And equally incoherent, ya know?

Since you're the queen of google, who always does her research before speaking about **** you know nothing about, let me give you a little suggestion, eh?

Google, then read, all the relevant statutes pertaining to the appointment of special counsel. Then read all the administrative regulations promulgated in connection with those statutes. THEN come back, eh?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:18 pm
Quote:
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday that the widening rift between President Donald Trump and his former chief strategist Steve Bannon would not change the level of support Trump received from his base of supporters.
TPM

Good luck with that, Sarah.