monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 11:28 am
@hightor,
Quote:
My first question is, who wrote this for him? It doesn't sound like anything he'd come up with himself.
No kidding! Particularly this bit:
"Or will the Iranian people return to the nation’s proud roots as a center of civilization". Though historically accurate, it is not something a modern GOP politicians is going to state while dependent on the religious right vote.
Quote:

Encouraging people to risk their lives from an armchair in a plush office ten thousand miles away is not leadership, it's posturing.
Oh yes. And it is posturing for domestic consumption.

revelette1

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 11:36 am
Quote:
ISTANBUL — Anti-government protests in Iran flared on more fronts Tuesday amid clashes that left at least nine people dead, state media reported, as leaders in Tehran struggled to respond to the most serious internal crisis in nearly a decade.

Six days of demonstrations — which have left at least 20 people dead — showed no signs of easing as the anger from the streets found new targets. What began as frustration over Iran’s sluggish economy has broadened to include open defiance of Iran’s Islamic leadership itself.

There was no apparent evidence of cracks in Iran’s ruling network of clerics and security networks, including the powerful Revolutionary Guard whose influence extends deep into Iran’s economy and policymaking. For the moment, at least, the lack of any key defections at the top suggested Iran’s regime was relatively secure.

But Iran’s establishment was clearly caught off guard by the speed and ferocity of the protests — the largest outpouring of opposition to the state since disputed 2009 presidential elections.

It also has underscored the range of tensions buffeting Iran, which has one of the region’s most highly developed middle classes and among the most educated and tech-savvy populations.

Many young Iranians are frustrated by limits on reformers, including President Hassan Rouhani, to push for greater social freedoms and political openness in a country where the ruling clerics still hold all the cards. Working-class Iranians and others, meanwhile, are increasingly unhappy with a stagnant economy despite the lifting of international sanctions under the nuclear accord with world powers.

In a replay of the rhetoric from 2009, Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, posted comments Tuesday and asserted the current protests were encouraged by the country’s “enemies” — often used as shorthand for the United States, its allies and anti-government Iranian exiles.

WP

Who Khamenei is with concern to who the Iran protesters seem to be most upset with.

Quote:
According to his official website, Khamenei was arrested six times before being sent into exile for three years during Mohammad Reza Pahlavi's reign.[10] He was the target of an attempted assassination in June 1981 that paralysed his right arm.[11][12]

Khamenei was one of Iran's leaders during the Iran–Iraq War in the 1980s, and developed close ties with the now-powerful Revolutionary Guards which he controls, and whose commanders are elected and dismissed by him. The Revolutionary Guards have been used to suppress opposition to Khamenei.[13][14] Khamenei then went to serve as the third President of Iran from 1981 to 1989 while becoming a close ally to Khomeini. Eventually, after Khomeini had a fall off with then heir-apparent Hussein Ali Montazeri, Rafsanjani claimed that Khomeini had chosen Khamenei as his successor while the Assembly of Experts deliberated to elect the next Supreme Leader. Khamenei succeeded the first Supreme Leader, Ruhollah Khomeini, after Khomeini's death, being elected as the new Supreme Leader by the Assembly of Experts on 4 June 1989 at the age of 49. Khamenei is head of the servants of Astan Quds Razavi from 14 April 1979.[15]

wiki

In other words, layman, it is the cleric leaders who seem to under protest who are conservative, extremely so. I don't know much more than you, but I can utilize search engines to find out before talking about stuff I don't know about.
Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 11:47 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
In other words, layman, it is the cleric leaders who seem to under protest who are conservative, extremely so. I don't know much more than you, but I can utilize search engines to find out before talking about stuff I don't know about.

Maybe you should tell Walt, eh? To hear him tell it, those are the people running wild in the streets trying to overthrow the establishment. Why? Because their regime is "too liberal."

Apparently you can't bring yourself to read the posts in this thread before inserting yourself and "talking about stuff you don't know about," though, eh?
izzythepush

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 11:54 am
@revelette1,
It's very confusing, and restrictions on apps like twitter don't help. The supreme leader and the revolutionary guard have most of the power but are unelected. The reformist president is elected but has a very tight line to walk.

I have heard reports that the protests were started by ultra conservatives opposed to the president, but things got out of hand. One thing is certain, economic hardship is the main driving force behind all of this, and a lot of poor rural people are the conservative's base which is why there are confusing messages about the legitimacy of certain protests from the Ayatollah. It's not just the Tehran intelligentsia who are protesting.

The true extent of what's going on won't be known for a few weeks a least.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 11:59 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
The true extent of what's going on won't be known for a few weeks a least.
If at all.

It is interesting that quite a lot of the published videos are actually from 2009
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 12:26 pm
@layman,
There is an element of that which was in the piece I left. It seems to be both conservatives and liberals both protesting for a multiple of reasons.
georgeob1

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:05 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
My first question is, who wrote this for him? It doesn't sound like anything he'd come up with himself.
No kidding! Particularly this bit:
"Or will the Iranian people return to the nation’s proud roots as a center of civilization". Though historically accurate, it is not something a modern GOP politicians is going to state while dependent on the religious right vote.
Quote:

Encouraging people to risk their lives from an armchair in a plush office ten thousand miles away is not leadership, it's posturing.
Oh yes. And it is posturing for domestic consumption.

You appear to have lost the ability to see through your many preconceptions, and take in new data of any kind. A serious disability.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:48 pm
@revelette1,
I would be cautious using the term "liberal" here if it's used as it is in the USA: the "working class" on the streets now is the base of the Islamic revolution.

These days, the protests are spreading throughout the country. But they attracted far fewer people than the millions in 2009. And opposite to 2009, they have no leaders, and no single agenda today.

If it wasn't that 'special' country, because it would be considered as a domestic affair - like Honduras: the USA keeps silent as dozens Honduras protesters are killed in post-election violence.
revelette1

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:49 pm
@layman,
I don't like the way you word things, it makes it needlessly confusing to try and decipher your meaning. Who would be the Islamofascists? Are you referring to the Supreme religious rulers of Iran? I do agree it would be great if the religious leaders would have less a hold on Iran and the more moderate Muslims (which would include the elected President I think in comparison to religious leaders) have more power in Iran. So if that is what you said, I agree.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:54 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
... the elected President ...
Though he is called "president", his role and power is equal or even less to a prime minitser (or chancellor) in other countries: "unlike the executive in other countries, the President of Iran does not have full control over anything, as these are ultimately under the control of the Supreme Leader." [wikipedia]
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I'll just drop the whole line of "liberal and conservative" in terms of the Iran situation.

The reason I commented was because of course Trump tweeted and linked the lifting of sanctions and how all the money went to the leaders or some such thing. Maybe it did, the Iran deal was still a good deal concerning nuclear weapons.

Walter Hinteler

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 01:58 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
the Iran deal was still a good deal concerning nuclear weapons.
Indeed.
layman

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 02:04 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I don't like the way you word things, it makes it needlessly confusing to try and decipher your meaning. Who would be the Islamofascists?

And here I thought you were the self-declared queen of google, eh?

Quote:
The term Islamofascism is defined in the New Oxford American Dictionary as "a term equating some modern Islamic movements with the European fascist movements of the early twentieth century". The earliest known use of the contiguous term Islamic Fascism dates to 1933.

As a neologism it was adopted broadly in the wake of the September 11 attacks to intimate that either all Muslims, or those Muslims who spoke of their social or political goals in terms of Islam, were fascists.[15] Khalid Duran is often credited with devising the phrase at that date. He used it in 2001 to characterize Islamism generally, as a doctrine that would compel both a state and its citizens to adopt the religion of Islam.

President George W. Bush introduced the term officially during his presidency. Bush, still grappling to find a phrase that might identify the nature of the "evil" which would define the nature of his enemy in the War on Terror, stated in 2005 that Islamofascism was an ideology synonymous with Islamic radicalism and militant jihadism, which, he then clarified, was decidedly distinct from the religion of Islam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamofascism
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 2 Jan, 2018 02:09 pm
Quote:
Topher Spiro‏Verified account

Orrin Hatch's legacy in the Trump era:
- changed committee rules to confirm Tom Price
- held no hearings before vote on ACA repeal
- failed to extend CHIP on time; prioritized tax cuts
- called Trump maybe the greatest president ever
11:24 AM - 2 Jan 2018

good riddance Orrin Hatch

Quote:
Shannon Watts‏Verified account

If we did it in Alabama, we can do it in Utah. We don’t need Mitt Romney, a 70-year-old white man, to replace Orrin Hatch, an 83-year-old white man. Let’s get to work.

she's got it