monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 09:43 pm
Why does Trump lie so much, so blatantly and more often than not, where he really doesn't have to lie? Perhaps odder still, he clearly takes pride in doing this. So, what's going on?

I think he does it to show us he can. Like so much he does, this is a dominance display. His bold rejection of other norms is the same. He doesn't have to play by existing rules - he makes new rules according to his whims. He doesn't have to read/study and he doesn't have to listen because, "Why should I? I'm the BigShot here. Your Monarch. The Pharaoh. And all the rest of you are my sniffling little subjects". He is constantly posing in such ways to prove his dominance.

I really ought to have realized this earlier and more clearly.

Edit: thinking a bit further on this, it occurs to me that this bizarre exercise in national destruction is telling us pretty transparently who among us are just raring to submit to any Biggest Bully

BillW

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 09:55 pm
@blatham,
Read the book, "Been Down So Long It Seems Like Up to Me". Life is such a fairy tale until it becomes real. Those are tRump times.
blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 10:18 pm
@BillW,
Had to look that up to remind myself of the context to those words. I had not realized that the line came from James Morrison. I thought it had likely come from black blues lyrics.

I saw the Doors live. Don't remember much including the name of the drug I was on. It was raucous. A girl jumped up on the stage and shoved her hand down the front of his pants (Morrison had indicated to stage bodyguards that this was permissable and the lady not a threat). But I never liked the Doors. Other stuff caught my attention and interest.
BillW

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 10:39 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
The title makes reference to the 1928 Furry Lewis song, "I Will Turn Your Money Green" ("I been down so long/It seem like up to me"), and the first verse may have been inspired by Richard Fariña's novel Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me which was about Fariña's college experiences and travels.

-Wiki.

I was speaking in particular of Farina's book.

Quote:
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me is a novel by Richard Fariña. First published in the United States in 1966 the novel, based largely on Fariña's college experiences and travels, is a comic picaresque story that is set in the Western United States, in Cuba during the Cuban Revolution, and at an upstate New York university. The name of the protagonist is Gnossos Pappadopoulis, a modern Odysseus. The book has become something of a cult classic among those who study 1960s or counterculture literature.

-wiki
blatham

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 07:44 am
@BillW,
Farina. Yes, now I recollect. thanks.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 07:47 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Quote:
The title makes reference to the 1928 Furry Lewis song, "I Will Turn Your Money Green" ("I been down so long/It seem like up to me"), and the first verse may have been inspired by Richard Fariña's novel Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me which was about Fariña's college experiences and travels.
-Wiki.

That there wiki article aint none too bright, eh? How could the title of a 1966 book "inspire" the lyrics of a 1928 blues tune, eh?

Here's a little tune by good ole J. B. Lenoir for alla yawl who like both politics and blues, eh?:

layman

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 07:54 am
@blatham,
Yeah, Trump's a big dog, and you aint. What else is new? The petty resentfulness and jealousy is quite apparent.

It's like the "penis envy" many women have because they're a bitch, and you aint, eh?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 08:04 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
That there wiki article aint none too bright, eh? How could the title of a 1966 book "inspire" the lyrics of a 1928 blues tune, eh?
Speaking about someone's brightness:
Been Down So Long was released in 1971. Both Furry Lewis' song and Richard Fariña's novel were released/published earlier.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 08:10 am
@layman,
Quote:
How could the title of a 1966 book "inspire" the lyrics of a 1928 blues tune, eh?

It didn't. Morrison's song is from 1971. Rolling Eyes
Quote:
"Been Down So Long" is the third song on L.A. Woman, the last studio album that The Doors recorded with lead singer Jim Morrison, who died in July 1971. It has been called a "take-off" on the album.[1]

Noted as one of the standout tracks on L.A. Woman as one of three blues songs,[2] Lyrically, the song draws upon themes of depression, liberation, and sexuality.[3] The title makes reference to the 1928 Furry Lewis song, "I Will Turn Your Money Green" ("I been down so long/It seem like up to me"), and the first verse may have been inspired by Richard Fariña's novel Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me which was about Fariña's college experiences and travels.[2]
Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 08:25 am
I think this is extremely bright. And necessary.
Quote:
Show your work: The new terms for trust in journalism

The transparency movement has finally come of age. Power has shifted to the users. Their trust has to be earned in different ways now.
Jay Rosen
0 Replies

layman

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 08:37 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I had not realized that the line came from James Morrison.

This aint no where near the first time you done "realized" that some patently false claim was "true," eh, Blathy?
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 08:43 am
@layman,
Farina was a contemporary of Morrison who died tragically a few years previous to the release of the tune on the L.A. Woman album. Farina was aware of the Furry Lewis tune but there's no indication that Morrison was. The reference was probably second-hand. Notice Morrison's lyric here:
Morrison wrote:
Well, I've been down so Goddamn long
That it looks like up to me

If he were really inspired by the Furry Lewis tune why didn't he use the original lyric? His tune doesn't resemble the Lewis tune at all.
Lewis wrote:
I been down so long
It seem like up to me

Why you tryin' a stir up ****, man?
hightor

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 08:52 am
@layman,
I was interested to hear that line in there — was it written before Sleepy John Estes? Maybe it was an expression in common use?