monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 04:23 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
I think by this time anyone denying Trump campaign aides "collusion" just has to deny in the teeth of proof to the contrary. Why is it so important to deny it?
It's a good question, rev. There's no rational reason for Trump to repeat so frequently the assertion that "there was no collusion" (16 instances in the last interview alone plus 50, 60 100? earlier instances) or to work so hard at attempting to crush investigations. That is, there's no rational reason other than that he's very worried about what will be turned up re collusion or re some serious financial or other matters.

And the other figures here (Fox, Limbaugh, GOP reps in Congress, etc) it's not difficult to grasp why they are supporting Trump's behavior. For GOP voters that make up Trump's base, it's tribal affiliation. I suspect that the right wing folks posting here - certainly the majority of them - are not concerned with anything Trump might have been guilty of.
blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 04:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 6566470)
Hey, georgeob's following my lead!
Not so loud. George is a fragile fellow. Let him have the win here, I beg of you.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 04:38 am
@BillW,
Quote:
Criminally Insane!
I think the very last direction Trump might ever give his lawyers is to argue in court that he ought to get off on any charge because he is or was insane.

But in a less formal sense, yes, I think it more than likely that Trump is both.
Builder

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 04:41 am
@blatham,
Quote:
But in a less formal sense, yes, I think it more than likely that Trump is both.

And what would be your personal prognosis on Hillary Rodham Clinton?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 04:48 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Quote:
In An Interview, President Trump made 24 false or misleading claims

Quote:
Re: Real Music (Post 6566665)
WGAF??

Most everybody. This behavior isn't a one-off, of course. It's standard for Trump. The deceits and misrepresentations have one of two functions:
1) to cover up serious ignorance/incompetence
2) to misinform any audience the interview or statements reach. And that includes misinforming every American who voted for him.
Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:34 am
Quote:
The investigation into possible connections between Russia and Donald Trump's presidential campaign began after a tip-off from Australia, the New York Times reports.

Trump adviser George Papadopoulos allegedly told Australia's top UK diplomat that Moscow had incriminating "dirt" on Hillary Clinton.

The newspaper alleges the revelation came "during a night of heavy drinking" in London in May 2016.

Australia later informed the FBI.

The New York Times report claims that the exchange was the spark for establishing a secret investigation into possible connections between Russia and the Trump campaign in July 2016.

The newspaper's story cites four anonymous American and Australian foreign officials "with direct knowledge of the Australian's role" as its source.

The BBC has not independently verified the claims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42525880
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 08:07 am
@blatham,
Perhaps we have been using the wrong word; "collusion." Apparently collusion is not a federal crime except in anti-trust matters. Conspiracy to break into the DNC computer in violation of federal computer crime law is what we should be saying.

Quote:
Nick Ackerman, a former Watergate prosecutor, said Saturday that the big issue in special counsel Robert Mueller investigation is not whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russia, but whether it conspired to steal emails from prominent figures in the Democratic Party.

"I think the big enchilada here is the conspiracy to break into the Democratic National Committee in violation of the federal computer crime law and to use those emails to help Donald Trump get elected," Ackerman said on MSNBC.

"All of that is motive as to why Donald Trump and others were endeavoring to obstruct the investigation, and why Donald Trump told [former FBI Director] James Comey to let the investigation on [former national security adviser Michael] Flynn go," he added. "All of this is going to come together in 2018."

Mueller and his team are investigating Russia's role in the 2016 presidential election, as well as possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

The U.S. intelligence community assessed last year that Russia was behind a cyber breach at the DNC that resulted in embarrassing and damaging emails being leaked to the public.

Trump and his associates have repeatedly denied allegations that the campaign sought to conspire with Russia to disrupt and influence the election, and have insisted that Mueller's investigation is a "witch hunt."

Collusion itself is not a federal crime, except in antitrust matters. Mueller has not brought charges against Trump or any current White House staffer, though Flynn pleaded guilty in November to lying to FBI agents about his contacts with Russia's ambassador to the U.S. in the month before Trump took office.

Flynn departed the White House in February after it was revealed that he had lied to Vice President Pence and others about his contacts with the ambassador, Sergey Kislyak. Comey, who was fired by Trump in May, later testified before a congressional panel that the president once asked him to drop the FBI's investigation into Flynn.

The Russia investigation has cast a shadow over Trump's first year in office, and despite claims from the president's lawyers that it will soon come to an end, news reports indicate that it could continue well into 2018.

The Hill

Say it does come together and the conclusion of the matter is the Trump campaign team and the transition team were in fact guilty, and Donald Trump is guilt of obstruction and the information is credible and incredibly damaging. What then? Will the republicans in charge of congress just go on attempting to discredit the findings and Mueller himself, or will they do something about it?
blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 10:42 am
Quote:
David Frum
‏Verified account
@davidfrum
So much was weird in 2017, but perhaps the weirdest was that people who nearly triggered a pizzeria gun massacre to stop imaginary child molesters rallied to support an actual child molester’s campaign for US Senate
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 11:03 am
Zardoz wrote:
The Republicans are already beginning to have buyers remorse about their tax scam. Rubio said, "We probably went to far on (helping) corporations. " Rubio now says that corporations are sitting on a historic levels of cash and that the tax cuts will not likely to have much of an effect on the economy. By the way that was exactly what Bloomberg said before the tax scam was passed. Now Rubio now believes the money will be used by the corporations to buy back their stock and drive the price up. It will only make the rich even richer. This will be third time in thirty years that trickle down economics was tried and failed. Rubio is trying to put some distance between him and the Republican tax scam. The fact is Rubio knew this before he voted for the tax scam and he voted for it anyway. But he wants to run for office again and he wants to be the first to say it was just a scam to put more money in the Republican political donors pockets.

When Rubio was asked if he was worried about how unpopular the Republican tax scam was he replied that as soon as the public (idiots) got a little more change in their weekly pay envelop it would become popular. The sad fact is the American got a far worse deal than the Indians got for New York at least Indians still have something to show for it. The American public never realized what they lost for the Republican tax scams. Every time taxes are cut expenses must also be cut and the easiest target is our secondary education system. When I went to college you could mow a few lawns and easily pay your tuition now you could own a large lawn cutting service and not come close to paying your tuition. Education is such a good target because the cost of government cuts is shifted to the students who it seems can borrow any amount of money because uncle Sam is the debt collector. If one of those 18 years olds without a job went into a bank to borrow $300,000 they would lock them up for being nuts. The bank wouldn't loan them a $100 without a job.
blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 11:04 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Say it does come together and the conclusion of the matter is the Trump campaign team and the transition team were in fact guilty, and Donald Trump is guilt of obstruction and the information is credible and incredibly damaging. What then? Will the republicans in charge of congress just go on attempting to discredit the findings and Mueller himself, or will they do something about it?
Present behavior is not encouraging. The most fundamental concern of the present GOP is entrenching power and passing legislation in line with their ideology. The voices speaking out against Trump are muted and few and not many of those voices come from Republicans with any or much power.

I think we can count on the GOP to behave precisely as a corrupted entity would behave in such a circumstance.
blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 11:09 am
@hightor,
Quote:
But he wants to run for office again
That was pretty transparent, wasn't it?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 11:13 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
“Trump Rally: Stocks put 2017 in the record books

Quote:
Paul Waldman
‏@paulwaldman1
12h12 hours ago
More Paul Waldman Retweeted Donald J. Trump
Know who else saw record Dow averages?
-Barack Obama
-George W. Bush
-Bill Clinton
-George H.W. Bush
-Ronald Reagan
-etc.
Because despite short-term fluctuations, over time the Dow goes up.
hightor

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 11:33 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I think we can count on the GOP to behave precisely as a corrupted entity would behave in such a circumstance.

Public opinion has more influence on the behavior of elected criminals than it usually does on more enterprising public enemies in private practice. So we can expect that the alternative narrative — uranium deals, Seth Rich, pedophile rings, the "deep state", Mueller the Democrat, and HRC — will continue to be heavily pushed by right-wing media and dutifully covered by the MSM which will do its part to look "even-handed".

As long as the situation is seen as two competing stories with no commonly agreed upon facts it would be unlikely that sitting Republicans would see a need to distance themselves from the administration. Trump supporters might only comprise 40% of the population but they can be counted upon to vote. And the GOP has access to all the money it needs without having to raise money through small donations.

On another track, what a monumental disappointment that Jeff Flake "defection" turned out to be.
farmerman

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 11:42 am
@hightor,
Ive noticed that even after "issues" hqve either been resolved or debunked, the RWMSM continues to hammer on a subject (KInda like our own gungasnake will keep beating on dead issue)> It seems they keep trolling for deeper ignorance until the issue is re-emergent. (Like Uranium -1, even after several of the more honest pundits hqve said OOPS "my bqd"), guys like Hnnity will frequently exhume it nd use fresh facials s if it were new news and (therefore) possibly true.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 11:46 am
@blatham,
I think we should re-figure these% stock levels at the END of his regime. I dont think GWB had a plus stock market t the end of his term. Unless there was a lagging leader that oersisted as Obma was trying to resurrect the economy from the gathering DEPRESSION
blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 01:28 pm
@hightor,
I see two encouraging signs in all this. First, though the political news media is ill-equipped to deal with a figure like Trump, they are continuing to take him to task for all the things he's guilty of to a degree I've not seen before. The other day, snood made the understandable complaint that the recent NYT interview with Trump was merely doing stenography. I think that's accurate, but this is not always bad. The reason lawyers commonly manage their client's speech is because they recognize the dangers inherent in allowing that client to "hang himself". In any case, as I've said before, I think Jay Rosen has this Trump/media dilemma described better than anyone else.

Second, even given the right wing media's very real influence on US politics, Trump's popularity ratings continue to plummet. And along with that, there appears to be a strongly resurgent seriousness and activism on the left. With the two party system, I don't know how the US ever breaks away from the binary formulations but even within that constraint, the GOP could very well face a real ****-kicking next November.

And yeah, Flake proved himself unworthy of trust. But he wasn't the only one in the Senate to do so.
blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 01:31 pm
@farmerman,
Absolutely. Of course, Waldman was responding there to Trump's constant bullshit re "his" economy.
0 Replies