To avoid any confusion,

That's a bit optimistic.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
wmwcjr

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 03:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
As a Christian, you are somehow more qualified than others to criticize your fellow Christians?

No, sir. That is not what I meant. I simply meant that I was not an atheist or some other non-Christian who would view Christians as being outside of the tribe, so to speak; and I certainly recognize there are many non-Christians who don't have an antagonistic or hypercritical attitude toward Christians. I don't know if that makes any sense. I can see how you would misunderstand me.

I'm not in the business of looking down on other people. I've got more than my share of shortcomings and sins I still have to deal with. A very close friend of mine, who has been a deacon of my congregation, voted for Trump, as did his wife and (I assume) all four of his children. Even though I voted for a third-party candidate instead of Donald Trump, we still have a lot in common. We just don't talk politics; or, rather, I don't bring them up because doing so wouldn't accomplish anything positive. His older son was recently hired as a speechwriter by the Arizona Republican Party. I disagree with his political views; but his employment is an honor, and he's entitled to do what he pleases.

The criticisms I've expressed are of a historical nature. Ralph Reed, whom I cited in my previous post, is a white evangelical himself, has been intellectually courageous to point out the strong support for Jim Crow, historically speaking. I commend him for it. Most members of our various tribes don't care to air their dirty laundry or even acknowledge it exists.

By the way, the great American conservative writer Russel Kirk during the 1950s or '60s accused many, if not most, German conservatives of having supported Hitler. He said they were blinded by the Nazis' emphasis on traditional family values. I don't believe Kirk was endorsing liberalism by making these observations. Obviously, I commend him as well.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 03:41 pm
@Baldimo,
layman's pretty much covered it — when Aaron Klein told the one woman and her mother that he wouldn't do a cake for a gay wedding they left. But the Kleins had made a cake for the mother two years before. Reading that document is like picking through someone else's laundry; makes me want to take a shower or something.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 03:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Does it have to be as bad as Iran to get together and protest corruption?
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 04:12 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
. . . through his (my) magnificent rhetorical skills.

Uhm . . . run that by me again?
revelette1

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 04:53 pm
How the Russia inquiry began: An aide, drinks and political dirt (NYT)

Quote:
WASHINGTON — During a night of heavy drinking at an upscale London bar in May 2016, George Papadopoulos, a young foreign policy adviser to the Trump campaign, made a startling revelation to Australia’s top diplomat in Britain: Russia had political dirt on Hillary Clinton.

About three weeks earlier, Mr. Papadopoulos had been told that Moscow had thousands of emails that would embarrass Mrs. Clinton, apparently stolen in an effort to try to damage her campaign.

Exactly how much Mr. Papadopoulos said that night at the Kensington Wine Rooms with the Australian, Alexander Downer, is unclear. But two months later, when leaked Democratic emails began appearing online, Australian officials passed the information about Mr. Papadopoulos to their American counterparts, according to four current and former American and foreign officials with direct knowledge of the Australians’ role.

A whole lot more at the link. I think by this time anyone denying Trump campaign aides "collusion" just has to deny in the teeth of proof to the contrary. Why is it so important to deny it?
Lash

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 05:05 pm
@layman,
I’d like the chicks to get out of those government-mandated burquas.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 05:17 pm
@blatham,
Hey, georgeob's following my lead!

Just check out glitterbag's sig line. Cool
Lash

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:06 pm
@layman,
I love freedom.
BillW

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 08:21 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 6565882)
Quote:
I don't know what to do with this "Trump is sick" thesis.

Try taking it with a grain of salt.

Well, skepticism was my point. But the possibility certainly can't be dismissed. Reagan wasn't very much older when dementia set in. And there definitely is something wrong with this man. Because so much of his behavior has a history that long predates the present, I think it's more likely that he's some level of sociopath. Of course, both things could be happening.

Criminally Insane!
BillW

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 09:04 pm
@revelette1,
Collusion is not a crime, conspiracy is!

I can see tRump say; while on his way to the gray bar hotel for felony conspiracy to commit illegal election activities, tax fraud, felony money laundering, RICO, ad infinitum - "I told you I didn't collude!".
0 Replies

layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 10:41 pm
Ya know, the MSM really pisses me off. I mean, like, all year long they have been predicting imminent disaster every week. It all sounded so exciting, eh? Utter chaos, storm troopers rounding up cheese-eaters, Trump becoming Hitler, burning the constitution and declaring himself dictator for life, etc., but it NEVER happens. What a let-down, eh?

I had fond hopes of rummaging through the pockets of all the dead-ass cheese-eaters whose bodies lined the gutters and stealing all their ****. I clicked on every doomsday clickbait headline, hoping against hope that one would actually be true instead of just more fake news. What a rip-off.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 12:25 am
In An Interview, President Trump made 24 false or misleading claims

12-29-2017

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/factcheck/in-a-30-minute-interview-president-trump-made-24-false-or-misleading-claims/ar-BBHuIgy?ocid=UE13DHP
blatham

Sun 31 Dec, 2017 03:54 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Uhm . . . run that by me again?
Merely a logically necessary condition for finn's and george's thesis of my dominion over all other voices posting here. Gosh, I hope you didn't think I was like into the whole bragging thing.
0 Replies