monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:35 am
@Setanta,
Yes, I saw that. Here's a relevant observation I was going to post this morning:
Quote:
One year out, this may be Mr. Trump’s greatest trick: His tornado of news-making has scrambled Americans’ grasp of time and memory, producing a sort of sensory overload that can make even seismic events — of his creation or otherwise — disappear from the collective consciousness and public view.

He is the magician who swallows a sword no one thought was part of the act, stuffs a dozen rabbits into a hat before the audience can count them — and then merrily tweets about “Fox & Friends” while the crowd strains to remember what show it had paid to attend in the first place.
NYT
blatham

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't have a lot of criticism of Schmidt here. Normally, reporting that doesn't dig in but rather just provides itself as a conduit for PR, deserves criticism for that. But sometimes it's very worthwhile. If not for interviews with Trump, we'd know much less about him.
blatham

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:47 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
@blatham,
It's called lying. It's not a pathology, but a tactic.
Lying is just one aspect of many which suggest sociopathy (particularly given that he has so many of them). But of course he uses lying (and bullying, say) strategy.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:57 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Lash, wrong again!
Yes, one could say that.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:58 am
@BillW,
Quote:
I quit agree with Mike Schmidt here, he would not have got 30 minutes uninterrupted if he had of tried to interject. Give tRump enough rope and he will hang himself!
Yup.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 07:00 am
@layman,
Quote:
...if you're even accused of "sexual misconduct" (which includes "unwanted sexual advances," which itself includes asking a woman for a date who says "no") then you MUST immediately resign.

In the political world, only politicians whose proven behavior is especially egregious (like Rep. Franks) or those who are identified as particularly supportive of women's issues (like Sen. Franken) have resigned. Politicians like Roy Moore and Pres. Trump simply deny the allegations, attack the accusers, and court sympathy from their base over the unfairness of it all. Guys like Trump can't be embarrassed, they can't be shamed, so coming forward with accusations of misconduct in the hopes of forcing his resignation would be a futile tactic.

0 Replies

layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 07:08 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Marriage is NOT inhherently rligious wjch is why a JP can marry you. Someone who dellscakes to the public od ofgering a puliv acvomobdstio n not a private derbice likr arhuably thre boy scouts are. Itis settled lW they cannot discrininate.

Cheese-eating State courts who deliberately misconstrue the meaning of common words (such as public accomodation) to effect a political agenda can't thereby obliterate common sense and create "constitutional" rights.

Quote:
The [New Jersey] court's Appellate Division held that New Jersey's public accommodations law applied to the Boy Scouts because of its broad-based membership solicitation and its connections with various public entities, and that the Boy Scouts violated it by revoking Dale's membership based on his homosexuality. The court rejected the Boy Scouts' federal constitutional claims. The New Jersey Supreme Court affirmed.

The U. S. Supreme Court held that "applying New Jersey's public accommodations law to require the Boy Scouts to admit Dale violates the Boy Scouts' First Amendment right of expressive association." In effect, the ruling gives the Boy Scouts of America a constitutional right to bar homosexuals from serving as troop leaders.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1999/99-699

But, but, but....ONLY homosexual have rights, I tellzya! Aint nobody else got no rights. They only have the DUTY to cater to the whims of homosexuals.

Did someone ask what "homofascism" means?
blatham

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 07:18 am
Quote:
Fact Checker Analysis
In a 30-minute interview, President Trump made 24 false or misleading claims

That's less than one lie per minute. He's slowing down.
layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 07:25 am
@blatham,
No surpise that your link is to WaPo, eh? No surprise either that I can't read it unless I pay their ass, which I aint NEVER gunna do.

Does your eternal subscription allow you to let me in, eh?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 08:28 am
Kinda sounds like that there cake-baker, eh? He didn't want to celebrate, approve of, promote, further, or in any way express agreement with an illegal (at that time, at least) act of deviancy.

The U. S. Supreme Court wrote:
]The Boy Scouts asserts that it "teach[es] that homosexual conduct is not morally straight", and that it does "not want to promote homosexual conduct as a legitimate form of behavior."

If the Boy Scouts wishes Scout leaders to avoid questions of sexuality and teach only by example, this fact does not negate the sincerity of its belief discussed above.
layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 08:42 am
@layman,
Only a cheese-eater would think that your "message" is invalidated if you don't scream it loudly 24/7 and don't suppress any and all disagreement with it, as they tried to argue in the Dale case, eh?

The U. S. Supreme Court wrote:
The fact that the organization does not trumpet its views from the housetops, or that it tolerates dissent within its ranks, does not mean that its views receive no First Amendment protection.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 08:57 am
What all these wild-ass, commie-ass, atheistic left wing pervs refuse to acknowledge is the simple fact that atheism itself is a theological position.

They don't oppose the establishment of a religion. On the contrary, they fervently want to make their religious views State-mandated.

Needless to say, they do, however, adamantly oppose any first amendment right to the free exercise of religion.
layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 09:07 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Believe it or not, Finn, all of these posts I've made about cake-baking, the U.S. Constitution and it's relationship to State law, etc., have been at least indirectly and primarily addressed to you.

For one reason, you're one of the few posters here who would even understand the underlying principles.

Secondly, because I was quite surprised to see you post this:

Finn wrote:
I'm content with Oregon's law and I think the Kleins should move from that state if they are not.

They should just move if they don't like a law which is vulnerable to constitutional challenge, rather than contest it? Really?

revelette1

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 09:08 am
Speaking of the interview at Mar-a-Lago in an unrestrained atmosphere where club members and guest have easier access to the President without WH "minders;" which is how the interview came about. Just think about how much influence is possible from the rich club members and their guest, not to mention the President's guest to the President.

Mar-a-Lago is a respite for Trump — and a headache for his staff (WP)

Quote:
PALM BEACH, Fla. — When President Trump sat down with a reporter for a wide-ranging, 30-minute interview at his private golf club here Thursday, not a single aide or adviser was present at the table — and not a single aide or adviser knew about it in advance.

The interview was enabled by Christopher Ruddy — a club member with a level of personal access to the president in Florida that rankles White House staff. He invited New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt as his personal guest to lunch at Trump International Golf Club, strategically ensured they were seated near Trump's regular table and brought the reporter over to meet the president, who was still in his golf clothes.

As word trickled back to the White House, advisers worked to reach the president, with Trump's personal aide interrupting at one point to hand him a cellphone with White House communicators director Hope Hicks on the line, who checked in on the interview from afar. 

But others were out of the loop even after The Times story posted online Thursday evening. One White House official, when asked about the president's impromptu interview, was perplexed, wondering aloud, "What interview? Today?" Another frustrated aide called it "embarrassing."

Quote:
Mar-a-Lago, said Roger Stone, a former Trump campaign adviser and longtime friend of the president, "allows Trump to be Trump."

"Nobody tells Donald Trump where he can and cannot go," Stone said. "The president is able to get a lot of information that is normally blocked from getting to him . . . You don't have the minders. There is no doubt that he makes more calls."

Trump's personal quarters are off-limits to most members — several friends said they have never been inside.

His regular routine is simple and predictable: He wakes up, watches television, tweets, makes phone calls, reads the papers and works. He often emerges for golf if the weather allows, before returning to the club, where he sometimes eats lunch or has meetings with White House staff. He then returns to his living quarters, before emerging again for dinner.

He used to stop by tables to chat or wander the patio, but has stopped that in recent months, members and friends say.

Instead, Trump now sets up "a virtual rope line," said Ruddy — the chief executive of Newsmax, a conservative media company — where friends like he, Marvel chairman Ike Perlmutter and local restaurant owner Lee Lipton come to say hello. 

Trump, for instance, recently chatted with Blackstone CEO Steve Schwarzman for 30 minutes after dining with son-in-law Jared Kushner and daughter Ivanka Trump, according to people familiar with the meeting.

Since becoming president, members' access to Trump has tightened, said Shannon Donnelly, society editor of the Palm Beach Daily News. "It is one of the places where he can relax a little bit, but not anybody can just go up and talk to him at Mar-a-Lago," she said, before adding, "Unless he sees you and motions for you to come over for him."
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 09:33 am
@layman,
Quote:
What all these wild-ass, commie-ass, atheistic left wing pervs refuse to acknowledge is the simple fact that atheism itself is a theological position.

I'm not sure who you're referring to here. I don't deny that feral, communist, non-believing perverts might actually exist but I don't believe they're found in great numbers. Explicit atheism might be said to hold a theological position but not implicit (or "weak") atheism or agnosticism.
Quote:
They don't oppose the establishment of a religion.

Maybe the feral left-wing unbelieving perverts you're talking about think that way but that's certainly not the position of the majority of non-theists who are content to maintain the wall of separation between church and state.
Quote:
On the contrary, they fervently want to make their religious views State-mandated.

You mean the feral left-wing unbelieving perverts, right? I haven't noticed these people before so if you could provide some documentation of their existence and purpose that would be helpful.
Quote:
Needless to say, they do, however, adamantly oppose any first amendment right to the free exercise of religion.

Well they sound like awful people. Most of the non-religionists I know are happy to let people practice their religion as long they don't expect it to be tax-subsidized as long as it doesn't intrude into the public space.
layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 09:40 am
@hightor,
Hi wrote:
Maybe the feral left-wing unbelieving perverts you're talking about think that way but that's certainly not the position of the majority of non-theists who are content to maintain the wall of separation between church and state.

No, of course that's not the position of all the cheese-eaters here who are unanimously approving fining the religious expression of a private citizen on his own privately-owned property to the tune of $135,000 if it doesn't comport with their "non-religious" beliefs, eh?

Where's this "wall of separation" I wonder? These are State laws, aint they?

They aint tryin to learn nobody no lesson about how you better adopt our religion or else, eh?
blatham

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 09:48 am
Quote:
The Democratic advantage in the FiveThirtyEight generic ballot aggregate is up to about 12 points, 49.6 percent to 37.4 percent. That average, like the CNN poll, also shows Republicans in worse shape right now than any other majority party at this point in the midterm cycle since at least the 1938 election.

Nate notes that the 1938 date applies only because he doesn't have data prior to that date.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 10:09 am
@hightor,
Quote:
You mean the feral left-wing unbelieving perverts, right? I haven't noticed these people before so if you could provide some documentation of their existence and purpose that would be helpful.

As my Mama done said, that there one time, she said: "Looky here, layboy, they aint nobody so damn blind as them pervs what never see no kinda nuthin. Remember that, boy."

I said: "OK, Mama." And I remember, so I wasn't lyin, see?
0 Replies