monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Fri 29 Dec, 2017 08:45 pm
@layman,
No cigat gor you laymani. Yje civil rights laws of the 60s banned discrimination in places of public accomodation. Like cake.bakeries for example. They can always .ove to russia.

layman

Fri 29 Dec, 2017 09:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
Read much, Jack? As I just posted, the U.S. Supreme is, at this very moment, considering a cake-baking refusal case originating in Colorado. Signs are that they will hold the discrimination against cake-bakers engaged in by the State to be unconstitutional.

This aint no "settled matter" from the 60's. Read my other recent (i.e., last few) posts on this topic.
MontereyJack

Fri 29 Dec, 2017 09:41 pm
@layman,
I read, layman. No decision yet. If they do gut the civl rights acts.its snothher oindication that the trmpits really do intend to rewrite the lapws to trample on our rights and are s fanger to our county and must be temoved from olffice.

0 Replies

layman

Fri 29 Dec, 2017 09:52 pm
@layman,
Here's a little "bonus coverage," just for you Jack:

Quote:
Phillips said, "I feel I'm being compelled to create artwork for an event -- an inherently religious event -- that goes against my faith, and I'm being compelled to do so under penalty of jail time and fines."

The men told Phillips they wanted a cake to celebrate their planned wedding, which would be performed in another state. Same sex marriage was not yet legal in Colorado, but two men walked into the bakery. Phillips said he knew right away that he couldn't create the product they were looking for without violating his faith.

"The Bible says, 'In the beginning there was male and female,'" Phillips said. He offered to make any other baked goods for the men.

"At which point they both stormed out," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/05/politics/supreme-court-masterpiece-cakeshop/index.html

There's a savagely brutalized, "mentally raped" victim on every street corner these here days, eh?
MontereyJack

Fri 29 Dec, 2017 10:24 pm
@layman,
Marriage is NOT inhherently rligious wjch is why a JP can marry you. Someone who dellscakes to the public od ofgering a puliv acvomobdstio n not a private derbice likr arhuably thre boy scouts are. Itis settled lW they cannot discrininate.

Walter Hinteler

Fri 29 Dec, 2017 11:57 pm
@blatham,
Our Reporter Mike Schmidt on His Golf Club Interview With President Trump
Quote:
[...]
It is unusual to land an interview with the president, but even more rare for a reporter to get him one-on-one. I knew that what I was doing was not going to go over well with the White House press office, which hates being blindsided by the president making news. But for much of the next half-hour, Mr. Trump and I sat alone.
[...]
Some readers criticized my approach, saying I should have asked more follow-up questions. I believed it was more important to continue to allow the president to speak and let people make their own judgments about his statements. It was the best way to learn as much as possible about the president’s mindset and his views on issues like North Korea.

In the interview, the president did make news. He contradicted members of his own party, saying he believes the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, will treat him fairly. He said for the first time explicitly that he had gone soft on trade with China in the hopes that Beijing would help put pressure on North Korea to stop its nuclear weapons program. And he said that he never thought Roy Moore would win the Senate race in Alabama and that he had endorsed Mr. Moore only out of obligation.

At the end of the interview, Mr. Trump, who had asked about my golf game, told me that I should go out and play his course that afternoon. I told him I would not do that and I needed to file a story off the interview on deadline. He asked me to treat him fairly, we shook hands and I headed for my rental car. As I drove away from the club, I called my editors to tell them I had just spent half an hour alone with the president.
Olivier5

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 03:21 am
@blatham,
It's called lying. It's not a pathology, but a tactic.
Builder

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 03:32 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
It's not a pathology, but a tactic.

Like offering to bail out the DNC, in exchange for funneling all the states' donations to her own war chest is a tactic?
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 04:39 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Lash, right again!!!!!

Gloating is never cool, but misrepresenting her position and subsequently gloating over that is really pretty poor form.

So let's look at the context. Back on page 1853 Snood asks a question:
Snood wrote:
Do you think that if Hillary Clinton had won, Kirsten Gillibrand would still have assumed the tough stance about the Clinton's treatment of women? Do you think that if Hillary was president, Gillibrand would still have led the mob that ran Al Franken out of the Senate?

And Lash answered:
Lash wrote:
No.

The entire sexual harassment movement was designed to take down Trump. It's being fanned by establishment Dem advocate-journalists.

People have been trying to sell the Weinstein story for years with no luck. Suddenly now, in an effort to snare Trump, the doors were open. Weinstein's formidable web of gatekeepers stopped protecting him, and Ronan Farrow's story was finally published.

I don't believe this sex assault tidal wave would have been allowed during a Clinton presidency. Clinton buddy Weinstein would still be in power.

But in the clip Lash provides to "validate" her claim, Tarana Burke only says that the movement went viral because the year started off with Trump's inauguration and the Women's' March, and she points out that she started the #MeToo movement back in 2006. She does not say that the current concern with sexual harassment was designed to take down Trump, only that his election helped to inspire activists and victims.

Next, we have the beginning of the Weinstein case:
Quote:
In 2017, actress Alyssa Milano started using "Me too" as an Internet hashtag in response to accusations against Harvey Weinstein and other public figures of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and other abusive behavior. In October 2017, Milano acknowledged Burke's earlier use of the phrase on Twitter writing, "I was just made aware of an earlier #MeToo movement, and the origin story is equal parts heartbreaking and inspiring".

wiki
Her use of the #MeToo tag was independent of Burke's earlier movement but the two have joined together to help victims of assault and harassment.

Conspicuous by its absence is any mention of Hillary Clinton. Lash has opportunistically attempted to hijack a women's rights issue and turn it into part of her Hillary Clinton conspiracy. Social movements and cultural changes have a life of their own. Obviously Trump's boorish behavior has been put in a spotlight. But there's a big difference between saying that Trump's election sparked a movement and making the specious claim that, "The entire sexual harassment movement was designed to take down Trump." Don't forget that there were a lot of other characters who got run off the stage for sexual misconduct in 2017, before the Weinstein charges exploded into view. Cosby, O'Reilly, Ailes, Woody Allen, Polanski, Bill Clinton were all in the news; in fact charges are made against powerful men all the time. Having Trump in power has helped to focus attention on a long-festering problem.

As I said way back on page 1853:
Quote:
If you'd said that the movement was sparked by the Access Hollywood video and the crass behavior of candidate Trump I wouldn't have objected.

Lash, wrong again!
BillW

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 04:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
[...]
It is unusual to land an interview with the president, but even more rare for a reporter to get him one-on-one. I knew that what I was doing was not going to go over well with the White House press office, which hates being blindsided by the president making news. But for much of the next half-hour, Mr. Trump and I sat alone.
[...]
Some readers criticized my approach, saying I should have asked more follow-up questions. I believed it was more important to continue to allow the president to speak and let people make their own judgments about his statements. It was the best way to learn as much as possible about the president’s mindset and his views on issues like North Korea.

I quit agree with Mike Schmidt here, he would not have got 30 minutes uninterrupted if he had of tried to interject. Give tRump enough rope and he will hang himself!
Builder

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 04:52 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Gloating is never cool

You pretend to do it all the time, even after we've shown you how wrong you actually are.

hightor

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 05:23 am
@Builder,
Quote:
You pretend to do it all the time, even after we've shown you how wrong you actually are.

At least you can see that I'm only pretending to gloat. Sort of the way you pretend to show that I'm wrong.
Lash

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 05:24 am
@hightor,
Per usual, you make a lot of noise that doesn't address what I said, claiming it refutes my statement.

Incredibly but predictably dishonest.

What I said was accurate.
Builder

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 05:28 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Sort of the way you pretend to show that I'm wrong.

Your claim that states and municipalities cannot operate a "structural deficit" has been thoroughly put to bed. Only a weeping narcissist would cling to the claim after being handed several indicators of your own misguidedness, Hi.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 05:34 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Marriage is NOT inhherently rligious wjch is why a JP can marry you. Someone who dellscakes to the public od ofgering a puliv acvomobdstio n not a private derbice likr arhuably thre boy scouts are. Itis settled lW they cannot discrininate.

Just give it up, Jack. Instead of repeatedly embarrassing yourself by making inaccurate claims, why don't you actually read the sections of the 60's civil rights acts as they pertain to public accomodations?

Here, fool:

Quote:
Public accommodations, in US law, are generally defined as facilities, both public and private, used by the public. Examples include retail stores, rental establishments, and service establishments as well as educational institutions, recreational facilities, and service centers.

Under US federal law, public accommodations must be accessible to the handicapped and may not discriminate on the basis of "race, color, religion, or national origin."Private clubs were specifically exempted under federal law[3] as well as religious organizations.Title II's definition of public accommodation is limited to "any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests" and so is inapplicable to churches. Section 12187 of the ADA also exempts religious organizations from public accommodation laws, but religious organizations are encouraged to comply.

Various US states have nonuniform laws that provide for nondiscrimination in public accommodations.

Race, color, religion, national origin ONLY, get it?

"Public accomodation" is limited to establishments which provides "lodging to transient guests," get it? These laws had to rely on the commerce clause to provide a constitutional basis for over-riding local law, and hence the "public accomodations" involved had to be a significant relationship to, and effect on, interstate travel

As for State law, less than half the states have laws which purport to protect individuals against private "discrimination" on the basis of sexual orientation. That doesn't mean they're not unconstitutional.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 05:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 6565882)
Quote:
I don't know what to do with this "Trump is sick" thesis.

Try taking it with a grain of salt.

Well, skepticism was my point. But the possibility certainly can't be dismissed. Reagan wasn't very much older when dementia set in. And there definitely is something wrong with this man. Because so much of his behavior has a history that long predates the present, I think it's more likely that he's some level of sociopath. Of course, both things could be happening.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:06 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Per usual, you make a lot of noise that doesn't address what I said, claiming it refutes my statement.

I quoted your claim exactly as you wrote it on the 19th of December:
Lash wrote:
The entire sexual harassment movement was designed to take down Trump.

Yesterday you posted the following and claimed that Burke's statement vindicates your previous claim. It doesn't:
Lash wrote:
#MeToo founder says Trump election and women's march sparked the #metoo movement.

Do you really not see the difference?
blatham

Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Classic ad hominem...directed at D'Souza

Strictly speaking, I merely noted the author's name. I said nothing about his ideas/arguments.

But in any case, there's an element to ad hominem which applies. Here's one version of that:
Quote:
Of course, ad hominem arguments are not always wrong. There's another side to them. If someone is a known liar, there's a greater chance he's lying again. If someone is set make money if his claim is true, you should be more suspicious. Therefore, you shouldn't fully attack a person's claim based on their characteristics or beliefs, but you must factor them in. You will do this naturally so don't expend too many calories trying to strike the right balance
link here

You might dispute the suggestion that D'Sousa's body of work makes it clear that he is unworthy of anyone's attention. That's fine. I've been reading him for some 25 years and I won't be wasting another minute on the fellow.