monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
Builder

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 05:41 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Hold the kid back, and make him repeat his sophomore year until he gets it.

Yes, the system we have here, lets people think they're doing great, until they find out they can't even fill out a job application.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:14 pm
@MontereyJack,
But you got him
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I normally don't like it when people complain about others going off-topic...until I do it.
Smile
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 02:08 am
@blatham,
Mostly by selling over priced crap to gullible idiots.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 03:35 am
@hightor,
Quote:
We'll have a transportation network second to none, a 300 ship navy, and a battalion of marines on Mars — all paid for with tax cuts. 

Ain't the Don great? Tell you what, he's greater than Jesus, who merely fed the multitude with a few scraps of bread. Teump will feed millions of Americans with a couple of donuts.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 04:25 am
@Lash,
Hillary Clinton is now history. She's gone, passée, has-been, obsolete and antique. Yesterday's news. I know it's hard for you to let her go, but it's high time you do.
Builder

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 04:56 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Hillary Clinton is now history.

I'm sure she'd love to hear that.

Bombshell report: FEC complaint against Clinton campaign and DNC alleges money laundering scheme

BY ANNETA GRIFFEE / DECEMBER 19, 2017

According to a new complaint filed Monday with the Federal Election Commission, the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign allegedly colluded together to launder money through state chapters and then back to the campaign, as a way to get around campaign donation limits.

The complaint was filed by a political action committee, The Committee to Defend the President (CDP), a PAC that emerged from the closed “Stop Hillary PAC.

According to the complaint, Hillary Victory Fund (HVF) solicited political donations from big-name donors, including Calvin Klein and Seth MacFarlane. The money was reportedly sent through state chapters, to the DNC, then back to the Clinton campaign.

Based on analysis of FEC reports, the PAC said they discovered that the HVF either never transferred money to state chapters and back to the DNC, or did so without giving the state chapters actual control of the money.....

source

And it was only a few pages ago that blatham claimed she'd be the new prez any old day now, so she's gonna be a busy gal, again. ;-)
izzythepush

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 05:09 am
@Olivier5,
The alternative is dealing with the dog's breakfast Trump has made of the presidency, and none of his supporters are going to want to do that.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 05:21 am
@Builder,
Oh I know that you guys can't possibly let her go. She owns you. Your attachement to Hillary is so strong that even after she dies, you'll keep talking about her, on and on for years, with tears in your eyes...
farmerman

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 05:35 am
@Olivier5,
Trump has been giving Pa's own James Buchanan a run for the title
"WORST PRESIDENT EVER".

blatham

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 07:00 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Re: Builder (Post 6560662)
Oh I know that you guys can't possibly let her go. She owns you. Your attachement to Hillary is so strong that even after she dies, you'll keep talking about her, on and on for years, with tears in your eyes...

I think it's important to understand what's going on here.

Both marketers and political propagandists have long recognized that your message can be much more effective if it is "personalized". A page of stats or abstract theorizing do not carry the same emotional clout as, for example, a photograph. Remember the Pentagon's production of "most wanted Iraqis" playing cards. Or the bazillion instances we've all seen of a politician bringing "victimized" citizen to sit with them at a political event. Etc.

Another way we can observe the use of this technique is in how a key representative of one party will be made the focus of resentments and anger (eg Pelosi). This is what is going on with the Hillary focus.

But what's most interesting in this is Hillary's irrelevance in the current political situation in the US. Yet her name/likeness still gain daily focus of right wing media (and Trump but that's kind of the same thing). It isn't rational, in the normal sense of that word, but it is in terms of strategy based on how humans behave. In this propagandist messaging, Hillary is made to stand as representative of the left even while being effectively gone from the scene. It would be similar to a situation where, say, MSNBC was to blanket its coverage with daily or hourly attacks on Reagan.

But why the choice of Hillary? And why are they still at it?
1) this pattern was established when Bill was running and was maintained through his presidency (being most acute during the Hillarycare project). Because the pattern has existed in the right wing media for decades, it's very easy to re-stimulate the minds of the right wing audience concerning her (and Bill).
2) As soon as it became highly likely that she'd be the Dem candidate last cycle, all the machinery of right wing media turned to concentrate its fire on her.
3) There is no other figure on the left who (because of all the above) is so easily labeled and demeaned within the right wing mental universe. They tried with Obama (and are still trying) but he doesn't fit the propaganda needs nearly so well.
4) GOP strategists understood clearly that Hillary would be very difficult to beat in the election. One of the vectors of the propaganda attack on her was to encourage voices from her left (or apparently from the left) to rail against her. The involvement of right wing agitators in the Sanders movement had this function - magnify the negative narratives and, hopefully, keep Dem voters from supporting her/voting. If you hadn't figured it out already, this is Lash's game here.
5) Gender. The GOP understands that it is in serious danger of being swamped electorally if more women get politically active. So right wing media will tend to focus a lot of demeaning and sexist narrative towards rising female Dem figures. Thus "Pocahantus". And they will be going for Gillibrand in the same manner (Lash already is doing this).
Walter Hinteler

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 07:57 am
@blatham,
For someone living lifelong in a system with more than two parties in the parliament (and sometimes even in the government) it isn't so easy to understand. Loosing candidates are fast forgotten, the family of politicans (still) is private.

Besides that, we still aren't at the level of insults and slander, false accusations and suspicions of political opponents and their followers as is done in the USA (quite a bit of that would [still] be punishable here).
revelette1

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 08:27 am
4 Winners and 4 losers from the Republican tax bill

Winners

Corporate America
Donald Trump
Individual tax payers--for the short term
Tax accountants

Losers

Individual tax payers--in the long term
Fiscal conservatism
Blue States
Obamacare Marketplaces

Read Here at Vox
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 08:31 am
@blatham,
Wish I could thumb you up a second time. Good post which explains the Hillaryism of the right.
Olivier5

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 08:48 am
@farmerman,
You mean, you already had a president who was as bad as Trump??? That's good news; it means the US can survive the present cretin...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 09:00 am
@blatham,
She's the Democrat Republicans love to hate, of course. They miss her so much that they can't stop talking about her. Reason for which I think the Dems should dispach her to the netherworld of failed presidential candidates ASAP, in non-ambiguous terms. She's just too good for the repukes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 09:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
yup. it really seems to be a curiously American situation/phenomenon. every time says that Canada and the US are so similar/can't tell them apart, I suggest they look at politics/media. couldn't be more different. I guess it's part what of fascinates me - on top of being a politics nerd since I was a kid.