monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 01:00 pm
Quote:
Alex Jones' Gut Tells Him FBI Will Try To Kill Trump In The Next Month
C and L

And this guy is pulling in multi-millions each year playing this well-established right wing con-the-idiots game.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 01:08 pm
Here's a tax professor running down the many, many new loopholes created by this bill:

https://twitter.com/davidckamin/status/942760840775831552

In short, a good tax lawyer can game the **** out of this bill, which is full of perverse incentives, to pay way, way less in taxes than they were previously. And the Corker Kickback opens up the door to a gigantic amount of corporate tax evasion.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 01:11 pm
@blatham,
Very disappointing for a couple of posters here, because it's by The Intercept:

The FBI Routinely Abuses Its Powers but the Trump Investigation Has Been By the Book
Quote:
Right-wing media and politicians aren’t entirely wrong about the FBI. It is a secret police that bangs down people’s doors, follows Americans, intercepts digital communications, digs through trash, and harasses and threatens potential informants or targets of criminal investigations. In fact, civil rights activists and left-wing groups have been complaining about this for more than 50 years. And since the 9/11 attacks, Muslims in the United States have been subjected to an unprecedented level of intrusive surveillance. A common joke in mosques around the country: “Whenever I pray on Friday, I just assume the man next to me is an FBI informant.”

While it’s entirely true that the FBI has few checks on its power, right-wing media did not rouse itself until allegations emerged that the Trump campaign colluded with Russian intelligence agents. What’s amusing about the right’s sudden anti-FBI hysteria is that little evidence suggests Mueller’s investigation has been anything but by the book.
blatham

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 01:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I can't imagine who you might be thinking of, Walter.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 01:23 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I think this second time is a calculated misstatement of my opinion.

Look, it's not as if your statements have been particularly clear, so why complain about being given an opportunity to make yourself understood? You ought to be thankful that anyone on this thread is actually encouraging you to say something.

Quote:
Clinton’s camp may have started the sex abuse ball rolling toward Trump...

Are you claiming that the only reason we have a #metoo movement is that the Democrats wanted to use Trump's misogyny for political gain? The level level of outrage finally (temporarily?) reached a critical mass — don't question the sincerity of those women who have come forward and put their careers on the line by even suggesting that it's all part of some anti-Trump conspiracy.

Do you believe that highly-placed party operatives covered for Harvey in order to preserve the flow of cash into the party coffers? That doesn't make that much sense either; since HW had so much money at his disposal already I think he'd have been pretty well positioned to arrange his own cover.

Do you think the Dems have been putting up the hush money for him all these years? Even though he's got more money than they do?

HW got away with his revolting behavior because he was rich. Equally revolting is the instant status our society confers on rich pigs — next thing you know, one will be elected president.

I apologize for responding to Lash's posts and I hope everyone here will do the right thing and thumb me down. Like I just did.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 01:25 pm
@hightor,
haha, STAHP

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 02:41 pm
Quote:
Joe Scarborough‏Verified account
@JoeNBC
Joe Scarborough Retweeted Quinnipiac Poll

Horrific Trump Numbers:

62 - 37% say that he does not care about average Americans

62 - 34% say that he's not honest

62 - 35% say that he does not have good leadership skills

70 - 28% say that he is not level headed

65 - 32% that he does not share their values.
Poll here
blatham

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 02:56 pm
Quote:
NPR‏Verified account
@NPR
More NPR Retweeted Camille Phillips
Texas charter schools graduated 62 percent of students on time in 2016, versus 90 percent for traditional public schools, a state report finds.
link here
layman

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 02:58 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
NPR‏Verified account
@NPR
More NPR Retweeted Camille Phillips
Texas charter schools graduated 62 percent of students on time in 2016, versus 90 percent for traditional public schools, a state report finds.
link here

Texas has integrity. They don't graduate students until they actually deserve it.
MontereyJack

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 03:16 pm
@layman,
He wasn' elected. He was appointed by tbe electoral college after the voters roundly rejected him. He is a phony. We do NOT want him.

layman

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 03:24 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

He wasn' elected. He was appointed by tbe electoral college after the voters roundly rejected him. He is a phony. We do NOT want him.

Hahahahahaha.

Thanks, Jack, I needed the laugh.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 03:29 pm
@MontereyJack,

Stupid question, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 04:39 pm
What a surprise, eh?

Quote:
Hillary Clinton campaign, DNC accused of 'corrupt' money scheme

A new legal complaint filed with the Federal Election Commission alleges that the Hillary Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee used state chapters as strawmen to circumvent campaign donation limits and laundered the money back to her campaign.

In its complaint, the CDP alleges that about $84 million was funneled illegally from the DNC through state party chapters and back into the war chest of the Clinton campaign.

HVF would purportedly transfer funds to its constituent political committees, which included between 34 and 40 state parties. On the very same day each of these transfers supposedly occurred, or occasionally the very next day, every single one of those state parties purportedly contributed all of those funds to the DNC.

CDP counsel Dan Backer said the scheme was a flagrant violation of a Supreme Court ruling that determined such moves were illegal. The Supreme Court first recognized these practices were illegal when it ruled in a 2014 case involving Shaun McCutcheon, a businessman and electrical engineer from suburban Birmingham, Ala.

The allegations seem to echo claims by former DNC chair Donna Brazile while promoting her book earlier this year. In her 2017 book “Hacks,” Brazile recounts how she saw the money being moved.

“Individuals who had maxed out their $2,700 contribution limit to the campaign could write an additional check for $353,400 to the Hillary Victory Fund—that figure represented $10,000 to each of the 32 states’ parties who were part of the Victory Fund agreement—$320,000—and $33,400 to the DNC,” reads a passage from the book. “The money would be...funneled directly to the DNC, which quickly transferred the money to [Clinton campaign headquarters in] Brooklyn.”

Anything like this involving money over $25,000 is a criminal violation, courtesy of a Chuck Schumer proposal.

Not sure, but I think $84 million is more than $25,000.

Builder

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 04:48 pm
@layman,
Quote:
What a surprise, eh?

This was probably written into her contract, when she offered to "bail out" the DNC before nominating.
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 04:58 pm
That's an increase of 2% overnight.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows that 43% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Fifty-five percent (55%) disapprove.

The latest figures include 29% who Strongly Approve of the way Trump is performing and 46% who Strongly Disapprove. This gives him a Presidential Approval Index rating of -17.

roger

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 05:18 pm
@layman,

layman wrote:

Texas has integrity. They don't graduate students until they actually deserve it.

You mean the number of graduates might not be the only goal.

New Mexico increased the number of graduates but so did the others so we remained second from bottom. I believe we were beat out by Maine.