monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Cycloptichorn

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:10 am
Not only is the tax-cut bill a gigantic giveaway to wealthy corporations who don't need the funds - and won't create any new jobs with those funds - it is full of pork and direct, targeted benefits that enrich the president and many GOP senators.

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/senator-orrin-hatch-says-he-wrote-tax-provision-center-corker-controversy-2629922

https://www.commondreams.org/sites/default/files/users/user20544/screen_shot_2017-12-19_at_8.02.24_am.png

Remember: your tax cut is small and temporary, so theirs could be large and permanent.

Cycloptichorn
Below viewing threshold (view)
Cycloptichorn

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:13 am
@Lash,
Hey - enough about the ******* Clintons in this thread. I normally don't like it when people complain about others going off-topic, but you're being a real jerk about it at this point.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:21 am
https://thinkprogress.org/wells-fargo-ceo-tax-reform-job-6b6b8462f239/

Quote:
Wells Fargo CEO reveals the scam at the heart of Republicans’ tax bill

In an interview with CNN Money, Wells Fargo CEO Tim Sloan made it clear what he plans to do with the corporation’s tax windfall — and it doesn’t benefit the average American worker.

“Is it our goal to increase return to our shareholders and do we have an excess amount of capital? The answer to both is, yes,”
Sloan told CNN Money. “So our expectation should be that we will continue to increase our dividend and our share buybacks next year and the year after that and the year after that.”

The idea that this tax bill will create new jobs or increase worker wages is a sick joke. It's literally the same trickle-down bullshit that's been pushed since Reagan in the 80's.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:25 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Remember when Karen Hughes came up with the phrase "compassionate conservatism". The entire purpose of this exercise in language use was to hopefully counter the widespread notion held by Americans that the GOP was the party of business and the wealthy, that it was locked into ideological certainties, and that it really didn't give a damn about most Americans.

So, given this tax bill, I think we can soon expect a book from Coulter or Huckabee titled "The Robin Hood and Donald Trump Tax Relief For Everyone Act"
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Not only is the tax-cut bill a gigantic giveaway to wealthy corporations who don't need the funds - and won't create any new jobs with those funds - it is full of pork and direct, targeted benefits that enrich the president and many GOP senators.

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/senator-orrin-hatch-says-he-wrote-tax-provision-center-corker-controversy-2629922

https://www.commondreams.org/sites/default/files/users/user20544/screen_shot_2017-12-19_at_8.02.24_am.png

Remember: your tax cut is small and temporary, so theirs could be large and permanent.

Cycloptichorn

So Corker and comrades will get tax cuts for investing in real estate, but I will no longer be able to get relief for my property tax or the hefty tax we pay to the State of Maryland (don’t get me started on the extra costs for the County and State police constant assistance to the federal government in protecting federal government officials).

That sounds fair. 🤩
Cycloptichorn

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:31 am
@Lash,
Nobody wants you to respond! Go create a 'Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton suck' thread and I'll participate, just quit blathering about old news here

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:35 am
@glitterbag,
Yup. It's infuriating that so many individual citizens are being impacted negatively, just so some rich fuckers can get even more rich.

It would be one thing if the bill simply lowered rates for everyone, but it actually RAISES taxes on so many people...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

layman

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:36 am
@glitterbag,
Yeah! People who pay no income tax won't get a tax cut and won't pay less taxes. Can you believe that ****!!?

All they'll get is MORE cash money mailed to them by the government. What a ripoff!

Quote:
The GOP's tax overhaul bill doubles the current child tax credit from $1,000 to $2,000 per child under age 17, and allows parents to receive up to $1,400 as a refund, if the credit is larger than their federal income tax liability.

Currently, the child tax credit is $1,000 and only partially refundable.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/16/news/economy/child-tax-credit/index.html

And look at this!!

Quote:

The latest tax bill doubles the standard deduction to $24,000, but wipes out the deduction for personal exemptions, meaning that larger families will get less of a break.

EVERYONE gets a tax break (if they even pay taxes to begin with) but it might not be as much for "larger families," eh?

Just ignore the fact that the increased child credit is given on a PER CHILD basis, so that "larger families" will get much more, eh?

People will die, just like the Democrats claim, I tellya!

0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
1) I don't think corporate tax rates needed to be lowered (especially not to 21%), especially without conditions that any recouped tax savings would need to be spent on employees as opposed to investors/CEOs.

2) Hate that it adds to the deficit.

3) Hate that savings are heavily centered on the rich.

4) Love doubling the standard deduction, that benefits millions of tax payers, especially lower income ones and those who didn't qualify for the biggest deductions (mortgage interest, property tax). It also simplifies the taxes for millions of people, and this change is permanent. Even though I own a home now, I think this change is still wonderful for all those people who rent (poorer and younger Americans)

I haven't seen too much around some of the tax loopholes that are closing, but I hope they are significant.

Also, I believe that the republicans are correct in betting that in 6-8 years when the public tax cuts are set to expire that whatever congress is in place will vote to renew them. I'd put money on it. Which means that this bill will add to the deficit even more, which is also very discouraging.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:43 am
@maporsche,
In order,

maporsche wrote:

1) I don't think corporate tax rates needed to be lowered (especially not to 21%), especially without conditions that any recouped tax savings would need to be spent on employees as opposed to investors/CEOs.

Agreed. It will not lead to more jobs or higher wages for employees, there really was no point to this. Also - it didn't actually SIMPLIFY the corporate tax code, it just lowered the rates; so, it doesn't make compliance any easier. Far form it.

Quote:
2) Hate that it adds to the deficit.

3) Hate that savings are heavily centered on the rich.

Agreed and agreed.

Quote:
4) Love doubling the standard deduction, that benefits millions of tax payers, especially lower income ones and those who didn't qualify for the biggest deductions (mortgage interest, property tax). It also simplifies the taxes for millions of people, and this change is permanent. Even though I own a home now, I think this change is still wonderful for all those people who rent (poorer and younger Americans)

Agreed but the bill also removes personal exemptions, so the impact here is more modest than you would think. There are also a wide variety of other tax breaks enjoyed by the middle-class that were removed.

Quote:
I haven't seen too much around some of the tax loopholes that are closing, but I hope they are significant.

Quite the opposite. This bill creates massive new loopholes for pass-through corporations and other wealthy entities.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:48 am
Quote:
We’re witnessing the wholesale looting of America
Unchecked by norms or political prudence, it’s smash-and-grab time for the GOP.

Over the course of 2017, both in Congress and in the executive branch, we have watched the task of government devolve into the full-scale looting of America.

Politicians are making decisions to enrich their donors — and at times themselves personally — with a reckless disregard for any kind of objective policy analysis or consideration of public opinion.
Vox
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:52 am
Here is a calculator that shows how the tax bill will affect people/households. Of course, individuals will vary and some will see their taxes go up regardless of what the calculator says.

It's based on the Senate version with a note that it's being updated based on the one they are voting on.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/13/politics/calculate-americans-taxes-senate-reform-bill/index.html

The wealthier save a lot more, both in percentages in raw dollars.

It does look like most everyone saves something though, at least until the tax cuts are supposed to expire (but I believe that congress will extend them).
maporsche

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 12:00 pm
@glitterbag,
It sounds like you get to claim up to $10,000 in SALT deductions. Not enough to cover all my taxes in Illinois either, but it's better than $0.
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 12:11 pm
@maporsche,
Here is one from the NYT.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/17/upshot/tax-calculator.html

Personally it shows that I'd save around $2,800 per year.
Knowing that, I still wish this bill wouldn't pass. It raises the deficit too much and is too heavily geared towards the wealthy.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 12:37 pm
I've been thinking about the unique behaviors Trump has displayed towards Putin as contrasted by his behaviors with other national leaders and with the American news media and with Republicans or Dems who campaigned against him and citizens who've spoken out against him.

Trump's go-to strategy is to insult and smear. Any counter to Trump's imagined or desired status to be the dominant one gains his immediate and often long-lasting enmity. He is the classic male authoritarian bully sociopath. He sneeringly labels Kim Jong-un with the same language and suggestions as he did Marco Rubio - "little Marco" or "little rocket man". Or take his non-verbal, physical behavior towards the other NATO leaders when he pushed his way to center stage. Or take what he did to Chris Christie.

It's important, I think, to understand Trump's behavior as being motivated by a deep and consistent need to dominate anyone he comes in touch with (or at least to be perceived as dominant). It's not just Americans but anyone who might challenge his domination behaviors. Kim John-un's rockets and nuke program is experienced by Trump as a personal affront to Trump's dominance in the world.

But none of this applies as regards Putin. The relationship here is entirely unique. It is unimaginable that Trump would describe Putin in the language he used with Ted Cruz or Rubio or Clinton or the American press or even people in his own WH or institutions like the FBI whereas it is entirely believable to imagine him doing this with anyone other than Putin.

With Putin, Trump doesn't play the alpha male game. He switches from bully to sidekick. Why this is so seems likely to be something we'll get answers to via Meuller.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 12:48 pm
These ******* idiots... they are so far removed from the common person, they know literally nothing about our lives.

https://shareblue.com/clueless-gop-senator-touts-six-figure-earners-as-average-americans/

Quote:
John Cornyn wrote:

Under #TaxCutsandJobsAct a married couple earning $100,000 per year ($60,000 from wages, $25,000 from their non-corporate business, and $15,000 in business income) will receive a tax cut of $2,603.50, a reduction of nearly 24 percent.

How many married couples in this country make $100k to begin with? Plenty, but it's above the average. But how many of them have a $25k 'non-corporate' business and $15k in 'business income?' Very, very few.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies