monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Blickers

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 12:28 am
@BillW,
Quote BillW:
Quote:
I have come to the conclusion tRump avoids Russia because of the most nefarious of reasons, he is one of Putin's agents!
And like the trained KGB agent he once was, Putin has Trump believing he's not really one of his agents, Trump just does what Putin suggests because Trump knows that Putin can reveal decades of Trump's illegal dealings with Putin's associates. As if there was any essential differences between those two things-an enemy agent or a guy who just follows the suggestions of the enemy's leader.
BillW

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 01:27 am
@Blickers,
If really true Blickers, Mueller will know and reveal the truth. Even tRump knows this.....
BillW

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 01:48 am
@BillW,
tRump gets jail time no matter what he does. Even if he pardons himself, he will get state charges for himself and most if not all of his family that will get them prison time. This is a corrupt family! "My father told me it was ok to do it this way" or "Roy Cohn said this was legal" is not a defense under the law. He hasn't played the game square enough to get political cover. He has thumbed his nose at the people that could of protected him.
Builder

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 02:26 am
@BillW,
Quote:
He has thumbed his nose at the people that could of protected him.

Could've is a contraction of "could have" William.

I'm still wondering how an entrepreneur with zero political experience can even nominate for election to the highest office in the land.

I used to think a term as a governor of a state was a prerequisite.
hightor

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 03:53 am
@Builder,
Quote:
I'm still wondering how an entrepreneur with zero political experience can even nominate for election to the highest office in the land.

Well, he had a top-rated reality TV show, didn't he? He dated glamorous babes and he's a billionaire. He tells his fans what they want to hear. The qualifications for the office as spelled out in the constitution aren't that restrictive:
Quote:
No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

At the time the document was written, restrictions on who could run for the office were somewhat set by the limitation of voting rights to male property-owners.
Builder

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:05 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The qualifications for the office as spelled out in the constitution aren't that restrictive:

GW bankrupted all of his businesses, didn't he? I think the job should actually carry quite a few more provisos than daddy having filled the slot before, or how much money you can throw at advertising.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:13 am
Uh-huh . . . how many restrictions are there on those who would be idiot-in-chief in Oz? In fact, your system is far less democratic than the one here--your party leaders are chosen by party members, and not the general electorate. What a BS merchant your are.
Builder

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:20 am
@Setanta,
I didn't see a single mention of Trump in your sentiment there, Canuckster.

We are part of the commonwealth of the ol' dart, and the westminster system we inherited from them is currently under a cloud of doubt, with the head catholic on paedophile charges, and most of the elected reps under a dual citizenship cloud.

Feel free to start a thread about it, because like you, I'm completely pissed off with our current crop of bankster caymans bank johnnies.

As for the party choosing the head, how did Trump get to be the top of the tree in the GOP? An internal raffle, perhaps?

And Clinton bought herself a whole party, right? Owned the DNC, lock, stock, and smoking emails.

Setanta

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:26 am
@Builder,
I am not a Canadian, you great braying jackass. No surprise that you want to call people disobliging names. There is already a long-running thread on politics in your sad, little country, and I assure you that I will never start a thread because a clown like you tells me to.
Setanta

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:27 am
@Builder,
By the way, you must take the short bus. Party leaders in the United States are chosen by the voters at large, not a pack of self-interested party members. Your ignorance is monumental.
blatham

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:29 am
Today's edition of Voices From The Right
Quote:
President Trump and his admirers are not just putting forth an agenda; they are littering the civic arena with deception and cruelty. They are discrediting even the good causes they claim to care about. They are condemning the country to durable social division. In Trump’s GOP, loyalty requires corruption. So loyalty itself must be reconceived.

What would weaken the grip of Trump on the GOP? Obviously not moral considerations. The president has crossed line after line of decency and ethics with only scattered Republican bleats of protest. Most of the party remains in complicit silence. The few elected officials who have broken with Trump have become targets of the conservative media complex — savaged as an example to the others.
Michael Gerson
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:34 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
and I assure you that I will never start a thread because a clown like you tells me to.

You already did, to get people out of this thread. I guess that memory ain't what it used to be, right?

Quote:
There is already a long-running thread on politics in your sad, little country

I'm sure there is, but you could've linked us up, by now.

Quote:
I am not a Canadian
Then why do you live there?
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:36 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Party leaders in the United States are chosen by the voters at large, not a pack of self-interested party members. Your ignorance is monumental.

Here's a clue for you, kiddo; if a party leader does not win the seat in which they have nominated in Australia, and their party wins, but they don't win their seat, they can not remain as the leader of their party.

Feel better now, kitten? Your ignorance seems much more purrrfected than mine.

And we've only got six states and two territories, but on a per capita basis, are the most over-governed bunch in the commonwealth. I'm getting the feeling that is likely to be changing very soon.

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:46 am
How much further evidence is required for people to understand that Rupert Murdoch runs a criminal organization?
Quote:
Senior executives at Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox corporation are alleged to have agreed for millions of dollars in bribes to be paid to South American soccer officials to secure major broadcast deals, according to US prosecution documents unmasked by sworn testimony.

The documents form part of the sprawling US investigation into corruption in world football, and for the first time reveal the executives’ alleged role in the scheme.
Guardian
Builder

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:49 am
@blatham,
Quote:
How much further evidence is required for people to understand that Rupert Murdoch runs a criminal organization?

He's been convicted of political manipulation in Europe and the ol' dart, but in the US of A, didn't he establish the fact that he deals in infotainment, rather than news?

I see him as a captain of the disaster capitalism movement, which, BTW, your current POTUS is party to. The alternative "choice" was also this way inclined.

Other nations call it vulture capitalism, but the US likes to put their own spin on narcissism.
hightor

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 05:29 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Other nations call it vulture capitalism, but the US likes to put their own spin on narcissism.

That's not the way the term "vulture capitalism" is normally used.
Quote:
Vulture capitalists are investors that acquire distressed firms in the hopes of making them more profitable so as to ultimately sell them for a profit.

Wiki
Mitt Romney was accused of being a vulture capitalist but I don't see either the narcissist Trump or boss Murdoch fitting that role.
Builder

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 05:37 am
@hightor,
Quote:
That's not the way the term "vulture capitalism" is normally used.

You quite predictably get this kind of word dead wrong. Oh, Magoo, etc....

DEFINITION of 'Vulture Capitalist' 1. A slang word for a venture capitalist who deprives an inventor of control over his or her own innovations and most of the money the inventor should have made from the invention. 2. A venture capitalist who invests in floundering firms in the hopes that the firms will turn around.

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 05:47 am
"Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRDHiyoUMAAvd6F.jpg:large
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 07:16 am
The G.O.P.’s Legislative Lemons

Quote:
In 27 years, Republicans have passed one popular conservative law and spent most of that time voting against things that clear majorities of Americans wanted. If they weren’t serving Americans, whom were they serving? And how have they gotten away with it?

The answers to both questions, alas, are depressingly familiar. They are serving their megarich donors and the most extreme elements of their base. And they get away with it because of the way they’ve gerrymandered House districts, because of an ideological right-wing media that obfuscates facts and because the one thing they’ve done astonishingly well is to make a big chunk of the country hate liberals.

NYT
revelette1

Fri 15 Dec, 2017 07:42 am
Quote:
DOJ: Release of FBI agents’ controversial texts wasn't authorized

The Justice Department said on Thursday that the release of text messages between two former investigators in the federal probe into Russian election meddling, in which President Trump was referred to as an "idiot," was not authorized.

"As we understand now, some members of the media had already received copies of the texts before that — but those disclosures were not authorized by the department," DOJ spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores said in a statement to Politico. 

Flores said the messages between Lisa Page and Peter Strzok were given to certain members of the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday before Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein publicly testified before the committee on Wednesday.

The Justice Department's inspector general came across the texts during an assessment into the FBI's handling of the Clinton investigation, however, Flores' statement did not say whether the office approved the release of the texts to the media.

The text messages appear to show Strzok and Page openly criticizing Trump during the election, and appearing to support former Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

Strzok referred to Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) as "an idiot like Trump," while Page called Trump "a loathsome human."

God, Hillary should win 100,000,000 — 0," Strzok said in one message to Page.

Strzok was removed from his assignment after special counsel Robert Mueller learned of the text.

Republicans have since pounced on the text messages, saying they show a bias on Mueller's team toward Trump.

The Hill

So are the republicans now going to put the entire FBI and Mueller team of the special counsel into the Russian probe on a litmus test? Are they going to be required to recite an oath of loyalty to Trump before allowed in the FBI or be involved with Mueller team of lawyers and investigators?