monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 11:43 am
@revelette1,
The "Right" don't attack the truth, the attack strawmen because they can't defend their evil brethren!
Below viewing threshold (view)
BillW

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 12:48 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm on the right. I'm more of a moderate. But I for one attack falsehoods.

Thanks for the laugh, best since tRump announced he was running for President (of the USA mine you). Unfortunately, he will never succeed in the job, much less, in life!
oralloy

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 01:28 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
Thanks for the laugh, best since tRump announced he was running for President (of the USA mine you).

All I do is point out truth and reality.

BillW wrote:
Unfortunately, he will never succeed in the job, much less, in life!

That is incorrect. Trump will be as highly regarded as Lincoln. People who hate trump will be as highly regarded as those who hated Lincoln.
farmerman

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 01:43 pm
@oralloy,
You think Trump will ever release his past tax returns? What's he fraid of?
oralloy

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 02:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You think Trump will ever release his past tax returns?

Not voluntarily.

farmerman wrote:
What's he fraid of?

Having his privacy violated.
farmerman

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 02:03 pm
@oralloy,
the new norm for any later "dons"
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 02:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The more we learn the more noxious the stink
I think so as well. But the smell is coming from somewhere else.
Quote:
You’ve seen the on-going pseudo-controversy about two FBI employees who sent texts to each other trashing now-President Trump. The two were having an affair at the time and Special Agent Peter Strzok was reassigned off the Mueller probe and in essence demoted over the texts. Public employees are allowed to have political opinions. Indeed, there are laws specifically protecting government employees from being disciplined or having their work affected by their political views. The only real infraction here seems to be that the two used government devices to discuss their private political opinions when they should have reserved those for their personal devices – hardly a major infraction.

Nonetheless, defenders of the President have leaped from these emails to saying the entire Clinton emails probe – Strzok was involved in both probes – and the Mueller investigation are irreparably tainted. Others are going so far as to say the DOJ and the FBI need to undergo a political purge. The head of one prominent right-wing legal advocacy group went as far as to say the FBI should be shut down. It is a stark reminder of how many will go so far so quickly to prevent the enforcement of the law and lawful investigations when it comes to Donald Trump.

This is all nonsensical. Despite Strzok’s high-ranking role, he wasn’t in charge of either investigation. And no probes like this get decided on one person’s whim. It was probably right – as a matter of optics and prudence – for Mueller to reassign Strzok. But there is zero evidence he did anything wrong or tainted the investigation in any way. The entire controversy is an effort to discredit the Mueller probe and give President Trump and his associates legal impunity. It’s fine to have an investigation. I can’t prove the negative that Strzok did nothing wrong. So fine, investigate.
TPM

Why do modern right wingers so easily fall to the same gambit? They've been trained to a mentality of deep grievance, of victimization, and of the nearly instinctual rejection of our culture's (and the world's) means of establishing reality. They've been trained to accept character smears and ad hominems as the most dependable language of truth-finding. And they've been trained by people who are making billions every year by playing this con.
hightor

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 02:54 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
They've been trained to accept character smears and ad hominems as the most dependable language of truth-finding.

Ain't that the truth.

Speaking of character smears, I like this one:

Quote:
Personally, I would think a lot more favorably of someone who sells his or her sexual favors to win an election ...

How would this state of affairs even occur? How is someone going to win an election — not an appointment to an office, an election — by selling "sexual favors"?

Quote:
...than the sort of political whore who would sell the lives of young American men and women to achieve the same gain.

You mean like making a big show of fighting terrorism by floating the lie that a perceived enemy possesses weapons of mass destruction?

See, there's no real content here. It's just a set up to call Gillibrand a whore and insult people who are accused of being "liberals". Very few of the resident rightists here actually defend Trump. They spend way more time criticizing the media, raking over the dying embers of Team Clinton, and insulting other people who post on this thread. I haven't seen a substantive defense of the tax bill, for instance. Or a rationale for hollowing out the State Department. Or a good reason for ending net neutrality.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 03:06 pm
This guy is arrogant, clueless, corrupt and a pale shadow of his father.

I don't see it happening but I would be delighted if he was the Democrat standard bearer in 2020.

Every day will be Andy Steps on His D*ck Day (And his pet duck Luigi has nothing to fear)

https://hotair.com/archives/2017/12/14/watch-ny-governor-mansplains-sexual-harassment-female-reporter/?utm_source=hadaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 03:08 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
See, there's no real content here. It's just a set up to call Gillibrand a whore and insult people who are accused of being "liberals". Very few of the resident rightists here actually defend Trump. They spend way more time criticizing the media, raking over the dying embers of Team Clinton, and insulting other people who post on this thread. I haven't seen a substantive defense of the tax bill, for instance. Or a rationale for hollowing out the State Department. Or a good reason for ending net neutrality.
Yes. And I think we can say that all of this bears a fairly direct relationship to how the modern GOP are far more in their element when out of power and protesting policy than when they are in power and have to craft it. The chances they'll get an infrastructure bill done looks pretty close to zero. And that would be a very bad bill indeed.
blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 03:13 pm
You've probably all read about Danny Ray Johnson, state GOP rep from Kentucky who, after a molestation charge involving a 17 year old female, has now committed suicide. This guy was something else. Josh Marshall has the amazing story here
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 03:27 pm
source

Quote:
On their own, these texts might not be a big deal, even if the two are career government employees. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

But Strzok and Page weren't just a couple of bureaucrats crunching numbers in a windowless office at the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Strzok was a key player in the FBI's investigation into whether Clinton had broken the law by using a private, unsecured email server to handle highly classified documents. He interviewed several of the people involved, including Clinton herself.

He was also the person who watered down the language in the statement used by Comey to exonerate Clinton, changing it from "gross negligence" to "extremely careless," which as we noted in this space was critical to Comey's claim that Clinton didn't break any laws.

Remember, too, that when Strzok was busy airbrushing Clinton's email crimes, he would have known that, had the FBI done the right thing and indicted her for putting national security at risk, it would have crushed her campaign, and helped elect the man Strzok clearly felt should never be president.

In other words, Strzok had motive, means and opportunity to sabotage that investigation.

I'd have to wonder why they remained in their positions after that.
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 03:58 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Yes. And I think we can say that all of this bears a fairly direct relationship to how the modern GOP are far more in their element when out of power and protesting policy than when they are in power and have to craft it. The chances they'll get an infrastructure bill done looks pretty close to zero. And that would be a very bad bill indeed.

I hate to be fair to tRump and the Repubs; but, the Infrastructure bill would be a bipartisan effort that under the schema of governance I see them using, the next year for these purposes would fit. Of course, they have spent the $1 trillion needed for that purposes on tax benefits to the wealthy!
blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 04:09 pm
@BillW,
They'll need 60 Dem votes in the Senate. As you know what a GOP infrastructure bill would certainly look like, what do you imagine the chances are they'll get the necessary votes? Calculate in the 2018 elections.
BillW

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 05:35 pm
@blatham,
Infrastructure is pork barrel legislation, it is bipartisan by nature. Normally, sixty votes is what it takes to be debated, and yes, I do believe that is easy. However, as I said before, they were (both sides) looking at $1 trillion over ten years. As I said before, actual passage is another matter with the rich people grab bag concluded. By letting it get debated, each Senator/Representative can show their district what they were trying to get for them; except for them dem aholes from NY and CA wanted to much. So it got voted down.... It also gives them something to do to explain why they do nothing.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 07:27 pm
from GOP strategist Nick Everhart:
Quote:
“Part of the problem is we’ve trained our base to only respond to very specific messaging. We’ve fine-tuned what these people need to hear.”
Atlantic

Well, yes, that is so. And the verb "trained" is precisely the right verb here.
BillW

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 07:56 pm
@blatham,
Here's a test, in a group of associate, scream one of the "specific" terms and see who automatonly screams it back..... You Canucks are exempt, but it still may work, some northern NYers are known to be t-Rumpers, and, then there's Maine
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 09:38 pm
Quote:

Trump has never convened a Cabinet-level meeting on Russian interference or what to do about it, administration officials said.
His position has alienated close American allies and often undercut members of his Cabinet — all against the backdrop of a criminal probe into possible ties between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.
U.S. officials said that a stream of intelligence from sources inside the Russian government indicates that Putin and his lieutenants regard the 2016 “active measures” campaign — as the Russians describe such covert propaganda operations — as a resounding, if incomplete, success.
U.S. officials declined to discuss whether the stream of recent intelligence on Russia has been shared with Trump. Current and former officials said that his daily intelligence update — known as the president’s daily brief, or PDB — is often structured to avoid upsetting him.

Russia-related intelligence that might draw Trump’s ire is in some cases included only in the written assessment and not raised orally, said a former senior intelligence official familiar with the matter. In other cases, Trump’s main briefer — a veteran CIA analyst — adjusts the order of his presentation and text, aiming to soften the impact.

“If you talk about Russia, meddling, interference — that takes the PDB off the rails,” said a second former senior U.S. intelligence official.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/world/national-security/donald-trump-pursues-vladimir-putin-russian-election-hacking/?utm_term=.c34e49542d33

I have come to the conclusion tRump avoids Russia because of the most nefarious of reasons, he is one of Putin's agents! To him, maybe he can still get away with it; certainly, all his cretin believers have bought in...........
wmwcjr

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 11:23 pm
@BillW,
oralloy wrote:
I'm more of a moderate.

Surprised Mrs. wmwcjr, where are you, my dear? You'd better call the doctor. I think I'm going to faint!
0 Replies