monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 06:05 pm
http://beta.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-pol-essential-washington-updates-embattled-trump-judge-nominee-withdraws-1513192192-htmlstory.html

Quote:
Brett J. Talley, President Trump’s choice to be a federal judge in Alabama, has withdrawn from consideration, a White House official said Wednesday.

He is the first failed judicial nominee for the new administration, but he is likely to be joined shortly by Jeff Mateer, a Texas assistant attorney general who was nominated to be a district judge in his state.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) has moved quickly to approve Trump’s proposed judges, but he said Monday that he would not hold a hearing for Mateer and would oppose confirming Talley in the full Senate.

Talley is a 36-year old lawyer and blogger who had close ties to the White House. His wife, Ann Donaldson, works for White House counsel Don McGahn. But Talley has little legal experience, has never tried a case and was rated “not qualified” by the American Bar Assn.’s screening committee.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 06:10 pm
I wonder if Pascoe has any advice for Mueller.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article189625119.html

Quote:
State Rep. Rick Quinn, R-Lexington, agreed to plead guilty to one count of misconduct in office Wednesday.

Quinn’s guilty plea is part of a deal in which charges against his father, powerful political consultant Richard Quinn, were dropped. The elder Quinn also agreed to cooperate with the ongoing investigation.

However, one of the elder Quinn’s companies will pay a $300,000 fine for failing to register as a lobbyist.

Rick Quinn agreed to the guilty plea knowing the state would seek a sentence involving jail time, special prosecutor David Pascoe said.

<snippy>

Quote:
Pascoe’s investigation into public corruption at the State House is more than three years old. It has been marked by repeated attempts to limit or stop the investigation or kick Pascoe off the case.

Since getting former House Speaker Bobby Harrell, R-Charleston, to plead guilty to misusing campaign money in October 2014, Pascoe has indicted five others.

One, former state Rep. Jim Merrill, R-Berkeley, has pleaded guilty to misconduct charges and is cooperating with Pascoe.

"Jim Merrill never stood up in front of the press and claimed he was a victim of witch hunt," Pascoe told Judge Mullen.

Instead, Merrill cooperated "because he wanted to do the right thing for a change, Pascoe said." "He (Merrill) told us some things that will continue on with this investigation"
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 06:54 pm
I think this is extremely smart
Doug Jones’s Victory Shows the Way Forward for Democrats in the South
By Ed Kilgore
blatham

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 07:00 pm
Pardon if this has been posted.
Quote:
There's A Democrat Running For Every Texas Congressional Seat Next Year
KUT radio
BillW

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 07:06 pm
@blatham,
I'm just still reading by the silver of light that has sprung in the darkness!
blatham

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 07:10 pm
The Weekly Standard's big piece up top today running under a picture of Bannon
Quote:
'He Looks Like Some Disheveled Drunk That Wandered Onto the Political Stage'
http://www.weeklystandard.com/
ehBeth

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 07:11 pm
@blatham,
That could work for other southern States with similar demographics. Mississippi would be a prime target for that strategy. I wonder what Mr. Kilgore suggests for states like West Virginia and Kentucky which are so much whiter.

handy state by state breakdowns

https://suburbanstats.org/population/how-many-people-live-in-mississippi

blatham

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 07:13 pm
@BillW,
Yes, I know what you mean. There's more reason for optimism than there was just 24 hours ago.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 07:23 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not sure but that is a consideration in all of this. You could try finding a mail address for him. I had a brief conversation with him years ago when he was at the Democratic Strategist. Cool fellow.
ehBeth

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 07:36 pm
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/how-trumps-pussy-comments-might-lose-congress-in-the-end.html

well

there's a thought

<snipped the opening out>

Quote:
The simmering rage at the election of an unqualified misogynist over the highly qualified prospective first female president produced a deep backlash in politics and culture. The willingness of Harvey Weinstein’s victims to speak out against him can be traced to that frustration.

The horrific revelations of Weinstein’s systemic abuse unleashed a torrent of allegations against powerful men. At first, the reporting was concentrated in fields with liberal cultures and where female reporters had the best access: entertainment and the media itself. But it is quickly spreading elsewhere, particularly to an institution with high levels of public accountability and male ego: Congress. Reports indicate forthcoming exposés of sexual harassment by some two dozen more members of Congress.

Assume for the sake of argument that men of both parties are equally likely to engage in sexual harassment. That would mean most of the harassers will be Republican. Republicans hold 241 of 435 House seats. And they are disproportionately male; there are 219 male Republicans in the House, and 132 male Democrats. The Senate has 47 Republican men and 32 Democratic men. Republicans are therefore likely to constitute a majority of the reported harassers.

What’s more, the impact of the reports will not be felt equally. It will hurt the majority party much more. The reason is that 2018 is shaping up as a wave election. In wave elections, the out-party usually loses very few seats. It is the in-party that loses. If Democrats are forced to step aside, they can easily be replaced. Republicans who have to step aside cannot. Incumbents pressured into retirement will open up seats that might otherwise not have had competitive races.

The impact of a wave election helps Democrats on both offense and defense, then. If your party is benefiting from a wave, you want to open the field as widely as possible. Losing some of your own members is fine — it’s the best possible year to cycle out your incumbents and put new blood in place. And it’s also the most opportune time to contest seats that might normally be out of reach.

So far, the two parties have responded to allegations of harassment differently. Democrats have turned against their own members facing allegations and forced them to resign, while Republicans — following Trump’s precedent — have largely abstained. But that is not an advantage for Republicans. It is a disadvantage. It forces them to field scandal-tarred candidates, not to mention a scandal-tarred party. You need look no farther than Roy Moore to observe the costs of the tough-it-out approach.

Facing down evidence of harassment with implausible denials may have worked for Trump. But the bill may still come due. It would be fitting punishment if he lost control of one or both chambers of Congress — and became exposed to investigations and oversight — as a result of a cultural reckoning Trump set off himself.

not sure it will work as it wasn't what a giant piece of what bumped Moore

but it's a thought
thack45

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 07:43 pm
@blatham,
I was thinking he looks more like a filthy rat that was handed some clothing from a homeless shelter

http://cdn.weeklystandard.biz/cache/280x280-n_234bd8ee7499180096d30749070c35ab.jpg
Nice try, cheese eater
ehBeth

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 07:45 pm
@blatham,
I tweeted my question to him. He doesn't have this piece up yet, so I've got at least 2% odds of him noticing Smile
BillW

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Has Moore conceded yet?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
it’s the best possible year to cycle out your incumbents and put new blood in place.
There's a thought I had not entertained before. I like the idea.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:10 pm
@thack45,
He does not look healthy.
Real Music

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:10 pm
@ehBeth,

Thanks for posting this link. This link is very helpful and very useful.
This link allows me to get the demographic break down of any of the 50 states.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:11 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm rooting for you.
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:11 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

He does not look healthy.

Never has, looks like a skid row bum.....
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:14 pm
For those who might be interested, a podcast with Gabe Sherman (probably the best reporter covering Fox) and Tommy Victor at Crooked. I'm about to listen to it now.
WHAT HAS FOX NEWS DONE TO AMERICA?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:19 pm
Quote:

@EdanClay

Let me get this straight, by Republican logic, investigators who have negative feelings about bank robbers should not be able to investigate bank robbers?

0 Replies