monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Real Music

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:26 pm
@thack45,
I'm not sure which animal best describes Steve Bannon.
A weasel, a conniving snake in the grass, or a cheese eating filthy rat.
BillW

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:33 pm
@Real Music,
How about a dung beetle?
Real Music

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:35 pm
@BillW,
That's a good one. A cockroach is also a good description of Steve Bannon.
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 09:53 pm
Quote:
Roy Moore’s Senate campaign on Wednesday night released a nearly five-minute video of the candidate giving a campaign-style address to supporters in which he again refuses to concede to Doug Jones. “In this race, we have not received the final count​ to include ​military and provisional ballots,” Moore says in the video. “This has been a very close race and we are awaiting certification by the secretary of state.” Alabama state law requires a recount if the final results are within 0.5 percent, but Jones defeated Moore by 1.5 percentage points.

So, with insurmountable odds against him, he still won't be a man and concede this evening. Goes on to say God has failed us. What a little, little man he is. Then again, we already knew that.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 13 Dec, 2017 11:36 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

How about a dung beetle?

Im thinking of a filthy, bloated, unshaven tick that reeks of cheap gin.

and picks his nose in crowded restaurants
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 01:23 am
@blatham,
Except that she is a whore when it comes to her political ambitions. That's not a term I like to throw around with abandon but if you remove it from its sexual context (near impossible which is why I don't use it very often when referring to women) it fits the junior Senator from NY. Define it as someone who is willing to trade their virtue for gain and it describes Gillibrand rather well. She's never taken a position that she isn't ready to toss aside at the drop of a hat if it advances her ambitions. Ask Al Franken if he thinks she's someone who is willing to exchange their virtue for gain.

Besides, Trump didn't all but call her a whore in the classic sense of the word. The editorial board of USA Today is throwing a convenient hissy fit. People on both sides of the aisle are forever condemning their opponents as politicians who will do anything to get elected (or amass a campaign war chest which is pretty close to the exact same thing). How many times have presidents been accused of wagging the dog when they approved military actions close to an election? Personally, I would think a lot more favorably of someone who sells his or her sexual favors to win an election than the sort of political whore who would sell the lives of young American men and women to achieve the same gain.

It's nice to see that chivalry isn't dead among the editors of US Today and certain members of this forum, but give me a break. There's a lot worse dirty boxing going on in the American political octagon than making a comment like Trumps, even if it was intended to conjure up images of a hooker. If Gillibrand can't take it (and I'm quite sure she can) then it doesn't matter what she does in press rooms, bedrooms or on the floor of the Senate, she'll never grab that brass ring that clearly has her highly motivated to do whatever it takes.

Oops did I just all but call her a whore? If you say that about a man it means he's ruthless, but say it about a woman and you must mean she's a slut for hire? This **** is really getting ridiculously out of hand. Switch the political affiliations of the players around a bit and you might fully expect to read or hear liberals slamming someone who came to the rescue of a Republican female for their antiquated, sexist view of the special vulnerability of women vying for power in a man's world.

Its slathered on both sides to such an extent that it's becoming more and more pointless to engage in political debates about anything. There's rarely a real point of view being advanced, simply a political agenda that is little more than "gain power through any means possible and than wield it for as long as you can until the hypocritical thought and language police finally put you in a corner from which you can't extricate yourself.

But wait, I forgot that Democrats don't engage in this sort of nonsense. If they were to imply someone was a whore, a thief, a pervert or a traitor it would because either their targeted opponent really was some variety of miscreant of damned close enough to excuse it.
glitterbag

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 01:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
How nice, you really don’t like to refer to women in a professional situation as whores.....but you managed to overcome your sense of decency and agree with that vulgarian in the White House and throw your 2 cents in and agree Senator Gillibrand is a whore.

What a champ. Your daughters are learning a lot from daddy, all the wrong things. You are setting the tone for how they will see themselves as grown women........nice job, you sorry knob.
Builder

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 02:23 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
You are setting the tone for how they will see themselves as grown women........nice job, you sorry knob.

And you're doing what here? You crack me up, kiddo. chuckles.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 04:14 am
@glitterbag,
Dung beetles are his supporters, faecalphiliacs whose only aim in life is to get their tongues as far up the rich man's arse as possible. Which is also why they're so adverse to human food like cheese.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 05:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You follow a common pattern in Trump's behavior and in the behavior of much right wing media. You justify/excuse Trump's behavior through casting aspersions on the targets of Trump's behavior.

No President in our lifetimes and longer has ever attacked females in the manner of Trump. No one comes close. Very few politicians of any sort have behaved this way. He openly describes them as ugly, sexually unappealing, too old to be attractive. He uses sexual metaphors regularly and he uses them in a sexist framing always.

His personal degradation is degrading the office he holds to an extent none of us thought possible. He is degrading his party. He is degrading your nation's reputation and standing around the world. He is degrading you.

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 05:35 am
Thoughts from a very crazy person
Quote:
A day after losing the Senate race in Alabama to Democrat Doug Jones, Roy Moore has issued a new statement refusing to concede the election until completion of the final count. But it wasn’t your typical post-election statement.

It was a four-minute fire-and-brimstone video about abortion, same-sex marriage, school prayer, sodomy and “the right of a man to claim to be a woman and vice versa.”

“We are indeed in a struggle to preserve our republic, our civilization and our religion and to set free a suffering humanity,” Moore said. “Today, we no longer recognize the universal truth that God is the author of our life and liberty. Abortion, sodomy and materialism have taken the place of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
WP
blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 05:47 am
Quote:
“Democrats have a chance to occupy the center of the electorate in no small part because Republicans have vacated the center in such a dramatic way,” said Geoff Garin, a Democratic pollster who helped Democrat Ralph Northam win the Virginia governorship in November.

The fuel for the emerging Democratic confidence is the rejection of Trump, his disruptive nature and the Republican policy proposals that have been coming out of Congress, political analysts say.
WP

This sounds right to me.
farmerman

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 05:57 am
@blatham,
3 months ago, the "anti Trumpness" stance of the core of the Dems was being criticized for being no basis with which to stage a comeback .
AFter Moore's defeat , and an honest re appraisal of what Moore actually represented (The GOP was trying to ride the "perv status isnt fatal to a political career " wagon till the wheels finally came off). I recently heard a FOX scream panel briefly mention that"maybe Trump isnt our ideal".

blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 06:00 am
Putin gives helpful advice to Americans
Quote:
MOSCOW — Russian President Vladi­mir Putin on Thursday said that he didn’t think President Trump would be able to improve relations between their two countries because he was being held back by his political opposition.

Saying that Trump undoubtedly has had some successes as president, including a booming U.S. stock market, Putin said that reports about Russia’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential elections were being invented to create questions about his legitimacy.

“There are things that he would want to do but hasn’t been able to so far, like reforming health care or other goals, for instance he spoke about improving relations with Russia,” Putin said in remarks carried on national television. “It’s clear that even if he wanted to, he’s not in a condition to do that because of some clear restrictions” created by his opponents.
WP

Who among us ever expected to see so many Republicans find solace in a Russian authoritarian's propaganda?
farmerman

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 06:01 am
@blatham,
Quote:
It was a four-minute fire-and-brimstone video about abortion, same-sex marriage, school prayer, sodomy and “the right of a man to claim to be a woman and vice versa.”
Did he mention the evils of planting two consecutive crops of alfalfa??
Walter Hinteler

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 06:09 am
@blatham,
"Some sort of spy-mania" Putin said. And all is "invented by people who are in opposition to Trump in order to make his work look illegitimate."
blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 06:09 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I recently heard a FOX scream panel briefly mention that"maybe Trump isnt our ideal".
They are very brave, intellectually.

But that raises the questions regarding how Fox/Murdoch might set their sails as Trumpism falls increasingly into disrepute and GOP electoral chances drop, perhaps precipitously. I don't know how this plays out but it will be interesting to watch. I hold the opinion that periods of stress tend to make more transparent that which was previously harder to discern, ie how power is actually distributed.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 06:12 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Did he mention the evils of planting two consecutive crops of alfalfa??
I'm not sure. But it seems highly likely he used the verb "gleaning" at some point.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 14 Dec, 2017 06:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes. Classic, isn't it.