monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 12:33 pm
@maporsche,
You're getting sucked into the never-ending-swirling bowl.
maporsche

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 12:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Sorry; thanks for the rope.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 12:38 pm
@maporsche,
What Ellen and Joy Behar did, and all sexual behaviors, are part of this conversation. Men and women are walking around on this earth seeing all kinds of sexual behavior. The same exact behavior is ok for some people and illegal for others.

How can anyone decipher an unspoken code?

It all goes into the conversation.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 12:47 pm
Judge denies Pentagon bid to delay Jan. 1 deadline to accept transgender recruits
Quote:
A federal judge on Monday denied the Trump administration’s request to delay an order requiring the military to begin accepting transgender recruits starting Jan. 1 saying the argument for more time seemed based on “vague claims.”

“The Court is not persuaded that Defendants will be irreparably injured by” meeting the New Year’s Day deadline, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly wrote.

The ruling from Kollar-Kotelly of the District of Columbia follows her earlier opinion blocking the president’s ban on military recruitment of transgender men and women that possibly would have forced the dismissal of current service members starting in March.

“With only a brief hiatus, Defendants have had the opportunity to prepare for the accession of transgender individuals into the military for nearly one and a half years,” when the policy was initially issued in June 2016, she wrote. “Especially in light of the record evidence showing, with specifics, that considerable work has already been done, the Court is not convinced by the vague claims in [the government’s] declaration that a stay is needed.

A second federal judge in Baltimore also issued a preliminary injunction in November that goes further in preventing the administration from denying funding for sex-reassignment surgeries after the order takes effect.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 12:55 pm
@thack45,
Just came across this piece on what may have happened to send Trump and McConnell and others over to support of Moore. TPM
blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:02 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Wow. A political train wreck. In slow motion. As the rising sea inundates our coastline. As California burns. As the former "working class" searches for its next opiate fix. Can the doomsday asteroid be far behind?
I think Bruce Willis is a Republican, isn't he? So we'll be safe on that last worry.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:04 pm
@revelette1,
Yup. Good piece.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:04 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Just came across this piece on what may have happened to send Trump and McConnell and others over to support of Moore. TPM

Steve Bannon, he ROCKS, eh!?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:10 pm
@ehBeth,
God that is truly awful.
Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
@Lash,
Quote:
I don’t know what Moore did.

Lash backstopping for Roy Moore? But I understand this is Bernie Sanders' position as well, so it makes sense.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
blatham wrote:
I will point out one humorous aspect to all this. There is one poster on the site who has tried on a number of occasions to duplicate certain stylistic or rhetorical devices I use. And that's Finn.

Really?
How far back do we have to go to find a Finn post headed by "This is a must read"? There was another specific duplication from you but I confess I can't recall it now. But it would be fair to fault me for lack of precision in how I phrased that statement re "style".
OK, I see you've addressed these. As regards your description as "pedantic", I'm not bothered. Many of the analysts I read (and who read a lot themselves) use this marker to point to things they have found particularly explanatory or important to keep in mind.

Quote:
the former waggish nature of our exchanges has soured.
Very definitely true (and with george as well). And it is not that your behavior here has changed. In fact, it is precisely because your behavior has NOT changed even while your party dives happily into the toilet becoming something so degraded and dangerous that Washington, Lincoln, and even Reagan could not have imagined.

Re "No ****, Sherlock" - proprietary? Of course not. The first time I heard this was from a junior high school wag, Martin Edgington. I loved it when I heard it and do to this day.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:39 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
God that is truly awful.

But it's their culture...they're great people...hang out with them, go to a church supper...

What are you, an elitist?
blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:43 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Re: Lash (Post 6554579)
I really don’t understand how you choose when to engage restraint when hearing unproven accusations and when you choose to believe every one of them to obsessive degrees.
I suppose some, unfamiliar with Lash's long term oeuvre here, might find that contrast curious.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:56 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
What are you, an elitist?
I am. Also a very good dancer.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 02:31 pm
If you care to take a trip down to the land of Roy Moore, here's your free ticket
Quote:
...So one crucial reason why Moore’s most adamant supporters don’t see a scandalized politician is that they see a folk hero. “He’s our Johnny Appleseed, our Davy Crockett,” says Thomas Sparrow, who works on the Moore campaign as a volunteer.

...Ann Bennett, a third-generation Alabama Republican living in Opelika, has a very different view. She says Moore’s actions were like the biblical figures Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who refused to bow down to, and worship, a golden statue of a king, and were thrown into a furnace for their disobedience. “Roy Moore has to be one of the highest integrity people who have ever entered politics,” Bennett says. “Who else gives up the most powerful positions in the state of Alabama, and the money that came with it?” At one point, Bennett joked Moore may be “far too ethical” for the Senate.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 02:35 pm
Quote:
Suspect ID'd in 'attempted terrorist attack'

A Bangladeshi man reportedly inspired by ISIS set off a pipe bomb inside New York's Port Authority bus terminal during rush hour Monday morning, sowing mass chaos but causing few injuries -- likely because the "attempted terrorist" detonated his "low-tech device" prematurely.

Akayed Ullah, 27, set off the "effectively low-tech device" in a subway passageway just before 7:30 a.m., New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a news conference. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the explosion "was an attempted terrorist attack."

Ullah strapped the crude pipe bomb to his body with Velcro and zip ties. The suspect allegedly packed the 5-inch metal pipe bomb and battery pack into the right side of his jacket, but the device exploded earlier than intended, law enforcement sources told The New York Post. Cuomo told NY1 officials “have reason to believe that [Ullah] went to the internet and found out how to make a homemade bomb.”

Department of Homeland Security Press Secretary Tyler Houlton said in a statement Ullah entered the U.S. in 2011 from Bangladesh on a chain migration visa. He had used a "passport displaying an F43 family immigrant visa in 2011.

We need more chain immigration, eh?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 02:53 pm
In thinking about the possibility that Trump will fire Mueller, many people bring up the Nixon "saturday night massacre" event. One profoundly different aspect of the modern case is a huge right wing media universe. Nothing remotely like it was in place in 1973. For example, Limbaugh didn't even begin broadcasting until 1988.

Further, though there were right wing millionaires with a "libertarian" bent around and funding various right wing causes and entities, their influence was pretty much limited geographically and and to setting up right wing institutions which became important to overall US politics much later.

So the Nixon precedent may not apply at all. We've seen how far the right wing media will go to back up Trump and modern conservatives. We've seen how influential the Koch operations have become in primaries, in supporting right wing policy implementation at state and federal levels, and in election funding. There's no question in my mind that the modern right, believing they can get away with it, will take things to the edge, and likely, over the edge of a constitutional crisis that American hasn't seen since...? the civil war?
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 03:15 pm
https://hotair.com/archives/2017/12/10/koch-brothers-teaming-silicon-valley/?utm_source=hadaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

The Koch Brothers are teaming up with Silicon Valley! Shocked

What are these dastardly "...people who are dedicating their lives to undermining American democratic values, like openness and inclusion
" up to now?

Have the enlightened dweebs in the Tech Industry gone over to the dark side?

Are cats mating with dogs?

What's going on here!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 03:16 pm
https://hotair.com/archives/2017/12/10/alabama-sen-richard-shelby-wrote-republican-instead-voting-roy-moore/?utm_source=hadaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

A reasonable solution to his dilemma.
0 Replies