monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:20 am
@layman,
There has been a bit of trial by twitter, but aren’t most of these people stepping down?

Similarly, msnbc fired Sam Seder for remarks previously made about rape. There was an outcry on his behalf and he was reinstated. I approve of all that. Your employer has rights. The public has rights. I think that worked out well.
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:20 am
I remember starting to leave a motel in Tucumcari, N.M. once and coming across an attractive maid on my way out.

I said: "Hey, Darlin, what-say, you and me, we step into this here janitor's closet and ****, eh?"

She said: "Well, OK, then!"

Some nosy-ass bellhop opened the door on us, and, next thing I know, I was being arrested for "lewd conduct." They didn't arrest her, of course. She was the "victim" and the star witness for the prosecution.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The outcomes are definitely approved by me.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:32 am
@Lash,
Yeah, the whole notion of someone losing their job on the basis of public demand or a "boycott" is revolting to me. And that includes demands made by Trump, eh? I don't care what they may have said.

An employer who fires a person for that reason only is a slimy-ass coward. That said, they're free to fire them for any reason they choose. But that don't make it "right."
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:34 am
@layman,
If Ellen was Trump in that pic, it would meet with screeching accusations of sexual misconduct and creepiness.

The pic of Joy Behar grabbing Robin Williams’ dick? Why is that ok? Popularity? Did she ask?

LOTS of double standards in this conversation.
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:45 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Thank you, Darlin. My point exactly.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:46 am
@Lash,
Quote:
If Ellen was Trump in that pic,

Scrap Trump. If she was any biological MAN, it would be met with screeching accusations of sexual misconduct and creepiness.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:01 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Walter and I are both big fans of cheese, ...
I really would like to offer layman an Époisses if the import wasn't prohibited to USA. A Vieux-gris-de-Lille would do, too.
maporsche

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:04 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

If Ellen was Trump in that pic, it would meet with screeching accusations of sexual misconduct and creepiness.

The pic of Joy Behar grabbing Robin Williams’ dick? Why is that ok? Popularity? Did she ask?

You must agree that there's a difference in what Ellen did with her friend Katy Perry in public versus what say Harvey Weinstein did with women in his home and office using his power over their careers as a producer? Or what 35 year old Moore may or may not have done with 14-16 year olds in his car?

layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:09 am
@Lash,
Anyone remember why Howard Cosell, Jimmy the Greek, and the baseball pitcher, John Rocker or something like that, were fired? Maybe Rocker wasn't fired, I'm not sure, but there were plenty who were declaring him unfit to play baseball.

It's reminiscent of school libraries banning Twain's "Huck Finn" for being "racist."

This whole modern movement to tear down the statues of our prominent ancestors, from Columbus to Lee to Washington, Jefferson, etc.. or to otherwise refuse to acknowledge their worth as human beings, is equally disturbing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:09 am
http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/sh/ZPtmPISZPG/roy-moore-teen-girls-courtship/?cid=

vomitous

Quote:
The Unchained At Last project, a nonprofit group dedicated to ending child marriages, estimates 248,000 children — some as young as 10 — were married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2010.

Asked why an adult male would even consider pursuing underage girls, North Carolina Rev. Rusty Thomas, a friend of Moore’s and the national director of the anti-abortion movement Operation Save America, quoted scripture.

“God and his word talks about ‘rejoice in the wife of your youth,’” said Thomas. “And I will tell you, my wife, I’m 12 years older than she is, and she encourages my daughters to look more towards an older man — not ancient of days, but a man who has a record, a standing, who is able to take care of them.”

Thomas’s daughter Cassia began courtship in 2007 when she was 17, and her husband is about seven years her senior. They now have 10 children. Thomas and his wife are “training” their 15-year-old twin daughters “to be godly wives and mothers.”

Indeed, child marriage arranged through Christian courtship is idealized in some fundamentalist quarters of the U.S. South. In conservative homeschooled households, many children grew up reading a series of 19th-century novels by Martha Finley. The books follow the life of Elsie Dinsmore, a devout girl in a fundamentalist Southern Christian environment who ends up marrying her father’s best friend, Mr. Travilla, while she’s a teenager. He’s presumed to be at least 15 years older. (Once married, Elsie continues to address him as “Mr. Travilla.”)

The books have sold 1.2 million copies and have enjoyed a second wave of popularity after the Texas-based Vision Forum Ministries, a now-defunct fundamentalist Christian organization, republished the collection for a more modern readership.

Vision Forum, where Roy Moore once held a faculty seat teaching Bible-steeped legal principles, closed in 2013 after its founder, Doug Phillips, confessed to a “lengthy inappropriate relationship” with a woman.

Until its demise, Vision Forum held major sway in the so-called Christian patriarchy movement and widely promoted the courtship of Matthew and Maranatha Chapman. According to Texas marriage records, the Chapmans wed in 1988, when Matthew was 27 and Maranatha was 15, and their story was used to promote the sanctity of teen-adult courtship rites.

courtship
just vomitous
Cycloptichorn

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:12 am
@maporsche,
These people will say pretty much whatever they have to in order to troll the thread.

Remember, it's not about proving any certain point right - it's just about annoying you and making you regret engaging in conversation.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

These people will say pretty much whatever they have to in order to troll the thread.

Remember, it's not about proving any certain point right - it's just about annoying you and making you regret engaging in conversation.

I regretted my post immediately after posting it.

Any double standard that may exist in celebrity gossip pages is DWARFED by the realization that women in business and in private have been sexually harrassed/abused for hundreds of years, often with consent and approval of superiors and even the church.

If someone's going to get offended because someone is admiring Katy Perry's boobs and use that to deflect criticism of the #metoo movement and calling out the most disgusting hidden behavior in society, I don't need to join in on that.
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:18 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
In the United States, as late as the 1880s most States set the minimum age [of consent] at 10–12, (in Delaware, it was 7 in 1895)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent

They done Jerry Lee Lewis wrong, I tellya.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:20 am
@maporsche,
I don’t know what Moore did. So far, as I’ve read, his great sin is asking girls who may have been 14 to 16 years old on dates. I’m open to possibly believing further accusations... But I’m not desperately hoping they’re forthcoming or true.

Many people here are.

And that leads to strong bias.

Cycloptichorn

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:22 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I don’t know what Moore did.

If you haven't even done basic research into it, why are you even discussing the topic?

Quote:
So far, as I’ve read, his great sin is asking girls who may have been 14 to 16 years old on dates.

Try telling a 14 year old's mom that he'd take care of her while the mom is in court, then driving the girl back to his house, getting her drunk, and sexually assaulting her

This was the original allegation against him, how can you be discussing this and not know that? Sheesh

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:23 am
@maporsche,
If you’re going to have a legitimate place in this conversation, you must look at the entire scope of sexual behavior.

You can’t go through life calling everyone with a different perspective a troll.

It’s silly and dishonest.
Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:26 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I have read accusations. I hadn’t previously seen the details in your post.

But I do know that you don’t know what he did anymore than I do.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I will point out one humorous aspect to all this. There is one poster on the site who has tried on a number of occasions to duplicate certain stylistic or rhetorical devices I use. And that's Finn.

Really?

This is really quite rich. You try to cop a pose of humility with george (albeit making certain to point how you compose your posts in a compelling manner) and then conclude it with an assertion that I have tried, more than once, to copy your style and duplicate your (presumably) clever rhetorical devices.

My style is, for better or worse, the one I have expressed here and in Abuzz for a good many years now. I'm sure it borrows from some of the major influences in my life, but you, my friend, are not one of them. If, of late, I have duplicated anything of your style or any of your devices, it was to mock them.

For most of our online association, teasing (sometimes with a sharp edge) has been, at least for me, a welcome and amusing feature of the Finn/blatham repartee. Reciprocal tweaks. Such banter is fun and I know I have complimented you, on more than one occasion, on your skill with it. However, over the last year or so (undoubtedly the same period of time that george noted, and certainly coincidental with your assumption of the role of leader of the A2K Resistance), I've found that, more and more, you invite mockery rather than teasing, and that the former waggish nature of our exchanges has soured. A chicken/egg question but irrelevant. I'm certainly not some innocent victim of the spoliation of your sense of humor, and it may very well be the case that if we did a forensic analysis of all of our exchanges on A2K, we would find that I was the first to replace teasing with jeering, but it would be simply a matter of timing and not a causative action. This point in time was going to be reached, regardless.

It would be interesting though to learn just what devices and stylistic flourishes you believe to be uniquely yours and which I have tried to copy.

Off the top of my head I can think of only a couple, but I'm open to the possibility that there are more. You provide a target rich environment for mockery:

Your use of "Must read" to flag something you think is of particular brilliance or importance. I admit I find it pretentious and pedantic and worthy of mockery.

Your "No **** Sherlock" awards: Here though no derision at all is intended. Your repeated use of this device sets it up for appropriation when a strikingly obvious comment is made by someone in your tribe, and, after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I hope, though, that you don't claim your use of the phrase, even in the context of an award, is somehow proprietary. The cleverness is in the selection of the recipient, not in a device that has been employed by many others in many other venues, however, if you feel you are entitled to attribution when I, in turn, employ it, mea culpa. I hereby acknowledge that blatham is the originator of the "No **** Sherlock Award" occasionally appearing in this thread. If it will make you feel better I'll even admit that my usage is but a pale imitations of yours.

Still, there has to be more you think I've tried to duplicate, and so I anxiously await your response.
maporsche

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 11:30 am
@Lash,
In nursing/medicine there’s a concept called “triage”. It’s the understanding that resources and time are limited and the worst cases need to be treated before you focus on the minor scrapes and bruises.

I’m going to do that here.

And don’t make the mistake of believing that the moral outrage and public attention to this issue is a limited resource.

If we can keep up the outrage after Sandy Hook then there’s no chance that this movement has much lasting power. At least not in the public eye.