monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 08:25 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Lash wrote:

No one should be blindly believed.

Imagine yourself the object of false accusations. What would be fair for you in that circumstance is right for all accused.

Exactly. And conversely, no one should be blindly disbelieved.

If you want to decide who to believe, then gather some facts and rely on them, not your personal prejudices.

Absolutely.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:02 am
This just in! Moore has been accused of soliciting prostitution from a minor.

Remember the young waitress who left her high school yearbook on the counter next to the cash register and asked patrons to make an entry in it for her?

Now it comes out that Moore left her a tip, see?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:05 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Imagine yourself the object of false accusations. What would be fair for you in that circumstance is right for all accused.
If someone would do so - accuse someone falsely - here, she/he would "be liable to imprisonment of not more than five years or a fine" (Criminal Code, Section 164, False accusation)
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
If someone would do so - accuse someone falsely - here, she/he would "be liable to imprisonment of not more than five years or a fine" (Criminal Code, Section 164, False accusation)

That's right, Walt (in at least one state, I gather). And....?
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:22 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

That's right, Walt (in at least one state, I gather). And....?

Guess what else? If mothers kill their children by locking them in a car trunk on a hot day and just chuckle when they scream to get out, or torture them to death, or commit any of the other reported horrific acts parents inflict on their children virtually every day of the year, they are guilty of a crime.

You seem to be implying that if something is illegal, then no one would ever do it. By that logic, no rape would ever be committed.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:23 am
@layman,
And ... what? (I responded to Lash's post)

But to answer your question: there's s trial a certain time later (if the claim is correct), that person gets convicted, and most certainly there will be civil action for damages as well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:25 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Guess what else? If mothers kill their children by locking them in a car trunk on a hot day and just chuckle when they scream to get out, or torture them to death, or commit any of the other reported horrific acts parents inflict on their children virtually every day of the year, they are guilty of a crime.
How is that related to a false accusation?
revelette1

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:26 am
@Lash,
Quote:
No one should be blindly believed.

Given the accusations and lightness of the denials, I would rather give the benefit of the doubt to the accusers. But perhaps like you, I am singing a different tune now that the accusations fall on the other tribe.
Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That seems appropriate.

How would you ascertain whether or not the accuser is honest or lying?
Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:29 am
@revelette1,
My tune hasn’t changed.

I believed accusations against Franken because he admitted them.

Then, HIS tune changed.

0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:31 am
What about Clinton’s accusers? How do we hear and believe them?

One rule should fit all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:36 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
How would you ascertain whether or not the accuser is honest or lying?
That's done by the judge(s) if the prosecution takes it to the court.
In some cases, the prosecutor's office might terminate the proceedings against payment of a fine.

Last year, a German model fined for false rape claims. Before, at a subsequent trial, the two men she had accused, were cleared of rape.
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

layman wrote:
How is that related to a false accusation?

After making that post, I realized you would never get the point, so I edited it to make it simple for you. I added this: "You seem to be implying that if something is illegal, then no one would ever do it. By that logic, no rape would ever be committed." Check it out.
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:41 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I would rather give the benefit of the doubt to the accusers.

No surprise there. Of course that is contrary to our entire criminal jurisprudence and cultural history, which says you must be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

But when has any cheese-eater ever let legal standards stop him from asserting unproven allegations as undisputed fact when doing so promotes the narrative he wants to advance?
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:53 am
As I have said before, I do not subscribe to the belief that any person (male or female) who has ever propositioned a member of the opposite sex should be disqualified from holding a job.

Just one of many issues which I disagree with cheese-eaters about, I guess.
layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 09:58 am
@layman,
I didn't refer to the "opposite sex" by accident. We all know it's fine for homosexuals, eh?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/11/article-0-177DDC45000005DC-893_632x466.jpg

But I did go too far when I said "male or female." We all know that only males should be excluded from the workforce if they pursue any sexual interests with women, not vice versa.

Any guy who asks a woman out and gets rejected is guilty of "unwanted SEXUAL advances" and should be immediately punished. Well, come to think of it, I guess that's true even if the date offer is accepted (witness Roy Moore).
Olivier5

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:04 am
@layman,
Quote:
when has any cheese-eater ever let legal standards stop him from asserting unproven allegations as undisputed fact when doing so promotes the narrative he wants to advance?

Walt and I are both big fans of cheese, and we have both posted our preference for a legal process, in which people are considered innocent until proven guilty.

Just to make matters clear, I don't think that people should lose their job just because somebody accused them on twitter.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:07 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
I added this: "You seem to be implying that if something is illegal, then no one would ever do it. By that logic, no rape would ever be committed."
I didn't imply anything like that.
But of course you can judge our criminal code to be good enough for your demands.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:10 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Just to make matters clear, I don't think that people should lose their job just because somebody accused them on twitter.

Well, that's one thing we agree on, at least, eh, Ollie?