monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:21 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'd rather lose that region than lie to people about the seriousness of their situation and what needs to be done to correct it.

you definitely got your wish last time round

0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:22 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Yes. They believed a politician who told them lies. So did many millions of progressives/Democrats in 2016...you've stated this yourself many many many times. Why the special scorn on this small (population wise) group of people all of the sudden as if the lies they believed are somehow unique to them?

But sure man, you've got firmly held opinions. You just sometimes don't seem to understand that life isn't always as simple as you want it to be. Or that people may not have the same drive as you. Or the same abilities. Or the same many things.

Nope, not going to let you off on this welfare thing. The welfare/disability portion of the national budget is SOOOOO small relative to what the USA spends. Even if 90% of the disability claims are false, it's such a minor problem in our country that 1-2 less military jets (out of thousands) would recoup the costs. Do I wish it were 0% fraud? Of course I do. But the cost to police this fraud is more than the fraud itself costs.

Are you surprised that in areas with lower employment that there are fewer residents and therefore, in part, the residents who are disabled (and less likely to move for new jobs in new cities) end up making a higher percentage of the small population in some of these counties? Or are you surprised that when people are struggling that they look for help in ways that are less than legal? I'm not surprised one bit. I'd wager that almost all crime is committed by people who don't see better opportunities within their grasp.

blatham

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:25 am
Quote:
Fox & Friends host: It looks like the FBI concocted a fake Trump-Russia dossier to have a reason to spy on Trump

Ainsley Earhardt: "I don't know if they concocted this whole thing to say let's come up with this dirty dossier so that we can have a reason to spy on the president. It just looks like that might have happened."
MM

It is not difficult at all to see how the present situation could lead to a political crisis greater than anything in our lifetimes.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:31 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It's not lying to them.

It's telling them you understand how they go where they are. That you understand that what may be needed is difficult and a huge burden and that the Democratic party is the party that is willing/able to help you. I don't konw...speak to them like human beings with emotions and strongly held beliefs and many many things keeping them from moving across the country.

Basically, it's just not being a dick....which you're actually sorta being right now (for some reason).
hightor

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:32 am
Tim Pawlenty will likely run for Franken's seat.
Lash

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:34 am
@maporsche,
Surprisingly hopeful human conversation.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:35 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Yes. They believed a politician who told them lies. So did many millions of progressives/Democrats in 2016...you've stated this yourself many many many times. Why the special scorn on this small (population wise) group of people all of the sudden as if the lies they believed are somehow unique to them?

Two reasons:

First, because that region is desperate to 'turn back the clock' and return into a time in which their incredibly destructive businesses were profitable. That isn't going to happen and they know it but don't want to admit it because it's easier to believe lies than take personal responsibility and change one's life for the better.

Second, these people are - despite your insistence to the opposite - heavily reliant on welfare and disability fraud to survive and essentially suck at the teat of the rest of us rather than improve their lives. I can't respect that.

Quote:
But sure man, you've got firmly held opinions. You just sometimes don't seem to understand that life isn't always as simple as you want it to be. Or that people may not have the same drive as you. Or the same abilities. Or the same many things.

I understand that perfectly well, thanks. Life is quite complicated and often there are no good answers. It's simply immaterial to the conversation we're having.

Quote:
Nope, not going to let you off on this welfare thing. The welfare/disability portion of the national budget is SOOOOO small relative to what the USA spends. Even if 90% of the disability claims are false, it's such a minor problem in our country that 1-2 less military jets (out of thousands) would recoup the costs. Do I wish it were 0% fraud? Of course I do. But the cost to police this fraud is more than the fraud itself costs.

Disability and SSI fraud run at about $10 billion a year for our country, and specifically directly from the SS program. That's not peanuts but it isn't the end of the world, financially.

But - the overall point isn't that the welfare/disability fraud costs a lot, it's that engaging in it is highly destructive to the lives of the people involved. It creates nothing but perverse incentives for the people of the region: they can't go get a job, even if they could do the job, because doing so would end their disability payments. They get their kids labelled as Disabled, so they can collect benefits on them, and then have to work to keep their perfectly fine kids from excelling in school as they'd lose their income for doing so.

I personally would rather see a WPA-style program where we offer employment to people rather than give them money for nothing. Only the tiniest percentage of those on disability actually can do NOTHING productive. Most simply cannot engage in physical activity. Well, we can FIND work for the rest of them, instead of having them sit around and get paid for nothing.

Quote:
Are you surprised that in areas with lower employment that there are fewer residents and therefore, in part, the residents who are disabled (and less likely to move for new jobs in new cities) end up making a higher percentage of the small population in some of these counties? Or are you surprised that when people are struggling that they look for help in ways that are less than legal? I'm not surprised one bit. I'd wager that almost all crime is committed by people who don't see better opportunities within their grasp.

I'm not surprised by any of it at all. I simply don't excuse it the way you do, or look the other way, or pretend that these people really are trying to improve their lives, they just can't for some reason and god doggit, if we'd just listen to them better, that would change things. Sorry, but that's bullshit. It's not a lack of understanding of the issues or a lack of listening to the people of the region, it's a failure on their part to accept the hard choices that need to be made to move forward.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:37 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

It's not lying to them.

It's telling them you understand how they go where they are. That you understand that what may be needed is difficult and a huge burden and that the Democratic party is the party that is willing/able to help you. I don't konw...speak to them like human beings with emotions and strongly held beliefs and many many things keeping them from moving across the country.

Basically, it's just not being a dick....which you're actually sorta being right now (for some reason).

The Democrats have tried that approach in that region for many, many years. What is your evidence they haven't? Seriously, sheesh.

I personally am not running for office at the moment, you get that right? I am under none of the constraints that a politician would be. I am not trying to convince anyone in the region to vote for the Dems with this conversation. So what you call 'being a dick' is simply me talking plainly about the problem and disagreeing with you as to who is to blame for the problem, which - at the end of the day - is the people of the region themselves. And even if you don't believe the problems in that part of the country are their fault, it IS their responsibility to fix them, and they simply aren't doing so.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:40 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm not surprised by any of it at all. I simply don't excuse it the way you do, or look the other way, or pretend that these people really are trying to improve their lives, they just can't for some reason and god doggit, if we'd just listen to them better, that would change things. Sorry, but that's bullshit. It's not a lack of understanding of the issues or a lack of listening to the people of the region, it's a failure on their part to accept the hard choices that need to be made to move forward.

You think I'm opposed to plans that would improve the situation Cyclops? I voted for the same woman you did, who offered the plans you and I are in favor of. The fact that Appalachia did not and we needed them to is not as simple as condemning them as liars, losers, and idiots.

You won't win their hearts or their votes by showing them contempt. I know you're not running for office and your voice will reach only a handful of people but jesus man, you're doing nothing but frustrating the hell out of your political allies here. What are you trying to accomplish?
maporsche

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Democrats have tried that approach in that region for many, many years. What is your evidence they haven't? Seriously, sheesh.

I never claimed they haven't tried that approach. Where do you think I said that? I would only say that they need to do more of it and do it better.

Quote:
who is to blame for the problem, which - at the end of the day - is the people of the region themselves. And even if you don't believe the problems in that part of the country are their fault, it IS their responsibility to fix them, and they simply aren't doing so.

Nor have I tried to shift the responsibility off the people of Appalachia. Of course we are all responsible for fixing our own situation.

Are you arguing with me or with someone else?
Cycloptichorn

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:50 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
You won't win their hearts or their votes by showing them contempt. I know you're not running for office and your voice will reach only a handful of people but jesus man, you're doing nothing but frustrating the hell out of your political allies here. What are you trying to accomplish?

I am not personally attempting to 'win their hearts.' I don't believe this is possible in all instances or even worth the effort of doing so, nor should it be the mission of the Left or the Dem Party to do so at the expense of decency or a commitment to truth or reality.

You asked me earlier if I was shocked about certain things in that region. Are YOU shocked that your political allies have different opinions than you do? I mean, you sound shocked here that I would dare to have negative opinions of a region that has a very high number of things about it that are legitimately negative - and not problems imposed upon the populace there. Problems that they created themselves and exacerbate through their own current actions, all while loudly blaming Liberals.

You mentioned earlier that you've spent time in the region. I have as well, and my experiences were, shall we say, not as positive as yours were. I was not left with a high opinion of the region or their population. It isn't exactly a hotbed of tolerance and progressive attitude and opinion. Quite the opposite.

Cycloptichorn
layman

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:52 am
The hubris of the typical cheese-eater is so extreme that they actually think their self-proclaimed superiority is manifestly evident to anyone who sees/hears them.

Fraid not.

Nice try, cheese-eater.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Democrats have tried that approach in that region for many, many years.

if that is the case - and they voted Democrat for many, many years - why/what changed? Ms. Clinton's messaging wasn't 'great but the change started earlier.

the question isn't really for you - it's for the national party. the national party needs/needed to listen to the locals on the ground. campaigning as if there's a one-size fits all plan doesn't work. people in the Appalachians know there are problems and are smart enough to know that what works in cities and suburbs isn't going to work for them.

pushing them into a tribal attachment to Trump and the Republicans by not using locally meaningful messaging is easy. Listening / communicating / winning is harder.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:53 am
@maporsche,
Well, I was arguing with someone else when you chimed in mostly on their side, so you sort of assumed their position in the argument

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

layman

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

...region that has a very high number of things about it that are legitimately negative - and not problems imposed upon the populace there. Problems that they created themselves and exacerbate through their own current actions, all while loudly blaming Liberals.

Yeah, right, eh?

Quote:
Clinton said: “We’re going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business.”
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:59 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Democrats have tried that approach in that region for many, many years.

if that is the case - and they voted Democrat for many, many years - why/what changed? Ms. Clinton's messaging wasn't 'great but the change started earlier.

I'll repeat what I wrote earlier about this:

Quote:
Once we figured out that coal was incredibly destructive to both the region, the people involved in the production of it, and the environment as a whole via burning it for fuel, the relationship between the environmentally-conscious Democratic party and the people of coal country headed downhill almost immediately. There's very little the Dems could do to stop that from happening, outside of abandoning their position on environmental issues and that's a complete non-starter. It's not about a failure to listen to the people of the region, it's about ideological and ethical differences between the two groups - and I'm sorry, but I don't pretend there's an equivalence between the two positions.

The inhabitants of that region rely upon, as a way of life, resource extraction that is perilous to the rest of humanity's comfortable existence on this planet. They are - and I say this with utmost confidence - on the wrong side of this issue. The fact that they personally profit from the odious practice of mining and burning coal for fuel is immaterial to what the Dem party should be focusing on and what our mission should be, which is to completely end the practice of mining and burning coal as quickly as possible.

This set up an inevitable conflict between the two ideologies, but I'm okay with that because in the long run for our species, their comfort and continued profit is literally meaningless. Yes, this is something a politician cannot say, but it is the truth - just like it would be if I were doing the same.

Quote:
the question isn't really for you - it's for the national party. the national party needs/needed to listen to the locals on the ground. campaigning as if there's a one-size fits all plan doesn't work. people in the Appalachians know there are problems and are smart enough to know that what works in cities and suburbs isn't going to work for them.

pushing them into a tribal attachment to Trump and the Republicans by not using locally meaningful messaging is easy. Listening / communicating / winning is harder.

I mean, this sounds nice but is all pretty vague. What specifically should the Dems be proposing or doing differently there? How do you bridge the large divide between the values and ethics of the people in the region with the rest of the environmentally-conscious Dem party? And in a way that doesn't enrage the Dems' actual base? Not with vague hand-waving.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 12:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It isn't exactly a hotbed of tolerance and progressive attitude and opinion.

then why did they vote Democrat for so long? because they're stupid losers and should have been voting Republican all along?

http://appvoices.org/2013/10/09/appalachias-contested-history/

http://appvoices.org