Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 08:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Who is this "they" ?
maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 09:51 pm
@snood,
I think he’s talking about those in WV and Appalachia. Coal towns, etc.
Kolyo

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 10:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

So, you might say, move to somewhere where there are jobs. But, people don't want to move and leave their entire family behind. And moving is really expensive! Housing is unaffordable in nicer places when you have nothing.

Part of the problem with expecting people on welfare to move is the incredible complexity of figuring out a new state welfare bureaucracy. So you cannot make an easy transition. Another part of the problem is that you live a hand-to-mouth existence and cannot save anything up to get yourself started in a new town. If some friends hadn't come through for me, I'd probably still be on welfare. It is not set up to get people off it. (Now that I'm off, I'll never ask for another dime. I don't care if I starve.)
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 12:32 am
@Baldimo,
Quote Baldimo:
Quote:
No free college should not be a priority. Free college will leave a college education just as worthless as a high school education. If we have to hand out "free" money for school I would prefer to see it go to STEM classes that are actually useful to the public.

Sure, there's no economic growth in visual arts or anything like that, right? And really, why do we need doctors, nurses and speech pathologists? Why is it that other developed countries have free college and they have a higher standard of living than we do? Almost all of Western Europe has a longer life expectancy than us. And they all have free college, (oops, I meant "free" college, I'm talking to a conservative), and a national health care system.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 12:55 am
@Blickers,
Actually, I was really wondering why my high school (here called gymnasium) and college (here called university) education was worthless. [We do have to pay fees at university, though: you pay roughly €300 (~US$320) per semester for enrolment, confirmation, administration, General Students' Committee, and free state-wide public transport.]
Olivier5

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 01:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
My question was a serious one. If the Dems are trying to enact policies that will help these people, and the people consistently vote against the Dems, what are the Dems supposed to do? 

My question was serious too. It was a reference to Marie-Antoinette's "qu'ils mangent de la brioche". Your attitude is contemptuous, and short sighted. If all US liberals speak of poor white folks like you do, no wonder you lose one election after another... Marie Antoinette lost her head, ultimately.

I don't know much of US policies, but my understanding is that Obama pushed for an accelerated phase-out of coal. I understand the perceived need to catch up after so many years of US procrastination and climate change denial, but a decade more or a decade less won't make much difference CO2-wise... Why the rush? Many of these miners would be close to retirement, i assume. Take the time you need to retrain or rehire the others. It's more important to keep America engaged and trying to make progress on climate change than it is to rapidely reduce coal production.
layman

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 01:47 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Your attitude is contemptuous, and short sighted. If all US liberals speak of poor white folks like you do, no wonder you lose one election after another...

Very astute, Ollie. Kinda sounds like David Duke, don't he?

Or Hillary Clinton....irredeemable deplorables, and all, ya know? She actually thought that "insight" would help get her elected. In truth, it killed any chance she had.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 01:57 am
@revelette1,
I understood the article pretty well, and so did you apparently. It's just that you didn't understand my post well.

Of course the Republicans are not doing any better. But the left, historically, is the champion of the poor and the weak. A condescending "folks-on-welfare-stink" attitude is best left to the right. When the Repukes are able to posture as better listeners of the small folks, the dems should reallt get worried that they're doing something wrong.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 02:33 am
Women are coming out of the woodwork by hundreds, it seems, to claim they were sexually assaulted by some famous person 5, 10, 20, or 30 years ago. It's all the rage. They are Time's "person of the year."

Makes George Will's argument from 3 years ago sound kinda prophetic, eh?

Salon wrote:
KATIE MCDONOUGH
06.09.2014•1:55 PM

Washington Post columnist George Will doesn't believe the statistic that one in five women is sexually assaulted while in college. Instead he believes that liberals, feminists and other nefarious forces have conspired to turn being a rape survivor into a "coveted status that confers privileges." As a result of this plot, "victims proliferate," Will wrote in a weekend editorial that ran in the Washington Post and New York Post.

https://www.salon.com/2014/06/09/george_will_being_a_victim_of_sexual_assault_is_a_coveted_status_that_confers_privileges/

An excerpt from Will's article:

Quote:
Consider the supposed campus epidemic of rape, a.k.a. “sexual assault.” Herewith, a Philadelphia magazine report about Swarthmore College, where in 2013 a student “was in her room with a guy with whom she’d been hooking up for three months”:

“They’d now decided — mutually, she thought — just to be friends. When he ended up falling asleep on her bed, she changed into pajamas and climbed in next to him. Soon, he was putting his arm around her and taking off her clothes. ‘I basically said, “No, I don’t want to have sex with you.” And then he said, “OK, that’s fine” and stopped. . . . And then he started again a few minutes later, taking off my panties, taking off his boxers. I just kind of laid there and didn’t do anything — I had already said no. I was just tired and wanted to go to bed. I let him finish. I pulled my panties back on and went to sleep.’”

Six weeks later, the woman reported that she had been raped. Now the Obama administration is riding to the rescue of “sexual assault” victims.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-will-college-become-the-victims-of-progressivism/2014/06/06/e90e73b4-eb50-11e3-9f5c-9075d5508f0a_story.html?utm_term=.6e5d7f729e5b
snood

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 02:40 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I think he’s talking about those in WV and Appalachia. Coal towns, etc.

I am struck by the contemptuous tone. It sounds exactly to me like the insidious 'ghetto welfare mom' memes that have been used by Southern strategist rightwingers for decades.
Setanta

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 03:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In the United States, under the provisions of the National Defense Education Act, students could take out loans that were interest-free for them while they were in school (the government paid the interest), and which were interest-free for any time in which they served in the armed forces. This Eisenhower era act was one of several initiatives of President Eisenhower to fund education at all levels. Although his goal was to enhance science education, there was no restriction on those using the funding to pursue any particular curriculum.

These were commonly known as National Defense loans. At the time I availed myself of the program, the interest rate was 6%. Having gone from university pretty well directly into the army, the government paid the interest (to my hometown bank) until my separation from the service. Under the provisions of the act, I would have been liable for one half the interest for six years, with the government picking up the tab for the rest, and liable for the full interest due thereafter. My hometown bank never charged me a penny of interest, accepting the interest payments from the government, and forgiving the interest that would have accrued to my account.

The two universities which I attended accepted the direct assignment of a portion of the loans for tuition and fees. In the late 19602, that meant I was only responsible for the text book rental fees, about $15 a semester. Of course, I had to house and clothe and feed myself, which I would have been obliged to do whether or not I attended university. Many people in my generation were able to use the educational program for veterans known commonly as the "G.I. Bill" to cover those costs. It certainly wasn't generous, but it was enough to live on.

That program virtually guaranteed access to a university education to anyone who qualified academically, without regard to skin color, "race" or gender. It helped to educate millions of Americans, at a cost of about a paltry one billion dollars in interest payments to local banks. It was money well-spent. I thought Sanders was nuts to call for free university education, and frankly considered it to be a cynical political promise--one which Republican intransigence would have assured he was never obliged to keep.

But a modest program such as that, at little cost to taxpayers repaid an enormous dividend. There is no reason that something like that would not continue to educate people, and benefit the nation.
Brand X

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 06:13 am
@ehBeth,
This is pretty much Franken's speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqN6FLj7kJQ
0 Replies

snood

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 06:43 am
@Setanta,
GI Bill been berry berry good to me
hightor

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 07:13 am
@snood,
Me too.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 07:33 am
@BillW,
Quote:
The Grand Ole Pedophiles don't care if Americans have decent wages. They have proven that over and over again. They are more interested in slave labor. When the lower wage earners of the population can not receive a "living wage" for 40 hours of work a week, then that is slave labor. Next, they will reenact the "company store"! They are already working on new "Jim Crow" type laws; but, for mixed populace.

You know republicans didn't seem like they used to be this bad. Talking of the "company store" it just so happens I think I know what you are talking about. There is a small "town" a few miles where I live (just a couple of streets with a gas station and two down home restaurants)which used to be practically owned by the coal mines. The company built the shacks they lived in, they had to use the company store and I believe they used tokens provided by the store... When I told about this, I was amazed.

Speaking of grand ole Pedophiles, Roy Moore harkens back to the good ole days of slavery; lamenting the loss of the "united family".

Roy Moore: America Was 'Great' During 'Slavery' (Newsweek)

0 Replies

hightor

Fri 8 Dec, 2017 07:39 am
Breaking news story:

The U.S. economy added 228,000 jobs in November, a sign that hiring remains strong eight years into the current recovery

....so why do we need tax cuts to spur our economy?
0 Replies