monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:09 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I think Universal Basic Income is a great thing and a possible solution to a lot of issues.

We could just have the government give everybody a job. But the problem there would be that we would have to raise the tax rate to 100% in order to have the money to pay all the salaries in the next year. Maybe that won't work.

Hmmmm....

Hey! I've got an idea! Instead of employing everybody, let's just give them all a free salary with no work required. Yeah, that's the ticket!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:10 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Wrong, we have brought in Indians by the thousands because of their higher education in computers, exactly what Clinton promised WV!

Guess what, those Indians were ready to relocate and did so. If the people of WV who don't have jobs were willing to educate themselves and willing to move, they'd have jobs. But they aren't and aren't and simply expect us to pay for them forever

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

thack45

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:13 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Yeah, what are ya gunna do with some bastard who won't accept a cheap-ass bribe from an enemy in order to get what you want from them?

Why not ask the GOP about their strategy in selling their tax bill?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:18 pm
@BillW,
A lot of this would go away too if more corporations were open to remote workspaces. Maybe if government promoted these programs.

Technology causes some of these problems. They fix some of them too if there are incentives to adopt these technologies.
layman

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:21 pm
Just go to college, then move, and everything will be wonderful. Somebody should tell that to all the college graduates with degrees in Sudanese Cultural Anthopology, and such, who are living in their mom's basement at age 28, eh?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:30 pm
@maporsche,
Step 1: enter into a permanent telecommute agreement with your company.

Step 2: enter into a permanent telecommute agreement with a guy in Vietnam

Step 3: profit

Cycloptichorn
BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:33 pm
@maporsche,
There is a lot of that going on also - telework is a standard. But, ya gotta have the education 1st! tRump brings in immigrants, brand new, still, to work his facilities - where no education required. Why, he doesn't pay them their due!
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Are you just joking or are you trying to make a case that telecommuting is not a viable option for citizens in low-employment areas?

I just wonder because my company for example is slowing adopting a policy where I telecommute 2-3 days a week and our technology employees are 100% telecommuting (and at least 80% US based). They live in places like WV or I even work with a guy who lives in the middle of Montana where the best job one could hope for is gas station cashier. I hope soon I can work for this company and move to a much cheaper city than Chicago.

My CPA is also remote and lives in Nebraska.
Baldimo

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:37 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
A lot of this would go away too if more corporations were open to remote workspaces. Maybe if government promoted these programs.

I agree with this and have a work place where I can wfh. The problem comes from trusting those employees to actually work. I have had and currently have a job where it is preferred that we come into the office but it isn't required. It's a mixed bag and really depends on the person to actually do their work or in my case take calls and fix ****. It's more difficult to get drunk or high in the office vs at home and having good people makes all the difference.

Quote:
Technology causes some of these problems. They fix some of them too if there are incentives to adopt these technologies.

Technology fixes these problems if applied properly. Having a "soft-phone", software that acts as your desk phone, that works from your laptop via a VPN and remote access software is also important. Most of the companies I have worked for in the past, Lefthand Networks, HP, Fusion IO, San Disk and a few others all have these technologies for their employees and utilize them in their tech support organizations. There has been no govt incentives to use these technologies, they have sprung up as cost saving tech to the companies. The question comes down to this, should the company pay any bills for the employee to work from home? Internet, phone systems or networking in the home that might need to be done?
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:38 pm
@maporsche,
...and, a lot of work is done in India and other countries, why, cheaper. So, we give these rich jerks welfare (tax reduction) to move more jobs overseas or to robotic work! The Grand Ole Pedophiles just want slavery legalized!
Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:45 pm
@BillW,
Right, and I guess what I'd support is a program that would promote companies moving towards telecommuting with incentives to hire from states/counties that are economically depressed.

That being said, I have no problem with jobs moving overseas either. It provides opportunities for many and is overall an economic benefit IMO.
BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:54 pm
@maporsche,
I do believe in America first when it comes to employment. When overseas hiring is used to degrade American payrolls, that's wrong! We have gone over 20-5 years without pay raises while the rich get richer. Then these tax cuts to them primarily - that's wrong!

I like your idea of depressed area hiring, but they gotta get the education 1st. BTW, a lot of the education can be receiced in Junior College and Technical Schools. The computer industry also highly regards Certificates, not just degrees.
maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:00 pm
@BillW,
Don't think I'm against taxing the rich and investment income. I'm all for that. The rich getting richer is a problem, but not one that I think is best solved by limiting trade or taxing imports.
BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:07 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Don't think I'm against taxing the rich and investment income. I'm all for that. The rich getting richer is a problem, but not one that I think is best solved by limiting trade or taxing imports.

I am definitely not for that either. I just have problems with the rich and USA business taking our $ and putting it into other countries without any return to USA. Using your suggestion earlier, giving incentives to companies that share the wealth with their employees and USA communities - not, absolute straight giveaways to the rich!
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:09 pm
@BillW,
I work with too many foreigners who are changing the lives of their whole families for generations and the whole time being huge fans of America and the opportunity the country presents for me to ever believe that it’s a bad thing.
BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:37 pm
@maporsche,
Don't get me wrong, I do not think it is a bad thing either. I too work with a lot of foreigners and have nothing against any and all. The USA problem is that we would rather bring in others from other countries who educate much cheaper and will work for much less. We should educate our own and make it affordable (the same as they do) - and, then hire them! Equal standing......
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:59 pm
Quote:
James O'Keefe, the conservative activist who attempted to plant a false story in The Washington Post this month about GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore, was presented Wednesday with an Impact Award, handed to him by Ginni Thomas, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

O'Keefe accepted the award on behalf of his organization, Project Veritas, at an event hosted by the conservative group United for Purpose at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C..

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/363623-clarence-thomass-wife-presents-award-to-conservative-activist-who-tried-to

The wife of a female harasser in the hotel of a female harasser was presenting an award to someone who was caught in the act of trying to trick journalists presenting evidence of a under age female harasser (alleged pedophile) running for Senator of the USA. What in the world seems wrong with this picture?
ehBeth

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 08:11 pm
@BillW,
none of it is a surprise in the current political climate in the US