monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
80% plus people never want to "do nothing". That is a false argument!
Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I think that a different problem though. Education assistance of various degrees and some improvements to the national education system is a step...not the last step, but a step.

Not to mention that I think having a college degree goes a long way in having an intelligent populace that won't fall for fake news or some of these Appalachain's may even meet and befriend a Muslim for the first time and maybe lose some of that prejudice.

There will always be those that abuse the system; you can't fix that without blowing up the entire support system that many people rely on and need.
BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:08 pm
@maporsche,
Despite the negative Republican views of all of America and all of its people, I have extreme confidence in both! The small 10% of the whole or 33% of wayward tRumpians be damned!
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:20 pm
@maporsche,
Quote maporsche:
Quote:
Education assistance of various degrees and some improvements to the national education system is a step...not the last step, but a step.

America, which was an example for the world after WWII, is no longer at the top in terms of education or living standards. We are not Third World, like Russian trolls are posting on social media, we are definitely First World, but we are not near the lead of the First Worlders. Most advanced democracies have a larger percentage of the population college-educated, and with a greater life expectancy.

Free college should be a priority.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:26 pm
@maporsche,
Education assistance doesn't matter when there are no employers locally to hire educated people. It's not that I don't want educated people - I do - but what you're proposing doesn't solve the problem and isn't attractive to the population in question.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:28 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

They do when they're paid to do so, when they have no other credible job options anyway, and when doing something cuts off their other money streams.

Read:

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
This is a different point than the one I initially disagreed with but to comment on it, America is going to soon have more people than we do jobs. By a lot. We are going to have a hard time adjusting to that new world.

I think Universal Basic Income is a great thing and a possible solution to a lot of issues.
Baldimo

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:37 pm
@Blickers,
No free college should not be a priority. Free college will leave a college education just as worthless as a high school education. If we have to hand out "free" money for school I would prefer to see it go to STEM classes that are actually useful to the public.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:37 pm
@maporsche,
We can deal with this problem long before that happens. In fact, there was a candidate last cycle who had a specific plan to deal with this problem, and it was about more than education; it's about infrastructure improvement, luring companies there with tax breaks, and expanded social programs to help people get back to work and off of government assistance.

What's the alternative? I mean, we're not going back to mining the heck out of coal or producing tires in some small-town factory that employed 300 people. So we have to choose the best option available to us today.

Cycloptichorn

Baldimo

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:39 pm
@maporsche,
If we have more people than jobs, then we should limit immigration into the US. We should always have a policy that states "Citizens First" in all decisions.
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I’m not suggesting any of that. I think we agree on this point. I’m just saying that I want the guy pouring concrete to have a college degree if he wants. Not a free one but an affordable one and one that can work with their adult lives.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:57 pm
@maporsche,
What do we do about the fact that no concrete needs to be poured in the dude's region? Economically dead regions are a giant problem for our country right now and the true source of many other problems we see.

Cycloptichorn
BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:02 pm
@Blickers,
India for instance!
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I think infrastructure programs would solve a lot of that. Don’t you?
BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Wrong, we have brought in Indians by the thousands because of their higher education in computers, exactly what Clinton promised WV!
Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:04 pm
@maporsche,
Yup, which is why I voted for the person who had an actual plan to do that, as opposed to 'bringing factories and coal jobs back' bullshit

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

BillW wrote:

They do when they're paid to do so, when they have no other credible job options anyway, and when doing something cuts off their other money streams.

Read:

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

Cycloptichorn

Begging the question is illogical! In my work place we have people flying in weekly from Florida, Chicago, New Hampshire, Texas, California, DC, etc to work. They can fly in from WV too, if they have the education!
Builder

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 06:07 pm
Live now.

https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/videos/10160265048125725/?hc_location=ufi
0 Replies