monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 02:25 pm
@layman,
PRISM program, for instance, is court-approved but does not require individual warrants.
And Upstream surveillance consists of the mass copying and content-searching of Americans’ international Internet communications while those communications are in transit.
Warrantless.
Used under Section 702.
layman

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 02:54 pm
@layman,
I know that if I were Trump and had the vast resources of governmental spying available to me, I would be tapping the phones of Comey, Mueller, Ohr, Clinton, Brennan, Clapper, Lynch, Rosenstein, Podesta, and many others 24/7 regardless of what the law says.

See how they like it, eh?

Needless to say, the law allows for wiretapping when probable cause of treason is available.
Olivier5

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 03:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
WTF else am I supposed to listen to? Their constant whining about how their way of life has disappeared? So ******* what? Nobody's way of life is guaranteed to exist in perpetuity! 

Let them eat cake?
Builder

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 03:19 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I know that if I were Trump and had the vast resources of governmental spying available to me.....

I'd hazard a guess that he's still figuring out who he can trust, and who is a sleeper for the enemy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 03:27 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
WTF else am I supposed to listen to? Their constant whining about how their way of life has disappeared? So ******* what? Nobody's way of life is guaranteed to exist in perpetuity! 

Let them eat cake?

My question was a serious one. If the Dems are trying to enact policies that will help these people, and the people consistently vote against the Dems, what are the Dems supposed to do?

Cycloptichorn
revelette1

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 03:36 pm
@Olivier5,
I think you misunderstand what the piece was saying. It was talking about rural America (red states) was of life disappearing with the modern life. For instance, the coal industry has shrunk because there are more efficient energy sources. Farms have better machines and things which takes the place of people. Factories go over seas to avoid paying a decent wage. All of those issues need to be addressed; alternatives need be explored. Ways need to be found to send poor whites to higher education without huge cost, baby sitting and all that. It not that we need to less government, but we need to include poor whites too. You wouldn't believe the living conditions in places like Eastern KY and all along the Appalachian's mountains.

What is ironic is that republicans sure ain't going to address those issues. They think the free unfettered market without government help at all will take care of any problems. Republican are simply better at making government programs seem evil and intrusive and there really isn't anything we can do about that. For some reason Bernie's message did not appeal to rural American even though he out of everybody else addressed that group very well.
BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:06 pm
@revelette1,
The Grand Ole Pedophiles don't care if Americans have decent wages. They have proven that over and over again. They are more interested in slave labor. When the lower wage earners of the population can not receive a "living wage" for 40 hours of work a week, then that is slave labor. Next, they will reenact the "company store"! They are already working on new "Jim Crow" type laws; but, for mixed populace.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:11 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I think you misunderstand what the piece was saying. It was talking about rural America (red states) was of life disappearing with the modern life. For instance, the coal industry has shrunk because there are more efficient energy sources. Farms have better machines and things which takes the place of people. Factories go over seas to avoid paying a decent wage. All of those issues need to be addressed; alternatives need be explored.

The Democrats have been doing exactly this.

Quote:
Ways need to be found to send poor whites to higher education without huge cost, baby sitting and all that. It not that we need to less government, but we need to include poor whites too. You wouldn't believe the living conditions in places like Eastern KY and all along the Appalachian's mountains.

You can't send people to college who won't go. The problem isn't the cost, it's their unwillingness to do a single ******* thing to better themselves and get off of government assistance.

Quote:
What is ironic is that republicans sure ain't going to address those issues. They think the free unfettered market without government help at all will take care of any problems. Republican are simply better at making government programs seem evil and intrusive and there really isn't anything we can do about that. For some reason Bernie's message did not appeal to rural American even though he out of everybody else addressed that group very well.

His message did appeal to a lot of them and Bernie won in some very rural places. They simply didn't give him the delegates he needed to win the nomination.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
Ways need to be found to send poor whites to higher education without huge cost, baby sitting and all that. It not that we need to less government, but we need to include poor whites too. You wouldn't believe the living conditions in places like Eastern KY and all along the Appalachian's mountains.

You can't send people to college who won't go. The problem isn't the cost, it's their unwillingness to do a single ******* thing to better themselves and get off of government assistance.

I think that's a bit harsh.

There are some real impediments to getting adults into college. Rev laid out a few like childcare and transportation. There are many others, like a higher education system that almost demands full time attendance in brick and mortar institutions. The few online programs are viewed as black sheep in the education industry and many of those degrees are considered useless. Not to mention how difficult it is for credits to transfer between institutions or states or the non universal acceptance of certain certificate programs. Not to mention cost.

I'm laying out my experience above, as a 38 year old no-degree having adult who is going back to school himself. And I don't even have children, financing, or transportation problems.
BillW

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:25 pm
@maporsche,
Ditto! And, it is also the cost, that can never be discounted! Both, the increasing cost of higher education and living expenses.
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote Cycloptichorn:
Quote:

Louisiana, for one state, made all public colleges' tuition paid by the state as long as the student maintains a 2.5 GPA or, for freshmen, had a 20 on the ACT test. As a result, 70 percent of Louisiana high school graduates go to college. Not a wealthy state, but that's certainly doing something.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:28 pm
@maporsche,
Yes, but you live in an area where a college degree actually makes a difference when it comes to employment.

Imagine that you and your family and your extended family live in rural WV. You go out and get a shiny college degree courtesy of uncle sam, great. Feeling all proud of yourself. So you go back home to your town and... do what? There's no JOBS there! A college degree doesn't HELP you when there aren't any jobs hiring in your area.

So, you might say, move to somewhere where there are jobs. But, people don't want to move and leave their entire family behind. And moving is really expensive! Housing is unaffordable in nicer places when you have nothing.

On the OTHER hand... if you can get every single person in your family declared to be on 'disability,' well. That's thousands a month you get for doing literally nothing. Which would you choose? That's the option they DO choose.

Cycloptichorn