Below viewing threshold (view)
BillW

Wed 6 Dec, 2017 08:41 pm
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Franken could switch Party's and stay in the Senate.

Good point!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 6 Dec, 2017 08:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

The survey found that while a majority of Republicans and Democrats agree that a Democratic Congressman accused of sexual harassment should resign (71% and 74% respectively), when the accused offender was in the GOP, only 54% of Republicans would demand a resignation (compared to 82% of Democrats).

from the Time person of the year feature article
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 6 Dec, 2017 09:28 pm
@Olivier5,
I have no idea of what you are writing about and I fully expect that neither do you.

Not surprisingly, you have twisted my reference to the fact that Obama interfered in an Israeli election into an attempt to minimize Putin's interference in our election when this isn't even remotely true. My point, as I think you actually know, was to illustrate the tribalism motivated hypocrisy of those who insist that the Russian attempt was substantively different than Obama's, and to mock the born again, red-blooded patriotism of leftists who for the first time in 100 years have have found it profitable to assert that any deed or word that can be framed as representing an affinity with Russia reveals treasonous inclinations and intent...which of course they abhor.

Although I doubt it, perhaps you are too flat out dumb to understand that the argument that Putin did not and, indeed, is not attempting a hostile takeover of the White House is not the same as denying that Russians attempted to interfere in our election. If, as you and Cyclo claim, incontrovertible evidence of Trump being a Russian tool not only exists but has been presented in unassailable fashion in more than one American or foreign news outlet, why isn't it showing up on the front page of every newspaper throughout the world and why isn't CNN and MSNBC (not to mention NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, BBC et al) reporting it 24/7? Are they afraid they will repel consumers with repetition and an absence of variety?

The evidence may exist, and Mueller and his team may have found it, but until they present it in a truly unassailable fashion, Resistance zealots insisting that the case on Trump is closed, and his guilt already made clear, are simply blowing smoke from one or more of their orifices.

You and many others here are absolutely convinced that Trump colluded with the Russians in an effort to ensure his election; that he not only is prepared to do Putin's bidding (whether as his part of the 2016 Election bargain, or as the requirement for keeping the Kremlin silent about his illegal financial maneuvering and penchant of Russian prostitutes with full bladders), but is already betraying his country by acting against its best interests to protect his own. No surprise here. You accept the veracity of any and every person or organization willing to make claims that cast doubt and aspersion on Trump, despite repeated demonstrations of the unreliability of anonymous sources whose knowledge and expertise on a given matter is based solely on claimed "familiarity with the matter" What the hell does that even mean? Do we have any journalist or journalism students here who can enlighten us on the precise definition of these clearly technical terms?

No surprise either that you continue to frame the debate on the matter known in general as Climate Change in terms that declare you and those who think like you to be Junior T-Men (Agents of TheTruth!) while those who disagree with your are ignorant flat-earthers who would deny the sun was hot if it served their financial interests.

I don't deny climate change, but I do have a problem with Climate Change as it is advocated by you and other devotees. I don't really see the point in restating my opinions on Climate Change and in particular, the notion of science settled by consensus, the extent of human contribution to the modeled trends, and the proposed "solutions." I've laid them out in numerous prior posts which I know you have read but which you nevertheless have concluded are informed by delusion and financial self-interest. To the extent a discussion of the topic ever transpired between us, I've no interest in pursuing it further.

Setanta

Wed 6 Dec, 2017 11:24 pm
Hey, sports fans--Plump said in his speech that all previous presidents had made a campaign promise to more the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem. I've sent a request to Snopes that they check that out, but I wondered if anyone here had some reliable news on that. Thanks Goys and Birls.
Olivier5

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 01:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I've no interest in pursuing it further.

Well then you're welcome to address your walls of obfuscating text to somebody else.

For your info, my "hostile takeover of the white house by the kremlin inc" was just a business metaphor for Putin trying to influence the US presidential election, something whichv did in actual fact happened. Nothing "melodramatic" there, given that this story is all about business. Certainly less melodramatic than calling the US civil service a "deep state ogre". Or do US postmen routinely eat little children now?
izzythepush

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 02:22 am
@Setanta,
It's not proof of anything, but the BBC does not dispute that this was a campaign pledge.

Quote:
The US president said on Wednesday he had "judged this course of action to be in the best interests of the United States of America, and the pursuit of peace between Israel and the Palestinians".

He said he was directing the US state department to begin preparations to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Despite warnings of regional unrest over any such move, the decision fulfils a campaign promise and appeals to Mr Trump's right-wing base.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42261000<br />
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 03:50 am
@ehBeth,
Yes. A Senate with Roy Moore and without Al Franken is about as clear a measure of how fucked US politics is presently as one might imagine. If, in next year's elections, the Senate remains under GOP control, I think that'll be it.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:09 am
Quote:
Australia Makes Gay Marriage Legal After Years of Resistance
NYT

Bravo to them.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:10 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Well then you're welcome to address your walls of obfuscating text to somebody else.

Yeah just like him to barf up a whole page of jibber jabber only to ultimately whine he's not interested in talking about it anymore.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 04:36 am
Quote:
The climate change simulations that best capture current planetary conditions are also the ones that predict the most dire levels of human-driven warming, according to a statistical study released in the journal Nature Wednesday.

The study, by Patrick Brown and Ken Caldeira of the Carnegie Institution for Science in Stanford, Calif., examined the high-powered climate change simulations, or “models,” that researchers use to project the future of the planet based on the physical equations that govern the behavior of the atmosphere and oceans.
WP
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 05:54 am
Sorry to rain on your parade there, Boss, but the eruption of Mount Agung on the island of Bali may put a temporary pause to the global warming capers. It erupted in 2015, and some scientists think it may do so again soon--the big one! At any event, the current eruption is expected to reduce global temperatures, although no one agrees on how much. A series of eruptions between 1812 and 1815, culminated in the massive eruption of Mount Tambora. The effect of that series of eruptions was a cooling sufficiently dire that 1816 was known as the year without a summer.
revelette1

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:10 am
@Setanta,
As usual, Trump is substituting his reality with reality or should I say, "alternative facts?"
revelette1

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:12 am
Well, we knew this was coming after the tax bill, or before really.

Paul Ryan says GOP plans to tackle Medicare, Medicaid in 2018 (CNN)
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:17 am
@revelette1,
Ah yes . . . and soft paper towels . . . soft, soft towels. The fat boy doesn't inhabit the same universe as you and I.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 7 Dec, 2017 07:24 am
Liberals Need to Take Their Fingers Out of Their Ears

Quote:
Given the triumph of contemporary conservatism, it may be time for liberals to take a look at the vulnerabilities of their own orthodoxies.

Democrats who yearn for President Trump should examine this list of Republican strengths: victories in all three contested special elections for the House of Representatives this year; Trump’s 82 percent approval rating among Republican voters; his success with the current tax bill; his swift evisceration of key regulatory policies; the Gorsuch appointment to the Supreme Court; economic growth of over 3 percent in the last two quarters; the Dow Jones topping 24,000; and the unemployment rate dropping to 4.1 percent.

(...)

Many Democrats continue to have little understanding of their own role — often inadvertent, an unintended consequence of well-meaning behavior — in creating the conditions that make conservatives willing to support Trump and the party he is leading.

(...)

In addition to the economic setbacks experienced in heavily Republican regions of the country, Schnurer, himself a liberal, argues that blue America has over the last decade declared war on the “red way of life.”

NYT

A lot to ponder; the piece deserves a careful read. Thing is, I'm not sure where it gets us, where we go from here...