Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:25 pm
@blatham,
And you haven't been taught to think?

Please stop your ****.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:26 pm
@blatham,
You label reality "simplicity" when it suits you.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No kidding. Trump is the target.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Glad we agree. That being the case, the way I described the prosecution is EXACTLY how these sorts of investigations work.

It's essentially a RICO case. Which is unsurprising as Mueller hired prosecutors who specialize in RICO prosecutions.

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:39 pm
Some well-spent taxpayer money here.
Quote:
Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-TX) was the lawmaker behind a $84,000 taxpayer-funded sexual harassment settlement with a former staffer, Politico reported Friday.

The settlement was paid to his former communications director, Lauren Greene, who sued Farenthold in 2014 over allegations of gender discrimination, sexual harassment and a hostile work environment, Politico reported, citing a lawsuit and unnamed sources. NBC News also confirmed the report.

TPM reported on that lawsuit after it was filed December 2014.

Greene said she was fired after complaining about Farenthold and one of his male staffers, who told her that the congressman had “sexual fantasies” and “wet dreams” about her. She also claimed that Farenthold drank too much and told her inappropriate things about his sex life with his wife.
TPM

Quote:
In January 2017, Farenthold voted in favor of gutting the powers of the Office of Congressional Ethics, supporting a measure that would remove the office's independence by placing it under the jurisdiction of the Republican-led House Ethics Committee.

Quote:
In a May 2017 appearance on CNN, Farenthold publicly doubted the Russian hack of Democratic Party servers and instead promoted a debunked conspiracy theory that the hack was an "inside job." When pressed by journalist John Berman, Farenthold defended his statement by saying that there were "Things circulating on the internet."

Quote:
In 2010, images of Farenthold dressed in duck pajamas alongside women in lingerie emerged on the website thecrushgirls.com.
All quotes from his wikipedia page.

And here's the saucy bugger
https://dawm7kda6y2v0.cloudfront.net/uploads/2017/12/AP_17249641416211-654x362.jpg
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The first time I saw the bit about anyone being made to feel "uncomfortable" was in the reader's comment in the NYT opinion piece I posted earlier. I didn't know you were referring to its use by Franken and was unaware of it.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:43 pm
@maporsche,
You seem to have a very limited mindset about how progressives are supposed to act.

I didn’t join their team and study their playbook.

It’s not moderate to point out bullshit in both parties. It’s just honest and unbiased. We don’t have a party for those planks yet.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:50 pm
Oh I do love this one
The first spin (which in this instance means lie) there was the suggestion that Flynn was some peripheral player and WH staff might not even have recognized him in the hallway, perhaps forgetting that Flynn was under consideration of the VP spot, that Trump on many occasions said wonderful things about the man and that Flynn was the WH National Security Advisor. Now this one. It's a gem.

Quote:
Brian Stelter‏Verified account
@brianstelter
Via CNN's @GloriaBorger: "One source close to the president attempted to mitigate the severity of the charge against Flynn by pointing out that everyone lies in Washington."
7:15 AM - 1 Dec 2017
Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 03:06 pm
@blatham,
Hahaha, that's 'Clinton did it!' on steroids

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

lmur

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 03:13 pm
A news clip over here showed Trump taking a shot from the fairway during a round of golf. The golf nut in me couldn't help but notice that the swing was controlled and surprisingly elegant. Well, you know what they say. Practise makes perfect.
Brand X

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 03:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Turns out CNBC was correct, it was Kushner.

Also, Tillerson is saying it's 'laughable' that he would be ousted. Not really, considering how many heads have rolled.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:01 pm
@lmur,
I wondered about that. His position at follow-through suggested a decent swing. I've been told that I have a graceful swing but, mystery of mysteries, the ball doesn't seem to give a hoot.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:03 pm
Quote:
I’m sympathetic to the view that Trump might be deranged. He’s clearly in decline. But he is also a person whose record in public life is perfectly consonant with the recent behavior that has everyone so alarmed. A world in which a dotty old man who won the presidency by accident might be removed from office to avoid calamity, while the conservative movement rends itself into pieces defending a pedophile, is an awful one to contemplate, but the reality we inhabit is probably worse. It is one in which a president who is both susceptible to and a proponent of disinformation, and a thriving conservative agitprop apparatus, have met their perfect matches. Trump and his allies have joined forces to erode shared foundations of truth anywhere they can. “The more brazen or shameless,” writes Greg Sargent of these tactics, “the more potent the assertion of power.” The president’s mental health is merely a sideshow.
Brian Beutler
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:08 pm
It just occurred to me that there's a very good reason that people like Flynn and Manafort and Trump and Kushner are driven to makes millions.

They are just prudently looking ahead to having adequate resources on hand to cover the massive legal costs incurred by the criminal way they make that money.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If Pence goes down, Ryan becomes President. Hoorah!

In the extremely unlikely event that Trump is removed from office and Pence becomes president, Pence would choose a new VP.

In the even-less-likely event that Pence would be removed, his VP would become president.
oralloy

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It doesn't have to be. This is going to be disastrous for the Republicans in the mid-term elections and I fully expect the Dems to take the House at this point. Once that happens, they'll make Trump's life a living hell for the remainder of his two years in office

Fairly unlikely that the Democrats will be able to overcome gerrymandering.

Trump is going to remain in office for a full eight years though. If the Democrats gain the House and devote themselves to a neverending national temper tantrum about Trump, they will just make his already-certain reelection even more certain.
oralloy

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ABC News reports today that Flynn is prepared to testify that Candidate Trump directed him to contact the Russians and discuss removing sanctions on them.

They are also reporting that he is prepared to testify against Trump, against Trump's family, and against several members of the Trump admin.

This **** is big.

You might want to remember that there is nothing even remotely wrong with them having contacts with the Russians.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:25 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
It doesn't have to be. This is going to be disastrous for the Republicans in the mid-term elections and I fully expect the Dems to take the House at this point. Once that happens, they'll make Trump's life a living hell for the remainder of his two years in office

Fairly unlikely that the Democrats will be able to overcome gerrymandering.

Props for admitting that's what the GOP has done. It's not going to help them too much in the end, though. You'll see.

Quote:
Trump is going to remain in office for a full eight years though. If the Democrats gain the House and devote themselves to a neverending national temper tantrum about Trump, they will just make his already-certain reelection even more certain.

Sure, sure.

Cycloptichorn
oralloy

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:26 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I think I may win my bet about removal. My date was March 1, 2018.

No chance. Get out of the bet next time he offers to drop it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:26 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

You might want to remember that there is nothing even remotely wrong with them having contacts with the Russians.

That's patently untrue, as I'm sure you know. Nevertheless, you are correct in that this isn't where the meat of the investigation lies.

Cycloptichorn