monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:49 pm
Quote:
Mr. Trump’s defenders have fewer and fewer cards to play.
There had been a prospect that the obstruction of justice charge, if it did come, would be dismissed by die-hard Trump supporters as subject to conflicting interpretations of Mr. Trump’s state of mind, and therefore not deserving of impeachment or removal. No longer. Now Mr. Trump and his circle will stand accused by a former member of the administration with plainly unconstitutional meddling in the most sensitive of foreign policy issues. If the Congress and country believe Michael Flynn’s account, it is hard to see what even the staunchest Trump defenders can say in defense. That means that as Mr. Trump and the administration look out at the new landscape featuring a guilty Michael Flynn, it’s kill or be killed.
Quote from the NYT's opinion: Michael Flynn’s Guilty Plea: 10 Key Takeaways

Interesting read with some nice sources, from the NYT, too: Documents Reveal New Details on What Trump Team Knew About Flynn’s Calls With Russia’s Ambassador
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:54 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
...suddenly we have to worry about women going too far when all that happened was that they were made "uncomfortable."

Are you suggesting that any man accused by a woman of making her "uncomfortable" should face prosecution or condemnation? That seems overly broad and prejudicial.

The women who have complained didn't complain about being uncomfortable. That was the word used by pigs like Franken and The Prarie Home Pervert.

People have been making your argument for years (maybe you have too) and they always got slammed to the ground by the self-righteous Left. About time your ox got gored.

As for your roster of rogues:
Quote:
Ailes, O'Reilly

Denied guilt; paid off accusers; lost their jobs; many witnesses and complainants

So what? Pigs one and all. I've never defended any of them.

Quote:
Moore

Guilt undetermined at this time, denies any wrongdoing; anecdotal evidence of a pattern of behavior, many witnesses and complainants

So what? I believe his accusers and have previously stated I would not vote for him.

Quote:
Duke LaCrosse Team

Innocent; victim fabricated story; not politicians
(echoes of the Tawana Brawley case)

And the Left (here and in the wider world) went after them hammer and tong!

Quote:
Bill Clinton

Paid off accuser, proven pattern of behavior, suspected of rape or assault but not formally charged

Also the freaking POTUS!

Quote:
Al Franken

Photo evidence of guilt, proven pattern of behavior

Pig. Just the sort of thing a twisted nerd who was always dismissed by girls in HS would do once he got power.

Quote:
John Conyers

Assumed guilty; settled with accuser
(as far as I know — haven't really studied this one)

Would Pelosi have turned on him without real evidence?

Quote:
Garrison Keillor

Admits physical contact; accuser preserves anonymity; not much else known; not a politician

But a liberal icon. That's the trouble with the Left's infatuation with artistes, they get tarred by their favorites who turn out to be shits

The innocent were found innocent, the others are indicted to the degree that the truth of the charges and extent of the damage can be established. I don't "unequivocally condemn" anyone based on hearsay, not even Moore. Not until they confess or are found guilty in a court of law. I suspect that Moore and Clinton are guilty of serious charges but will probably not face justice. I know that Franken is guilty of at least one of the charges, for which he deserves to be admonished and personally ashamed but honestly, I don't think it amounts to being an actual "crime". This is where you and Lash can yell "Gotcha!"

I don't see anyone defending the non-politicians Lauer or Weinstein — do they belong to any particular "tribe"? The alt right would have us think so. At least Joe Barton had the decency to announce that he won't seek re-election. How come George H.W. Bush never even gets a mention?

Oh please! Of course Lauer and Weinstein belong to your tribe. The difference is that they can't preserve abortion rights.

I didn't know Poppy has been accused. Have to see the details, but if they are credible than he's not the good guy I always thought he was.

It's entirely possible for a man to live a long and rich life without imposing his lust on women. I've done it and so, I'm sure, have a great many other men. The assholes who are now confessing "Yeah I grabbed an ass or breast or two. Boys will be boys!" are admitting to sexual predation, pure and simple. We all sin. It's how we respond to the recognition of our sins that set's us apart. Casually dismissing predation as eroticism or "just being a guy" is telling.

But hey, I'm just a right-wing Puritan.

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If I recall, you've been proven wrong on a number of our adamant beliefs.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:57 pm
@blatham,
I presume prosecutors want to win in their prosecutions.

You, on the other hand, give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Rolling Eyes
Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Nobody's perfect! That being said, I can't imagine you're overly confident about the GOP's chances at the moment

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:58 pm
@blatham,
I hope it makes you roll up in a fetal position at night.

You are the personification of the Double Standard
Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:58 pm
Fox News is reporting that the 'Senior Administration Official' who ordered Flynn to call Russia and tell them not to worry about the sanctions on Dec. 29th was... Donald J. Trump.

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:59 pm
@izzythepush,
The "no one likes a dirty rat" ethos leaves something to be desired.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
That's how these things work yaknow.

Are you really that naive?

How it works is the prosecutor goes after a target, like a dog on a bone.

Flynn could spill the beans and be entirely truthful, but prosecutors don't care about that.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Maybe; maybe not
0 Replies

Brand X

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
CNBC is reporting that it was Kushner.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:04 pm
@Brand X,
Didn't they also report Tillerson was being replaced?

Resistance Media feeding frenzy.

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
There had been a prospect that the obstruction of justice charge, if it did come, would be dismissed by die-hard Trump supporters as subject to conflicting interpretations of Mr. Trump’s state of mind, and therefore not deserving of impeachment or removal. No longer.
I think this is somewhat romantic, as amazing at that is. Note just earlier Finn suggested that Flynn might say/do anything to reduce penalties. For a time at least, this is the sort of story that right wing media will be pushing forward. Much depends upon what further information comes out and the electoral ramifications of such information.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:05 pm
@blatham,
You like a dirty rat?

How about Katherine Wiley?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:09 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
this is the sort of story that right wing media will be pushing forward

This is "the story" the entire media should be reporting because it is entirely consistent with criminal prosecutions, but no, they all are in a feeding frenzy.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:09 pm
@Lash,
This doesn't sound like what a progressive would do....

In fact, it sounds pretty moderate. It's literally finding a middle ground, which you claim to be anathema to your personal being.
izzythepush

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:16 pm
@blatham,
Trump's always the first to chuck people under the bus. He doesn't inspire loyalty.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I presume prosecutors want to win in their prosecutions.

Yes but that simplicity gets you nowhere at all. Unless you want to hold or argue that this professional desire trumps all else.

All members of profession ______ will cast aside all moral and professional considerations in order to achieve ________. That's lazy or it's nuts.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
That's how these things work yaknow.

Are you really that naive?

How it works is the prosecutor goes after a target, like a dog on a bone.

Flynn could spill the beans and be entirely truthful, but prosecutors don't care about that.

Yes, but Flynn isn't the target. You get that right

They knew Flynn was lying because they had him on tape. They knew from day one he was lying. My guess would be that they have asked a lot of other Trump admin officials to back up Flynn's accounts and they're going to just keep charging more and more people that are caught in lies.

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 02:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I hope it makes you roll up in a fetal position at night.
There's no question that such an opinion is cause in me for something like despair. Nobody except those who attend to modern right wing media believe this to be so. Because they are told, every hour of every day, that all media except right wing media are not to be trusted. This is the fundamental premise of modern RW media and it is the means whereby it makes its money.
Quote:
You are the personification of the Double Standard
And there's an example of how you have been taught to think. Binary opposites. Two possibilities. There's a RW media and a LW media. Independence is impossible.