monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:37 am
Quote:
Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account
@mattyglesias
This week on America: The CEO class is happy to watch the civic institutions that built the most prosperous society in human history burn to the ground if it helps them get a cut in the corporate tax rate.

One can go further. One can observe that this class (or many of the most powerful in it) don't merely see this destruction of many civic institutions as an unfortunate or irrelevant consequence. They see it as a necessary step to taking decision-making away from citizens
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:43 am
Apparently, while speaking to Mueller's investigators, Michael Flynn encouraged them to chant, "Lock Me Up".
(I stole that joke)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:45 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Apparently, Flynn has just pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his outreach to Russia over US sanctions. This will not pass quietly. And it may have some bearing on Trump's recent behavior.

It means he's flipped. You may recall that his lawyers stopped communication with the who few weeks back, we knew then this was the likely result.

**** is about to get real hot in the Mueller investigation. Flynn is in a position to directly sink any number of Trump officials, including the man himself. Can't wait for the next shoe to drop.

As for the man himself, he's a ******* scumbag and I am pleased as punch that he's going to help build a case against his fellow scumbags.

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
It means he's flipped.
That seems to be the emerging consensus. And it makes sense. We'll see. I expect we'll get some clues as to how significant this is for Trump when he tweets about it or when he explains to Santa Claus and a group of children how he has been victimized because of his Christian faith and his successes in making America great again.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:55 am
@Lash,
I'd really like to know where I've "excused" any "group's" unacceptable behavior. I've pointed out that we've been discussing a range of different actions, some of which are criminal, some horrifying, some simply inappropriate, all reprehensible. I'm not alone in expressing, along with other men and women, some concern that in the current atmosphere, where every incident is being publicized, louts and boors are being lumped together with criminals and psychopaths. Here are two responses to an article in today's NYT; at least one of the authors identifies as a woman:
Quote:
Actual rules and policies need to be created to differentiate between actual harassment, sexual harassment, sexual assault, and “oh, he made me uncomfortable."

and
Quote:
Sexual harassment or assault are terrible things, but not all cases rise to the level of actual assault. Feeling uncomfortable is not assault, and some women seem to have a low bar for what constitutes harassment.

If we want to charge, try, and convict men who sexually harass women we need to present a strong unambiguous case with enough credibility to convince a jury. With the amount of attention this topic has drawn I would hope that women in these situations are emboldened to compile evidence and document instances of harassment and intimidation as I suggested in an earlier post. A journal or diary, contemporaneous accounts from friends, contact with and advice from a lawyer or women's rights group can help the charges stick and get beyond the "he said she said" stalemate.

And for men whose behavior doesn't quite meet the definition of "criminal", public shaming seems to be an effective tactic, at least until we can rewrite the laws which apply to this kind of behavior.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:56 am
@blatham,
True in my feminine view.
hightor

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 09:04 am
Trump is Cracking Up

Quote:
Paul Joseph Watson is an editor and staff writer for Infowars, the website published by archconspiracist Alex Jones. Stories on the site claim that the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax and the “deep state” orchestrated August’s racist mayhem in Charlottesville, Va. On Wednesday, when Donald Trump retweeted anti-Muslim videos from the British fascist organization Britain First, Watson thought Trump had gone too far. He tweeted: “Yeah, someone might want to tell whoever is running Trump’s Twitter account this morning that retweeting Britain First is not great optics.”

By the end of the day, Trump had been condemned by Prime Minister Theresa May of Britain, to which he responded by going after a different Theresa May on Twitter, dragging an obscure woman who at the time had six followers into the limelight. In another tweet, he insinuated that the TV host Joe Scarborough killed an intern in 2001, when he was a congressman. This came after news reports informed us that Trump is still a birther and that he no longer admits that the voice on the infamous “Access Hollywood” tape is his own. He seems to be cracking up.

There is a debate over whether Trump is unaware of reality or merely indifferent to it. He might be delusional, or he might simply be asserting the power to blithely override truth, which is the ultimate privilege of a despot. But reports from the administration all suggest an increasingly unhinged and chaotic president. Trump’s aides are trying to spin his behavior, which they clearly expect to get worse, as a sign of heightened confidence. “Officials tell us Trump seems more self-assured, more prone to confidently indulging wild conspiracies and fantasies, more quick-triggered to fight than he was during the Wild West of the first 100 days in office,” Mike Allen reports on Axios.

This should be seen as an emergency situation. But now that Republicans are about to get their tax cuts, they appear to have decided that it doesn’t matter whether the president is sane. “One senator who listened as the president revived his doubts about Mr. Obama’s birth certificate chuckled on Tuesday as he recalled the conversation,” Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Martin reported in The New York Times this week. In Politico, the conservative Rich Lowry made the argument that beneath the tempestuous surface, the Trump presidency is going relatively well, installing right-wing judges and rolling back regulations instituted by Barack Obama. On CNN, Senator Lindsey Graham chided the press for treating Trump like “some kind of kook not fit to be president,” which is some serious gaslighting from a man who previously called Trump “crazy,” a “kook” and “unfit for office.”
The message here is clear: Republicans aren’t going to defy their mad king over anything as mushy and amorphous as democratic norms, rationality or national honor. Indeed, whether Trump is mentally ill or simply unbound, his provocations can serve a purpose for the Republican Party, numbing the country to a tide of less flamboyant outrages. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, for example, appears to have flat-out lied when he said that his agency’s comprehensive analysis shows the Republican tax bill paying for itself through economic growth; according to The Times, no such analysis exists. This should be a scandal, but when an administration lies all the time, it makes a lie like this less shocking.

Less than a month ago Thomas Wright, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, warned that it was a mistake to infer that what we’ve seen so far of the Trump administration will be “as bad as it gets.” As time goes on, he wrote, “Trump will find people who will empower him, instead of trying to contain him. Some of these will be junior officials who gain experience. Others may be opportunists who see a chance to gain high office by pledging to be more of a loyalist than the current cabinet.”

One such figure, Wright wrote, might be Senator Tom Cotton, Republican of Arkansas, who has previously said that cabinet members who won’t unreservedly enact the president’s vision should resign. On Thursday, The Times reported that Cotton, who like the president is a defender of waterboarding, could be on his way to head the C.I.A. He would replace Mike Pompeo, who is himself expected to replace Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

These moves would put the country closer to war with Iran, a course Cotton almost appears to welcome. In an October speech at the Council on Foreign Relations, he said: “If we are forced to take action, the United States has the ability to totally destroy Iran’s nuclear infrastructure. And if they choose to rebuild it, we could destroy it again, until they get the picture.”

Meanwhile, Trump has put us on a track toward armed conflict with North Korea; on Thursday he resumed tweeting insults about that country’s thin-skinned leader, writing, “The Chinese Envoy, who just returned from North Korea, seems to have had no impact on Little Rocket Man.”

If you think 2017 was bad, imagine an America without allies fighting another two-front war, this one involving nuclear weapons, under the leadership of the most hated president in modern history, while a torture apologist runs the C.I.A. The world right now is a powder keg. Trump, an untethered maniac, sits atop it, flicking a lighter that Republicans in Congress could take away, but won’t. If everything goes up in flames, we can’t say we weren’t warned.

NYT
Lash

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 09:08 am
@Olivier5,
I’m not partisan at all. I despise both parties.

I did notice this one honest guy who gave a public voice to several things that are incredibly important to me. I like that guy and a few people who also like him.

That’s not partisan.
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 09:09 am
@ossobucotemp,
Tah.
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 09:29 am
Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up!

Hell, lock them up! A true criminal organization.
0 Replies

Letty

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:15 am
@Setanta,
Good morning. This is Letty's daughter, Beth. You must read the books or watch the videos by Eustace Mullins. Best researcher of facts in the world. His mentor was the great poet and researcher, Ezra Pound. I will share. Also listen to Ben Freedman's 1961 speech. VERY important for all Americans and the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul3Iyq1i_30
Olivier5

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:22 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Women didn't come to this numerical dominance (mainly in elementary schools) for any other reason than that they were second class citizens. And let's note that females teaching at the university level were extremely rare until recently.

Irrespective of why it happened, the current situation is that of an education profession that is majoritarily female at primary and secondary levels, and increasingly also at tertiary level. Mothers also play a significant role in raising and educating their own kids. And this provides opportunities to introduce cultural change.

"The patriarchy" is a convenient boogeyman, but focussing on it a bit too much leads to ignoring women's abilities and responsibilities to help change this world.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:26 am
@Lash,
Your hatred is massively focused on the left. Every now and then you make some vague noise towards the right, just to keep your pretense up.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:27 am
@Letty,
Hey Beth! How is Letty?
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:32 am
I’m really surprised at your antiquated, just plain incorrect views about issues facing women. I had to laugh at my own bias, imagining French people to at least be forward-thinking about gender issues.

It is a fact that predominantly female occupations are devalued.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/sunday-review/why-dont-more-men-go-into-teaching.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Part:

A change in the gender imbalance could sway the way teaching is regarded. Jobs dominated by women pay less on average than those with higher proportions of men, and studies have shown that these careers tend to enjoy less prestige as well.

Although teaching was once a career for men, by the time women began entering the work force in large numbers in the 1960s, teaching, along with nursing, was one of very few careers open to them. But despite inroads that women have made entering previously male-dominated fields, there has not been a corresponding flow of men into teaching and nursing.

“We’re not beyond having a cultural devaluation of women’s work,” said Philip N. Cohen, a sociologist at the University of Maryland. “So that if a job is done primarily by women, people tend to believe it has less value.”

Although teachers have more time off and, at least for now, better benefits and job security than many other professions, their pay has remained essentially stagnant since 1970 in inflation-adjusted terms. The median pay for an elementary school teacher is now about $40,000.
Olivier5

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:42 am
@Lash,
None of that contradicts what I said. Women have a modicum of power in modern werstern societies. To deny that is just disempowering them.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:43 am
ABC News reports today that Flynn is prepared to testify that Candidate Trump directed him to contact the Russians and discuss removing sanctions on them.

They are also reporting that he is prepared to testify against Trump, against Trump's family, and against several members of the Trump admin.

This **** is big.

https://i.imgur.com/7drHiqr.gif

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:49 am
Flynn’s statement says he’s cooperating...
Lash

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:55 am
@Olivier5,
I don’t want to distract from breaking news, so we can take this sidebar to PM, but I don’t think there will be any benefit.

No one has a ‘modicum’ of power.

Synonyms for modicum: small amount, particle, speck, fragment, scrap, crumb, grain, morsel, shred, dash, drop, pinch, soupçon, jot, iota, whit, atom, smattering, scintilla, hint, suggestion, tinge

If that defines your power, you don’t have power.

———————————

Media is wall to wall Flynn.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:55 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Flynn’s statement says he’s cooperating...
... pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI. And is prepared to testify that as a candidate, Donald Trump "directed [him] to make contact with the Russians."