monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:01 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
you may not have picked up the absolute fury in my tone here
I certainly have. And I don't get it. Of course, I'm a male and so have lived, and think and write from a socially privileged position. I have some, but few, experiences with feeling in danger when just walking down the street as a car slows down or when the street lights are ineffective. I've never had cause to be anxious about being sexually molested by a woman. But none of this makes me a proponent of the continuation of things as they are. It's true that women's voices have been muted in these matters and so more than deserve to be heard. But at the same time, if we lose the voices of men who care and are well-intended, that's not going to work.
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:03 am
@hightor,
Quote:
@Lash,
Quote:
The solution is to stop your pop-lawyering for Democrat sex predators.

Anybody still unclear on this person's agenda?
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Theresa May says tackling the far-right as crucial as beating Islamist terror amid Trump tweet row

And this is the winner of today's No ****, Sherlock! award.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:05 am
@hightor,
That's par for the course, anything other than talk about his idol's disastrous presidency.

He'd rather talk about dead paedophiles, (Jimmy Savile, died October 2011, scandal broke October 2012,) than live ones who are running for office.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:18 am
@georgeob1,
Well, that was a damned valuable post!

Bernie: "Siri"

Siri: "What can I help you with"

Bernie: "Please gather together all of the posts written by georgeob on a2k where he has suggested or explicitly stated that liberals are uniquely snooty, pretentious know-it alls"

Siri: "I'm sorry but your iPhone 6 with 16 gigabites of storage will not be adequate for this task"
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:28 am
From the annals of "Speech Acts that Elevate the Discourse By Individuals Who Have Spent Their Lives in Pursuit of the Elevated"

Quote:
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Thursday defended President Donald Trump’s retweeting of anti-Muslim propaganda from a British ultranationalist hate group, saying that Trump reposted the videos to “elevate the conversation” about terrorism and “extreme violence.”
TPM
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:43 am
Josh Marshall has a very good (short) piece up on the "Tillerson will be removed" story. I haven't read further about this yet as I've been busy but it appears that the WH planted the story knowing it was untrue. Then, news outlets accepted the story as true or probable and wrote it up. Josh's final sentence...
Quote:
Some reporters really need to have a talk with their sources.
TPM

There are a couple of very important elements to this. First is the heavy reliance by many news outlets on "access". Will this administration particularly, a reporter's access to sources around the WH will be curtailed or severed if that reporter (or his/her outlet) prints stories the WH finds critical or embarrassing. So the concern has some validity. But where they are faced with an administration so untethered by norms of honesty, ethics and the deep duties of high political office, the normal behavior of media simply no longer work.

Second, these media entities, where they don't recognize that Trump and crowd, who are believers in and knowing creators of propaganda, are at war with independent media seeking to further the narrative that any media not right wing is not to be trusted, can and will predictably plant false information for the precise purpose of making independent media look bad.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 07:03 am
Quote:
Senate’s Final Tally: Plan Would Add $1 Trillion to Deficit

Senate Republicans’ tax cut would not “pay for itself,” according to a new report by the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation.
NYT

Hands-down winner in our As If They Give A **** category.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 07:08 am
@blatham,
He ONLY excuses one group.

That’s the problem.

He shouldn’t excuse EITHER.

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 07:09 am
Quote:
President Trump over the summer repeatedly urged senior Senate Republicans, including the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, to end the panel’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election, according to a half dozen lawmakers and aides. Mr. Trump’s requests were a highly unusual intervention from a president into a legislative inquiry involving his family and close aides.

Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina, the intelligence committee chairman, said in an interview this week that Mr. Trump told him that he was eager to see an investigation that has overshadowed much of the first year of his presidency come to an end.

“It was something along the lines of, ‘I hope you can conclude this as quickly as possible,’” Mr. Burr said. He said he replied to Mr. Trump that “when we have exhausted everybody we need to talk to, we will finish.”
NYT

Though I suppose it isn't news that Trump really, really, really wants to suppress investigations into this investigation.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 07:36 am
What the **** is wrong with Lindsey Graham? https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/936341623184744448
Quote:
What a difference a year makes.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) on Thursday said he is fed up with the media’s portrayal of President Donald Trump. “What concerns me about the American press is this endless, endless attempt to label the guy as some kind of kook not fit to be president,” Graham told CNN. “It’s pretty frustrating for most Republicans, quite frankly, that it’s 24/7 attack on everything the president does or thinks. It gets a little old after a while.”

This is very different from the stance Graham took in early 2016, when Trump was running for president in the Republican primary. Back then, Graham, who supported Jeb Bush’s presidential campaign at the time and had previously run in the primary himself, called Trump a “kook” and “crazy” in an interview with Fox News. He said his party had gone “batshit crazy” because it was backing Trump. He also tweeted that Trump is “not fit to be President of the United States.”

You can see the different statements, from 2016 to 2017, in a video by Deadspin editor Timothy Burke.
Vox
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 07:38 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I was speaking to the many species of injustice that befall women within a patriarchy where their membership is second class.

I always thought of "patriarchy" as a gross over-simplification of powerplays at work in any society, and how they evolve. It's a fancy but deceptive and disempowering concept in my view.

Eg beyond gender, class, race and age differences play a huge role. An average young black male in the US nowadays is often less powerful than an average middle age white female. Does that mean that some men are third-class members in the "patriarchy"?

There are also lots of power imbalances and competition between women themselves, a fact which the term "patriarchy" tends to negate, evoking as it does a lone patriarch surrounded by a retinue of non-descript, undifferentiated females.

Better to speak of "men-dominated" professions, countries or businesses; that makes much more sense, and it leaves open the possibility of change. It also helps realize that some professions or businesses can be "women-dominated", eg the education field in many contemporary western societies, which could be used as assets or byilt upon.

Women are not powerless -- there's a few cards they can play, always. Including saying "no" to unwanted proposals, as Hightor mentionned, even if this may mean a less well paid job or career.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 07:46 am
@Lash,
And you keep banging on democrats only...
Lash

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 07:53 am
@Olivier5,
Look around! Everyone else limits their criticism to Republicans exclusively.

The ship is sinking and every one of you have run to one side. I'm using all my weight on the other side in a losing attempt to create a little balance.

Despite that, I have criticized Trump a few times.
Olivier5

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:00 am
@Lash,
Okay so you're just as partisan as anybody else... Why would you expect anyone to behave in a better way than you do?
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:00 am
Quote:
Better to speak of "men-dominated" professions, countries or businesses; that makes much more sense, and it leaves open the possibility of change.
Unfortunately, there are almost none of these one can use as examples. That alone tells us a lot.
Quote:
It also helps realize that some professions or businesses can be "women-dominated", eg the education field in many contemporary western societies, which could be used as assets or byilt upon.

Education is actually a very telling example. Here in North America, over the last 300 years plus, teaching jobs commonly went to women because their employment could be engaged for much less cost than if males had been employed (also, commonly, the males who were employed in teaching were those whose lives were marked by disrepute of some sort, thus they too could be employed for small cost). Women didn't come to this numerical dominance (mainly in elementary schools) for any other reason than that they were second class citizens. And let's note that females teaching at the university level were extremely rare until recently.
blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:02 am
This sure as hell is not surprising.
Quote:
The Mercers, secretive billionaires who are among President Trump's most powerful donors, also helped to fund Project Veritas, the controversial activist organization, tax filings obtained by BuzzFeed News show.

Gravitas Maximus LLC — a Mercer investment vehicle through which he also funded the conservative outlet Breitbart — gave $25,000 to Project Veritas, according to a nonpublic portion of a 2012 tax form. The family's involvement has not previously been made public.
buzzfeed
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:13 am
The National Tree Lighting ceremony presided over by the very popular and much loved President Trump

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP6nFcGXcAAkPse.jpg

But those may not be empty chairs. They could be an attractive image pattern on the site carpets.

And in any case, this ceremony was attended by more Americans than any tree lighting ceremony in American history.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:30 am
If you want to grasp the magnitude of the Koch's domination of this administration and the modern GOP, read this piece (all documented) http://corporatepresidency.org/Koch/
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:32 am
Apparently, Flynn has just pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his outreach to Russia over US sanctions. This will not pass quietly. And it may have some bearing on Trump's recent behavior.