monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 02:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
you may not have picked up the absolute fury in my tone here

No I haven't. Because I don't see where the source of disagreement is. You stated previously:
Quote:
long past time for anyone witnessing these things or hearing about them to tell the men and women behaving inappropriately that it is not acceptable to them

Of course a lot of this takes place behind closed doors. Which is why I suggested that smiling demurely isn't the best response.

"I'm sorry, but I find your request demeaning and highly unprofessional. And I have documented this behavior."
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 02:34 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
The solution is to stop your pop-lawyering for Democrat sex predators.

Which I haven't done.

So what's your solution again?
hightor

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 02:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I don't really disagree with this but it ignores the reality that it's perilous to one's job to speak up about these sorts of things when the people involved are highly placed.

In the USA employees rights are really limited. The National Labor Relations Board is packed with corporate defenders, unions are on the mat, and all business cares about is short term profit.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 02:47 pm
Theresa May says tackling the far-right as crucial as beating Islamist terror amid Trump tweet row
Setanta

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 02:59 pm
@Lash,
Ah-hahahahahahahahaha . . .

And she calls me a liar.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 03:10 pm
I đź’–Bernie!!!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, she would, wouldn't she?

Every conservative in Europe has to decry the "Far-right"

The effort is on here to force American conservative do the same although we have no history of fascist leaders (Beyond Woodrow Wilson and he didn't try and conquer the world).

Politicians say what they believe they have to say. Precious few of them say what they need to say. Mays is not one of them.
BillW

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I would like to point out here that I have been a victim of reverse discrimnation. Fortunately, it isn't that I have been sexually abused in any fashion (that happened when I was 6 -7 years old by high senior boys); but, just the same I have suffered significantly financially.

I have a job where senior management was controlled by a woman and our staffing was 70%/30% women/men. We were implementing a system whereby much travel was needed to educate and work with other division management. Certain evenings after work she would have "beer talk" with her girls. These "girls" were doing their flings (married, single or whatever) with management of the other divisions and/or the software consultants we used. These were of course part and parcel of the "beer talk". Number 1 rule, what is said there, stays there. Of course, the "girls" advanced handsomely regardless of their prior education, work knowledge, responsibilities and abilities.

Just saying!
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:09 pm
@BillW,
Poor baby! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Wilson was a fool, and a racist, but he was no fascist. You just make it up as you go along, don't you Finn? I suspect you just pulled the name of a Democrat out of your hat.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:46 pm
@Setanta,
Yes, he was.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:47 pm
What's the scope of your intellect?

About 30 degrees?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:52 pm
What fools these mortals be.

A few pages back I practically begged you all to ignore me, and yet it's quite clear that lash, Builder and I represent the spice you all crave. Very Happy
Builder

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 05:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/11/27/clinton-ponders-2020-run-lets-not-forget-her-real-libya-scandal-glenn-reynolds-column/895853001/

And what we really need to know, is who got Libya's vast gold wealth, and who now controls the Nubian Aquifer project? If these men are being sold as slaves for farmers, where are these farms getting their water supply?
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 07:10 pm
Just as a public service, I leave this here.

I’ll start a separate thread about this issue.

Btw, I’d like to smack Amber Tamblyn 6 Days out of 7, but she is perfect pitch in this article.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/opinion/im-not-ready-for-the-redemption-of-men.html?referer=https://t.co/lR2LzqkGot?amp=1

Excerpt:

Recently, I was sitting on my couch between two influential, Emmy-winning writers, one a man and one a woman. We were talking about consequences. The comedian Louis C.K.’s entire life seemed to have been canceled overnight. His movie wasn’t being released, and his representatives dropped him after five women accused him of sexual harassment, behavior he then admitted. In just the past week, more famous and admired men have lost their jobs for such behaviors. Enter Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer right behind him and then Garrison Keillor.

The man on the couch next to me was disconcerted, making an argument that while Louis C.K.’s actions certainly merited serious consequences, what he did and what Harvey Weinstein did are two very different things. We shouldn’t lump them all together, he insisted. The woman was firm with her response: “Yes, we can and we will. Choosing consequences doesn’t belong to you anymore.”

The man balked with frustration. “What do you want,” he asked her. “What’s the ultimate thing you would want to happen to him, for what he did? That he never works in this business again?” The woman said, simply: “Yes. That’s the price you pay.” The man was quiet for a moment, thinking, until he found the question he’d been looking for the entire conversation. “Tell me something: Do you believe in redemption?”

It’s a valid question. But it’s also a question that makes me deeply suspicious of its timing. Why do we need to talk about the redemption of men when we are right in the middle of the salvation of women? Not even the middle, but the very beginning? Why are we obligated to care about salvaging male careers when we have just begun to tell the stories that have plagued us for lifetimes? It seems some men like a revolution only when it’s their kind of war.
ossobucotemp

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 07:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Now I need to dig out my Leonard Cohen discs..
ehBeth

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 07:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I guess you didn't read my post - immediately before the one you responded to.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 07:53 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Now I need to dig out my Leonard Cohen discs..

Adds, I will always love Cohen.
BillW

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 08:17 pm
@ossobucotemp,
'nother damn Canuck. Actually, I really like Leonard too......
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 08:24 pm
Cohen was brill. My favorite almost-son-law named my grand dog Leonard in homage to Cohen.

I know this is overplayed, and I know Leonard sang this, but THIS is the best rendition of great Cohen lyrics.

https://youtu.be/y8AWFf7EAc4

0 Replies