monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:28 am
@blatham,
He just views this as scoring points against the left. He doesn't give a flying F.

Nothing wrong with that; frequently I enjoy seeing the right fumble all over themselves (the Trump presidency has been great for that), but it's obvious what this is.

If Finn claims it's anything else then I'd believe him to be lying.
Cycloptichorn

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:28 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

MORE accurately, it looks like perverts and sex abusers are Democrats as well as Republicans.

I don't believe anyone ever claimed differently. The real difference is that the Dems have been taking women seriously and been concerned about their issues for, oh, I dunno, my entire life; whereas the GOP has long denounced and decried women who accuse men of abuse, and done everything they can both legislatively and culturally to ensure that they are not taken seriously and that abuse is allowed to continue.

This is what makes the current 'concern' on the right-wing so false. It's directly the opposite of their pattern of actions and beliefs. They're only doing so in instances where they see political gain. Where, I ask you, is the right-wing outrage over Trump, who has been accused of abuse and rape by about 20 women? Who openly brags about assaulting women? Where are the right-wing calls for investigation? Where's YOUR outrage?

Cycloptichorn
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:38 am
Lawsuit seeks details of Trump administration’s policies on surveilling journalists
Quote:
Two media organizations planned to sue the Trump administration on Wednesday for details of government policies on surveillance of journalists, which remain hidden despite the groups' public records requests.

The Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University and the Freedom of the Press Foundation said in a draft complaint, shared with The Fix in advance of its filing in federal court in New York, that they want to know how government agencies decide when to force third parties, such as phone companies, to turn over reporters' communication records on national-security grounds.
[...]
“The public has a right to know if there are sufficient limits on surveillance of journalists to ensure a free press,” said Carrie DeCell, an attorney for the Knight Institute.
... ... ...
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:39 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
If Finn claims it's anything else then I'd believe him to be lying.
He is following the lead of the media sources he attends to.

A comparable example to what we are seeing in these "arguments" would be if, when the left complains about the invasiveness and unconstitutionality of GOP attempts to legally mandate that women seeking abortions must allow a doctor to insert a vaginal probe to hear the fetus' heart beat, that this is hypocritical because many liberal women and men use dildos.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:40 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The real difference is that the Dems have been taking women seriously and been concerned about their issues for, oh, I dunno, my entire life; whereas the GOP has long denounced and decried women who accuse men of abuse, and done everything they can both legislatively and culturally to ensure that they are not taken seriously and that abuse is allowed to continue.
That is the thing, isn't it.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I’m completely outraged by the double standard in you, most of the people on this thread, in the D party, and the media.

For 30 years, I’ve observed Democrats get away with outrageous hypocrisy.

The Republicans are ****, in my estimation. My issue is - so are Democrats. They’re just craftier at camouflaging it.

It sickens me that you people are already constructing your disgusting equivocations for abusers of women. Your tribe’s abusers are less bad... Those women abused by Democrats are no less abused.

It’s relentless stupid tribal bullshit. It makes divisions worse. It put Trump in the White House.

Why did OJ get the not guilty verdict? Why did blacks celebrate and whites were incredulous? Because a certain segment of society had HAD IT with unfairness. They refused to play the game anymore. Same thing with Clinton specifically, the media/Democrat consortium generally. Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton. Let that soak in.

Your Democrats don’t give one **** about you. They’re corrupt. Don’t approve Conyer’s sexual perversion and harassment of women. Don’t approve powerful men who damage and negatively affect women’s lives because of your hate for Republicans. It makes you complicit.

It just feeds the corrupt ruling system.

Attack it with truth, fairness, and your vote.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:55 am
Garrison Keillor too?

isn't he a Lutheran?
ehBeth

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:09 pm
[quote]A silver medal word of the year: “weaponise”. It’s become a cliche, and I have to admit to using it in reviews. But it’s become a very tricky form of argument in febrile social media debate. If you think something is causing suffering, and someone disagrees, that someone can accuse you of “weaponising” the suffering. Adducing something in debate, referring to it, drawing on it as evidence, can be recast as “weaponising” it. The word itself has become well, weaponised. We have to speak out against this tendency, or we will end up being … what’s the word I’m looking for?[/quote]
Olivier5

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:12 pm
@Lash,
Thanks for letting everyone know what you find disgusting. You'd feel better about it if you realized that what happens between two consenting adults is none of your business.
hightor

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:22 pm
@ehBeth,
It's actually sort of funny. After I read Keillor's astute defense of Franken that blatham posted this morning I told my partner about it — and she misunderstood me and asked incredulously if Keillor had gotten busted.

Now, I find out he has!

I stick by my assessment of his Franken defense and will wait to find out the whole story. Or maybe not. Boorish horseplay is one thing; intimidation and abuse is something else.
Olivier5

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:36 pm
@hightor,
Looks to me like somebody's doing a fine job at cleaning the airwaves of dissenting voices, using allegations of sexual misconduct.
farmerman

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:39 pm
@hightor,
I see Kermit the Frog getting accused by Ms Piggy.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:44 pm
@Olivier5,
It began when she was much younger. Read what her younger siblings said about it—and his vaginal penetration of his biological daughter when she was 4 or 5.

This is who you defend?
————————————
His daughter is Dylan Farrow.
His son is Ronan Farrow, who btw, finally pushed through his story about Weinstein and led to this avalanche of truth against power.
Olivier5

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:52 pm
@Lash,
And a third sibling, Moses Farrow, happens to disagree, and so does Diane Keaton, former Allen GF. Not to mention the competent legal authorities.

And the point remains that Soon Yi did not have a filial relationship with Woody. She never was his daughter in any sense of the word.
Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:52 pm
@hightor,
Seems like the guilty are the ones defending the guilty.
Olivier5

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:53 pm
@Lash,
Innocent until proven guilty, anyone?
Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:55 pm
@Olivier5,
You disbelieve the abused child. I’m sure Diane Keaton has the inside scoop.

0 Replies

Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:57 pm
@Olivier5,
The judge said there was enough evidence to pursue criminal charges, but the child was too traumatized to go through it.

Woody Allen had to acquiesce to counseling for getting Dylan to suck his thumb.

And Bill Clinton was impeached btw...
Setanta

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:58 pm
Will people please stop facilitating Lash's diversion of the thread? This thread certainly is not about Mia Farrow and that creep Allen. It's about Plump and relevant, contemporary events.
Olivier5

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:11 pm
@Lash,
His thumb, huh? Now that's just awful... Meanwhile, in Yemen, people have real problems.