monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:27 am
Quote:
Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon will head to Alabama next week to campaign for the embattled Senate Republican candidate Roy Moore, he told CNN Tuesday.

“I look forward to standing with Judge Moore and all of the Alabama deplorables in the fight to elect him to the United States Senate and send shockwaves to the political and media elites,” Bannon told CNN.
TPM
There is always the hope that North Korea will target Bannon's cell phone
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Frankly (no pun intended) I don't think he should resign. I hope he does but I've not called for his resignation. I do think though that he should be far more forthcoming and stop trying to weasel past his misdeeds. You would never accept his apologies from a Republican, nor should you.

I bring it up to highlight the stunning hypocrisy of self-declared feminist progressives.

Only now are so many of you realizing that sometimes men are unfairly accused of sexual misdeeds, and reconsidering "Believe the Woman" Only now are you getting worried about allegations getting out of hand.

A2K progressives as a whole were all for lynching the Duke LaCrosse team because 1)The accuser was a woman 2) The accuser was black and 3) The accused were toxic male frat boy jocks. Never mind that the accuser was a junkie prostitute with a record...it was highly offensive to you all that these facts were even brought up.

The disbarred DA was a hero!

For years you've all denied it was the case with Bill Clinton, until the atmosphere heated up and you needed to signal your virtue, by castigating a former hero who could no longer serve your political cause. However, Franken resigning would have a big political impact as would Conyers leaving so "Whoa! Let's put on the brakes!"

You created the monster and now it's turned on you.

I couldn't be happier about it.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised.

I've repeatedly referred to him as a pig, and those comments were piggish but they were not a confession that he actually did what he was bragging about.

Has he ever done such a thing? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were so.

I would prefer just about any other Republican to be president, but he's the one in the White House. If the Dems had run someone like Jim Webb, I would have voted for him, but they ran HRC, and in 2020 them may run Warren, or even Franken and so I'll be voting Trump again.

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:50 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Only now are so many of you realizing that sometimes men are unfairly accused of sexual misdeeds, and reconsidering "Believe the Woman" Only now are you getting worried about allegations getting out of hand.
You truly do not know what you are talking about. For more than a quarter century, there has been a robust debate within feminist thought, literature and criticism (and more broadly than the feminist community) about exactly these concerns. But I'll wager that the amount of feminist writing you've read is a very pregnant zero. I'll also be confident in betting that you've read nothing about the "recovered memory" movement nor the criticisms (related to the issues at hand) that brought it, belatedly, into disrepute. I have been reading and writing about this since prior to the establishment of Abuzz and much of my writing, then, was on Abuzz.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:55 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Picture traveling back in time a year, and telling people that by the end of November 2017, sexual harassment allegations had not really derailed the Trump presidency, but had effectively ended the careers of NBC’s Matt Lauer, PBS’s Charlie Rose, NBC’s Mark Halperin, Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Vox editorial director Lockhart Steele, NPR news chief Michael Oreskes, former New Republic editor Leon Wieseltier, and former New Republic president and publisher Hamilton Fish.

http://www.nationalreview.com/morning-jolt/454146/matt-lauer-fired-inappropriate-sexual-behavior-workplace?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=171129_Jolt&utm_term=Jolt
Cycloptichorn

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:01 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised.

I've repeatedly referred to him as a pig, and those comments were piggish but they were not a confession that he actually did what he was bragging about.

Has he ever done such a thing? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were so.

I don't see any reason why you would think that he wasn't confessing to true events, seeing as he had been accused of exactly that behavior by more than one woman prior to that tape being released.

Quote:
I would prefer just about any other Republican to be president, but he's the one in the White House. If the Dems had run someone like Jim Webb, I would have voted for him, but they ran HRC, and in 2020 them may run Warren, or even Franken and so I'll be voting Trump again.

That's a mark of shame on you, and it's sad to see someone who is otherwise intelligent make such a foolish decision. Statements like this are the embodiment of Party over Country and even over Morality.

It's insane to me that the man is a fool and a boot, and has been doing very poorly, yet you'd vote for him again just to keep a Dem out of office. Were the Obama years really so terrible for you? How bout the Clinton years, was that an 8-year long hell for you? Somehow I doubt it on both counts. And yet...

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:04 am
I'm pleased Steve Benen is continuing to keep track of what Tillerson is up to and trying to understand why Tillerson is gutting the State Department. There is something going on in this that is not clearly evident and which is irrational and conceivably very dangerous.
Quote:
Donald Trump’s Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, appears to be taking deliberate steps to hollow out the cabinet agency he leads for reasons that have not been fully explored. That includes, of course, an endorsement of the White House’s proposed deep budget cuts to the State Department.

Yesterday, however, Tillerson insisted there’s nothing to worry about. Foreign Policy reported:
Quote:
The U.S. secretary of state also defended the Trump administration’s proposed budget cuts of about 30 percent, calling the State Department’s recent annual budgets of about $55 billion a “historic outlier,” and describing the planned cuts as “just a reality check.” He said the administration is cutting the State Department budget in part because it expects to resolve some global conflicts that presently take up department resources.

“Part of this bringing the budget numbers back down is reflective of an expectation that we’re going to have success in some of these conflict areas, of getting these conflicts resolved and moving to a different place in terms of the kind of support that we have to give them,” he said, without specifying the conflicts he expected to resolve.

If this sounds familiar, there’s a good reason for that: Tillerson made a similar pitch in March. In fact, Rachel noted on the show at the time that the Secretary of State made the case that Trump could dramatically cut the State Department’s funding because “there will be fewer military conflicts that the U.S. will be directly engaged in.”

This is bizarre for all kinds of reasons.

First, Tillerson hasn’t been able to identify any “conflict areas” that will suddenly be “resolved” in the very near future. Second, if the goal of the State Department is to diplomatically prevent future crises, slashing the department’s budget is the opposite of what the Trump administration should be doing.

Third, if Tillerson’s pitch were true, and ongoing international crises were poised to effectively disappear, the White House could take steps to reduce defense spending, too. Instead, Trump World is doing the opposite, demanding vastly larger military budgets.

But even if one were inclined to put all of this aside, Tillerson’s argument is burdened by bad timing. Around the time he shared his vision of resolved global conflicts, North Korea successfully launched a highly dangerous ballistic missile.

The secretary’s bosses at the White House, meanwhile, also appear determined to escalate tensions with Iran.

All of which leaves us with a straightforward question: what in the world is Rex Tillerson talking about?
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:15 am
Interested in knowing who is funding James O'Keefe and Veritas? Find out here

If you were to imagine that the Koch network is central, you'd be quite correct.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:16 am
@Lash,
Do you have any evidence of your grave accusations, or should we take your word for it?

And why do you focus only on the man's supposed guilt in this story? It's two to tango. What about Soon Yi herself? Does she belong to jail, according to you, for breaking US laws?
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:18 am
@Cycloptichorn,
No shame on me.

HRC would have made a worse president.

You don't agree, fine.
Cycloptichorn

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
In no possible way could she be a worse president. That's a downright foolish thing for you to even say.

And yes, it is a mark of shame on you. It directly cuts at you and is essentially the same as announcing that you are a blind partisan; that there's no difference between you and the mouth-breathing claques on either side of the partisan fence. It's embarrassing to even read such a thing from you

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:44 am
Today's must-read.
Quote:
To date, Trump has made over 1,600 false or misleading claims as president. Routinely, the lies are demonstrably false, often laughably so. But this actually serves his ends. It is impossible to disentangle this from his constant effort to undermine the news media, seen again in today’s NBC tweet. In many cases the attacks on the media are outlandishly ridiculous, dating back to the tone-setting assertion that the media deliberately diminished his inaugural crowd sizes, even though the evidence was decisive to the contrary. Here again, the absurdity is the whole point: In both the volume and outsize defiance of his lies, Trump is asserting the power to declare the irrelevance of verifiable, contradictory facts, and with them, the legitimate institutional role of the free press, which at its best brings us within striking distance of the truth.

Press critic Jay Rosen has surmised that Trump represents something broader, “an organized campaign to discredit the mainstream press in this country,” which “takes many forms.” To wit: When conservative activist James O’Keefe got busted trying to bait The Post with a false accuser of Moore, to discredit the believable charges against him, O’Keefe skipped over questions about whether he had employed the woman, instead citing laughably meaningless video “evidence” to cast further doubt on The Post’s commitment to reporting the truth. Those who claim O’Keefe is now “on the defensive” miss the point. He isn’t trying to win an argument. The goal is to render fact- and evidence-based inquiry itself a cause for suspicion.

Trump is not responsible for O’Keefe’s antics, but they are fellow travelers. Margaret Sullivan, summing up the mindset they are both trying to achieve in their followers, quotes Hanna Arendt: “If everybody always lies to you, the consequence is not that you believe the lies, but rather that nobody believes anything any longer.” Others with similar missions have gravitated to Trump. Brian Beutler points to former Trump adviser Stephen K. Bannon’s deep admiration for history’s most successful wielders of the power of disinformation as agitprop.
WP

The fundamental glue that holds a community or a group or a nation together is agreement or consensus. Without agreement, there is no group. That is never perfect of course and, of course, it ought not to be perfect. But where the degree of fracturing reaches a certain critical point, the group will collapse. This is precisely the rationale and strategy of an agent who wishes to render a group or nation relatively powerless. It's what the rabble-rouser or agitator is up to.

For nearly an entire party and political movement to succumb to this sort of situation and to become comfortable within it is very, very dangerous.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Jo Cox’s widower, Brendan Cox, tweeted: "Trump has legitimised the far right in his own country, now he’s trying to do it in ours. Spreading hatred has consequences & the President should be ashamed of himself." (Jo Cox, a Labour MP, was killed by a Britain First supporter/member.)

And PM Theresa May condemns Donald Trump as 'wrong' over Britain First retweets (but says his UK state visit will go ahead).
Quote:
It was also unclear whether Britain would demand that the President delete them – or whether her criticism would be raised with the US government in any way.

But, the spokesman said: “Britain First seeks to divide communities through their use of hatefulnarratives which peddle lies and stoke tensions. They cause anxiety to law-abiding people

“British people overwhelmingly reject the prejudiced rhetoric of the far right which is the antithesis of the values that this country represents - decency , tolerance and respect.”
Source

And in the Netherlands, they are laughing about de domheid van de Amerikaanse president.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:53 am
@blatham,
You should send your bonafides to Dara Lind at Vox.

She doesn't seem to know what she's talking about either.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/28/16704580/democrats-sexual-harassment-conyers-franken-moore

Quote:
But if the Democratic Party chooses to continue to protect its members against harassment allegations, it needs to be honest about the choice it’s not making: the choice to be an institution that actually reflects the better world it says it wants to create.

Quote:
Franken’s bafflement is something else again. He hasn’t admitted to any of the behavior he’s accused of — he says he doesn’t remember groping a woman in a photo line, and that he remembers a 2006 incident “differently” from the way Leeann Tweeden wrote about it in a November article. But at the same time, he’s apologized to Tweeden and other victims for making them feel uncomfortable. It’s something of an “I’m sorry if you were offended” level of apology, but it raises the discomfiting possibility that the incidents that have come out publicly are just run-of-the-mill for Franken.

On Monday night, he told a local TV station that he doesn’t know if more women will come forward with allegations, because he wasn’t expecting any women to come forward with allegations, period. That could mean that Franken is trying to defend himself against shoes he knows are going to drop in the future — or it could mean he simply never registered occasions when his behavior overstepped boundaries or made women uncomfortable.

The second possibility shouldn’t be reassuring. To the contrary: It would be an indication that a self-declared progressive feminist — a “champion” of women, as he put it in his initial response to Tweeden’s allegations — did not see “caring about the comfort of women interacting with you in casual settings” as part of the job description.

Quote:
We know, now, that none of the things those men did in public changed the fact that they scared the women around them into victimhood and then into silence.

Quote:
Progressives have been intellectually aware, for years, that genuinely caring about women means allowing them to be comfortable in public and professional spaces — not feeling that they have to be on their guard against predation at all times, and not obliged to accede to coercion by powerful men. But the predation of powerful men and the presence of coercion in progressive circles, just like anywhere else, was an open secret anyway. And now the idea of the “open secret” — the sin that everyone knows about but that has no consequences for the sinner — is crumbling.

Quote:
There are plenty of self-identified progressives who say the Democratic Party shouldn’t have to make that choice — that the things Moore stands accused of ought to overshadow any criticism of Franken, that the presence of Trump in the White House absolves any sins of Pelosi in defending Conyers. That’s a choice that the party can make. It can choose to define itself by its members rather than its ideals. It just shouldn’t be surprised if the force of outrage against serial predation dwindles, without an institution willing to honor and embody it.
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:02 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It took me a while to figure out what point you and Geraghty were trying to make. But it isn't really a point. It's a implicit claim that the left is uniquely hypocritical in this matter. And the evidence for this charge appears to be that a whole bunch of left or liberal communities are trying to take responsibility for the prior patriarchal cultural arrangements which have regarded and treated women as second class citizens.

The failing here, I gather, is that because the left and liberals have been the actual historical champions of women's rights and gender equality (and conversely, that the right has fought against them or disregarded these values) that therefore their guilt in these matters must be placed at the feet of liberals.
Cycloptichorn

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:10 am
@blatham,
More accurately, I'd say that the right-wing is looking to weaponize women's complaints and use them to destroy as many left-wingers as possible. And not out of any actual concern for the women involved, who they don't give two shits about.

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You should send your bonafides to Dara Lind at Vox.

She doesn't seem to know what she's talking about either.

Not necessary. Lind is trying to do something valuable here regardless if it is uncomfortable for members of her political persuasion. I have no fundamental disagreement with what she has written. Male dominance in our culture and the abuse of women was and is ubiquitous.

Past that, you really haven't spoken to my post at all. You really are not familiar with the history of this debate.

You are playing a different game (now the reigning game in right wing media and thought) of trying to discredit people on the left for behaving in a manner that is entirely common, though deeply unjust and ugly. About a week ago, I related here a personal incident where I had behaved this way. Thus, there is hypocrisy. Well, no kidding.

Now, as the left tries to clean up its act, let's see whether you folks on the right will reject the ideology of Phyllis Schlafly, the "men are naturally superior under God's plan" theocratic lunacy of the religious right, that women should get equal pay, that women should have the right to control their own bodies and sexuality, and generally behave in a manner which demonstrates you actually give a damn about these things at all or whether you do not.
Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:21 am
@Cycloptichorn,
MORE accurately, it looks like perverts and sex abusers are Democrats as well as Republicans.
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:24 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
More accurately, I'd say that the right-wing is looking to weaponize women's complaints and use them to destroy as many left-wingers as possible.
Oh yes. That is precisely the game now being played. I expect it will get worse. We really, really need more women in political office - which, obviously, is a notion that the right will find offensive in the manner of their response to blacks' demands for a seat at the table.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:25 am
@Olivier5,
I think you might have called it incest. What, now you’re attempting to foist your overblown statement on to me? Haha.

Nah.

I said it’s disgusting. It is.