monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ossobucotemp

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:30 pm
@hightor,
I can't thumb up until I get my new computer, presently giving everybody at a2k a good rest, but I still have the thumb up instinct, and thus this post. Hmm, I can't do images either, right now. However, this all gives me an idea for a series of small oil paintings..

My Thumb
My Nose
One Nostril
My Imperfect Teeth (with smile)
Sunshine On My Big Toe
and so on. I might play with that, it could get me back to painting again.

Copywriting the idea, for sure. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:31 pm
@Olivier5,
I'm thinking similarly.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:36 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
relevant, contemporary events.

As opposed to Teddy Roosevelt?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:36 pm
@Setanta,
I get your point, somewhat agree except that diversion is a long time method on a2k of not only obfuscating but also involving some camaraderie, not always a bad thing.

Besides, this is Bernie Latham's thread.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:38 pm
Quote:
In response to questions about the veracity of the videos Trump retweeted, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders offered this to CBS News's Major Garrett: “Whether it's a real video, the threat is real. His goal is to promote strong border security and strong national security.”

Yes, you read that right: The White House that complains almost daily about “fake news” doesn't care if these videos are fake news as long they serve real purposes. Sanders just tacitly endorsed the concept of propaganda, and she said it out loud.
WaPo

However, Fransen (deputy leaser of Britain First) sounds a lot like the president of the United States.
I really get the idea that Trump is a particularly stupid neo-Nazi sympathizer.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:01 pm
@hightor,
Funny in an ironic way.

If you were a woman having her ass grabbed by a sitting Senator you might not define it as simply "boorish horseplay"
Setanta

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:05 pm
I can't enforce anything here, but I can remind members to stay on topic. I can remind them that some members such as Lash and Builder willfully divert the topic from Plump and the Republican Party. It is equally reasonable to point out when any random phony comes along who just likes to argue, and doesn't care whose thread he pisses on to do it. The Roosevelts and the Bush crew are relevant and contemporary because the topic of plutocrats in the United States was introduced, and one can see how far both major parties have degenerated in the last 70 years--something very relevant to our contemporary situation.
Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:05 pm
@Setanta,
Sit down, Miss Nellie.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

In no possible way could she be a worse president. That's a downright foolish thing for you to even say.

And yes, it is a mark of shame on you. It directly cuts at you and is essentially the same as announcing that you are a blind partisan; that there's no difference between you and the mouth-breathing claques on either side of the partisan fence. It's embarrassing to even read such a thing from you

Cycloptichorn

Sez you.

You know Cyclo just because you believe something doesn't make it so and guess what? If my stock has gone down in your assessment, I'll manage to live through the terrible blow. Smile

Your post is pure ad hominem. I'm disappointed. Laughing
Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Yes, so let's sex up children 'cause that's not as bad as starving in Yemen.

Any children caught your eye lately?
Setanta

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:08 pm
@Lash,
Ah-hahahahahahahaha . . .

Temper, temper, Wicked Witch of the Right.

Remember kids, only you can prevent thread diversion.
hightor

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If you were a woman having her ass grabbed by a sitting Senator you might not define it as simply "boorish horseplay"

True.

However it's defined a well-placed kick in the knee and a warning never to do it again and that would be the end of it.

Men are subjected to similar crap — belittling, ethnic slurs, and stupid practical jokes. "Har-dee-har-har!" Real barrel of laughs.
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:16 pm
@ehBeth,
"weaponize"
Like many terms, one has to be careful in use. But the meaning is not unclear and it is, as we've been using it, is both consistent and rational. I can't think of another English term that is as concise and clear in meaning.
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:17 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Remember kids, only you can prevent thread diversion.

While you openly practise it with your personal war on the character of another member here.

NPD much, kiddo?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:17 pm
@blatham,
Climb down from your high horse Mountie Smile

Given the opportunity to reject or support Schlafly's ridiculous notion (assuming you are being accurate) I would reject it, but I'm under no obligation to tell you or anyone else here where I agree and disagree with prominent conservatives or Republicans.

Of course, women should get equal pay for equal work. Tell that to Obama, HRC and the DNC.

They should also be able to control their own sexuality if by that you mean the use of contraception or free of retribution in declaring themselves lesbian.

Controlling their bodies in terms of abortion is a glib argument that assumes a fetus is part of her body rather than a distinct human life. You can try pinning my rejection of abortion on a disregard for women's rights but then I will turn around a argue your acceptance of it is a disregard for human rights.

How heroic you are for admitting to boorish (or worse) behavior with a woman or women! You confessed and now all is OK. I, on the other hand, have nothing to confess in this regard. I am hardly a saint but I have never found myself imagining that any woman really wanted my sexual advances even though they were never invited. I have a lovely wife, daughter, and sister and would (and have) physically beat any man who pulled the **** Franken, Conyer, Keilor, Laurer et all have pulled.

Now that the Left is trying to clean up its act?

With what defenses of Franken and his fellow pervs?

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:20 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

He just views this as scoring points against the left. He doesn't give a flying F.

Nothing wrong with that; frequently I enjoy seeing the right fumble all over themselves (the Trump presidency has been great for that), but it's obvious what this is.

If Finn claims it's anything else then I'd believe him to be lying.

Well, I'll just have to live with that. Smile

Honestly, though, you don't have a ******* clue as to what I do or don't give a flying **** about so stuff it you pompous twit. Wink
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:24 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

True.

However it's defined a well-placed kick in the knee and a warning never to do it again and that would be the end of it.

Men are subjected to similar crap — belittling, ethnic slurs, and stupid practical jokes. "Har-dee-har-har!" Real barrel of laughs.

Ha! From you, a victim of toxic masculinity. You do realize that violence is not the first thing that runs through a woman's mind when she feels threatened. I think it should, but then I (and you) have a much better chance of backing up violence against a man than does a woman.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:26 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Besides, this is Bernie Latham's thread.
To be clear, I don't claim any sort of ownership here. I'll keep at what I set out to do when I originated it and I'll do what I can to encourage folks to recognize trolling (but most don't need my help in that) and how to deal with it. Setanta's attention to a typical means by which threads can become greatly decreased in value is welcome. On the other hand, I'm happy to see odds and ends turn up now and again, given they have value (like a good joke or, for another example, that illustration I posted the other day of a lunar eclipse darkening the moon).
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I really get the idea that Trump is a particularly stupid neo-Nazi sympathizer.
It's certainly possible. Bannon can definitely be described that way. I've never defined Trump using that term but it is quite clear that he is, at least, both using and strengthening that community.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

In no possible way could she be a worse president. That's a downright foolish thing for you to even say.

And yes, it is a mark of shame on you. It directly cuts at you and is essentially the same as announcing that you are a blind partisan; that there's no difference between you and the mouth-breathing claques on either side of the partisan fence. It's embarrassing to even read such a thing from you

Cycloptichorn

Sez you.

That's right. Sez me.

Quote:
You know Cyclo just because you believe something doesn't make it so and guess what? If my stock has gone down in your assessment, I'll manage to live through the terrible blow. Smile

You're absolutely correct. My belief isn't what makes things true. Reality is what makes them true, and my beliefs reflect that.

Quote:
Your post is pure ad hominem. I'm disappointed. Laughing

You don't seem to know what Ad Hominem is, to say such a thing. If you were forwarding or advancing an argument, and I said that argument was invalid because you personally could not be trusted to tell the truth; that would be an Ad Hominem fallacy.

Instead, I absolutely believe you are telling the truth and there's nothing wrong with the argument you're forwarding, logically. It's just revealing that you are perfectly happy to elevate Party over Country, and that you put no more thought into your politics than a bored, flyover-country housewife who gets her information from The View. There's no fallacy here, just judgement and disappointment. I say that because you're obviously not stupid, yet you're acting just like someone who is in fact stupid. It's embarrassing to watch.

Cycloptichorn