monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 05:39 am
Quote:
Can Time, Inc., Survive the Kochs?

The Kochs’ ownership stake in a mainstream media company may affect not just how the public thinks about politics but also how it thinks about the Kochs.

By Jane Mayer
NYer
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:02 am
Are there still people who really believe Donald Trump isn't a Nazi?

Quote:
Donald Trump's Twitter account has retweeted three inflammatory anti-Muslim videos from a British far-right group

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42166663
izzythepush

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:06 am
Quote:
Democratic congressional leaders have cancelled a meeting with President Donald Trump after he attacked them on Twitter.

The Republican president said he did not think he could reach a deal with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer on funding the government.

The Democrats said they would negotiate with Republican lawmakers instead.
Averting a federal shutdown is just one of this month's big challenges for Republicans, who control Capitol Hill.

The party's lawmakers are also under pressure to pass a far-reaching tax plan that they can send to the president's desk by the end of the year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42159139
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:42 am
@snood,
We're actually talking of Soon Yi Previn, Woody Allen's wife. Lash seems to think she committed incest, which is forbidden by law in NY state.

Lash is of course wrong about that, as she is about many other things. Woody Allen and Mia Farrow never lived together as a married couple; Allen never once sleep over at Farrow's appartment, and did not behave as a father to Farrow's adopted children.

Soon Yi married her mother's boyfriend, period. There's no law against that yet.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:51 am
@blatham,
Garrison Keillor wrote:
On the flight home, in a spirit of low comedy, Al ogled Miss Tweeden and pretended to grab her and a picture was taken. Eleven years later, a talk show host in LA, she goes public, and there is talk of resignation. This is pure absurdity, and the atrocity it leads to is a code of public deadliness.

Couldn't have said it better. Wake up, fools.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:53 am
@izzythepush,
It is much appreciated:
Quote:

https://i.imgur.com/C6UpxNS.jpg

Islamophobia is just one of the various controversial views that have been espoused by Ms Fransen, who Mr Trump repeatedly retweeted. The group has also called for the restoration of public hanging as a punishment, and members have given their support to religious war in the UK.

They have "Christian patrols", in which members walk the street hunting people who appear to be Muslim.

Retweeting Britain First is not only great optics but will convince everyone about Trump's politics.

Trump has legitimised the far right in his own country, now he’s trying to do it in the UK even with the extreme far right.

Let that sink in: the President of the United States is promoting a fascist, racist, extremist hate group whose leaders have been arrested and convicted.
revelette1

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 07:22 am
@hightor,
I hate to come down on this side, normally I wouldn't, but sadly I agree.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 07:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Quote:
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment as to why the president retweeted Fransen’s provocative and unverified videos. It was not immediately clear how the videos came to Trump's attention, but conservative columnist Ann Coulter retweeted one of them on Tuesday.
WaPo
revelette1

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 07:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Crying or Very sad
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 07:27 am
@revelette1,
Well, it's actually THE news here in Europe. And neo-Nazi parties and far right websites are jubilating.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 07:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
More on Trump's embrace of the far right.

Quote:
Earlier this month, Ms Fransen was charged with using "threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour" during speeches she made in Belfast.

She will appear at Belfast Magistrates' Court on Thursday 14 December.

Mr Trumps' decision to retweet the videos met dismay on social media.

TV presenter and journalist Piers Morgan, who has called himself a "friend" of the president, tweeted: "What the hell are you doing?"

"Please STOP this madness & undo your retweets", he said.

The Muslim Council for Britain called on the UK government to "distance" itself from the comments.

"This is the clearest endorsement yet from the US President of the far-right and their vile anti-Muslim propaganda," a spokeswoman said.

"We hope our prime minister and home secretary will distance the UK from Mr Trump and his comments, and will reiterate the government's abhorrence to all forms of extremism."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42166663
wmwcjr

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 08:00 am
@blatham,
Sickening. William Buckley would be appalled. No wonder my previously Republican wife says her party has died.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 08:02 am
@izzythepush,
The first video, btw, has been publish in Mayby the Dutch click-bait website Dumpert.
It isn't online anymore, because ... neither a Muslim nor a migrant was involved.

Verified on May 13 by local police according to the weblog GeenStijl ,and the newspaper De Telegraaf.

Today's report on GeenStijl

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/3qpEHyp.jpg

That happened in Monnikendam on a Friday. The other day, a 16-year-old Dutch boy from Edam-Volendam was arrested. He has been in juvenile court later.
Cycloptichorn

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 08:51 am
@Builder,
Not you, Jesus you're dense. The guy pushing the movement is Russian.

I really don't care what a poll says, there is no active movement to secede and you really don't have the foggiest clue about what you speak of. You're just trolling for kicks. Isn't that right?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
It was not immediately clear how the videos came to Trump's attention, but conservative columnist Ann Coulter retweeted one of them on Tuesday.
That's a very good possibility, Coulter being a doyen of right wing nastiness, misinformation and grift. But it is also possible that the two of them are just wired into the same ultra-right "information" networks.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:06 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
Sickening. William Buckley would be appalled. No wonder my previously Republican wife says her party has died.
Hi wm. I have sympathies for your wife and all other conservatives with principle. This must be wrenching.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:07 am
@hightor,
I read a scary article (where?) about the proliferation of conspiracy theorists or conspiracy players..
ah, I just saw your link to the Guardian: that's probably where I read it. Brrrrrr!
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:09 am
@Olivier5,
I think what he did was disgusting. I don’t think well of people who think it’s ok.

Woody Allen, himself, says he was a father figure to her.

Your attempt to whitewash just informs on you.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:17 am
@snood,
No, no, and no, but I would have answered Hell no! to each question if HRC had won.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:21 am
@blatham,
Useful post there, Bernie.
0 Replies