monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 09:39 pm
@hightor,
hightor, Republicans have no soul, your wasting your time trying go reason with them. They have no moral fiber, they are but White Supremacist and would justify holocaust for their own cause. This is minor stuff......
Lash

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 09:45 pm
@Olivier5,
Yes, she was.
thack45

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 09:53 pm
This piece from CNN, Donald Trump's secret? There is no secret, isn't particularly noteworthy, but there were a few recent nuggets all in one spot, so I felt like commenting on them...

Today Mr. Trump wrote on twitter:
Quote:
Meeting with 'Chuck and Nancy' today about keeping government open and working. Problem is they want illegal immigrants flooding into our Country unchecked, are weak on Crime and want to substantially RAISE Taxes. I don't see a deal!

Okay. Typical Trump being Trump–using combativeness to feign competence.

So then "Chuck and Nancy" responded:
Quote:
Given that the President doesn't see a deal between Democrats and the White House, we believe the best path forward is to continue negotiating with our Republican counterparts in Congress instead

That's some damned fine politickin'! If only the democrats could find more examples to publicly illustrate the president as being an obstructionist not only to them, but also toward republicans, and ultimately the US citizenry...

But that aside, Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan countered in a statement that democrats are
Quote:
putting government operations, particularly resources for our men and women on the battlefield, at great risk by pulling these antics.

Now that's the more standard political pandering we're used to. The kind that ought to give their supporters pause as to just how much regard people like Ryan and McConnell have for their intellect. But the fact is, you really can't argue with what they said. That is, unless you're the nitpicking type, and insist on clarifying who exactly are the ones "pulling these antics", and who are the ones simply responding to them.

Later in the day, Trump was asked if democrats would be to blame if the government shuts down:
Quote:
Well, if [a shutdown] happens, I would absolutely blame the Democrats," he said Tuesday afternoon. "If it happens, it's going to be over illegals pouring into the country, crime pouring into the country, no border wall -- which everybody wants.

I don't think there is a person on the planet that would be shocked to find that Trump would find somebody to blame for anything. But more importantly, I hope that one day someone will push the president to qualify who exactly he means when he says "everybody."

So then the article goes on to lay out a case for its title, something which many, many people are already well aware. But there was one more mention in there, about Trump referring to Elizabeth Warren as "Pocahontas"–in the presence of native Americans citizens, who served in the US military. Seriously. After I read that yesterday, I wondered if this guy isn't something other than simply obtuse and brazen, like maybe rather somewhere on the autism spectrum. Seriously.
ossobucotemp

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 10:01 pm
@BillW,
Finally I disagree with you, it's taken quite a while.

I presume you are exaggerating for effect. Nasty.
Or, I'm wrong and you are playing pianissimo.
BillW

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 10:07 pm
@ossobucotemp,
It's the republican in me . Let me point out to you that in 1928 no German would have agreed to a holocaust, it only takes a creator, a few generals and a blind following nationalistic movement. I wish for it to be stopped right here and now! BTW, my biggest fear is Bannon or maybe Steven Miller - and, the blind following, well, it looks real!
ossobucotemp

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 10:55 pm
@BillW,
Gotcha, sadly.
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:06 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
That guy is LITERALLY a ******* Russian

Indigenous Australian. Ol' mate Set reckons I'm a republican, but I've never been a tory voter in my life. I guess that makes the two of you as dumb as eachother. Congratulations.

Quote:
He has nothing to do with the people of CA at all, and there is no 'active attempt' to secede whatsoever.

Last time it went to polls, one in three voted yes, to "Calexit". The poll before that, in 2014, it was one in five. I guess you don't get the same news we get here.

Quote:
One in every three California residents supports the most populous U.S. state’s peaceful withdrawal from the union, according to a new Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll, many of them Democrats strongly opposed to Trump’s ascension to the country’s highest office.

The 32 percent support rate is sharply higher than the last time the poll asked Californians about secession, in 2014, when one-in-five or 20 percent favored it around the time Scotland held its independence referendum and voted to remain in the United Kingdom.

source
izzythepush

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:07 am
@blatham,
The class division is huge in America, wealth makes aristocrats not titles and you've got plenty of those who remove themselves from society and live in their gated communities.

In the 1970s Britain was the closest it's ever been to a meritocracy, working class lads like Andrew Neil rose to the top of the profession. That went into reverse under Thatcher which is one of the reasons Cameron's cabinet was the most public school dominated since the war.

The rich have always protected their wealth, they don't want a meritocracy they want everything nicely sewn up for their decendents in perpetuity.
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 03:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Re: ehBeth (Post 6546711)
Actually, Trump apologized for his comments to Billy Bush, but I'm sure that never registered with you.

"I sexually assaulted a bunch of women by grabbing their pussies. I would now like to apologize for talking about those assaults and using profane language in describing or bragging about those assaults"

Quote:
"I’ve said and done things I regret, and the words released today on this more than a decade old video are one of them," Trump said in the video statement.

"Anyone who knows me knows these words don’t reflect who I am. I said it, I was wrong and I apologize,” he said.
LINK HERE
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 03:45 am
Such a wonderful country, such inspiring times, so proud to be an American...
Quote:
More recently, Cori Langdon, a Las Vegas taxi driver who picked up survivors of the October massacre, became one of the prime targets for conspiracy theorists after she posted video from the scene. Her footage was stolen and republished across the internet and used as “proof” of a number of debunked claims, including the rumor that there was a second shooter.

Violent threats quickly filled Langdon’s inbox and populated the comment sections on YouTube and Facebook. People called her “queen of cunts” and “one of the dumbest ******* idiots”.

Others said she was “braindead”, “FAKE AS ****” and “******* stupid!”, with one writing: “They should bring this cab driver in for questioning.”

Guardian
izzythepush

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 03:51 am
Quote:
North Korea says it has successfully tested a new type of intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that can reach the whole of continental United States.

State television said Pyongyang had achieved its mission of becoming a nuclear state.

The Hwasong-15 missile, described as its "most powerful", was launched in darkness early on Wednesday.

It landed in Japanese waters but flew higher than any other missile the North had previously tested.

The test, which defied international sanctions imposed over the North's weapons programme, drew swift international condemnation, with the UN Security Council due to convene an emergency session.

South Korea responded by carrying out live-fire exercises, launching one of its own ballistic missiles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42162462
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 04:11 am
@thack45,
Quote:
I wondered if [Trump] isn't something other than simply obtuse and brazen, like maybe rather somewhere on the autism spectrum. Seriously.
There is something seriously wrong with him and that's obvious from the lying and bullying alone. But I think your autism notion misses the mark and the seriousness of what we're facing.
Quote:
Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by impaired social interaction, impaired verbal and non-verbal communication, and restricted and repetitive behavior. Parents usually notice signs in the first two years of their child's life.

You'd be much closer to the truth of things here if you entertained the notion that Trump is a sociopath or psychopath or, in line with modern DSM usage, antisocial personality disorder.
Quote:
To be diagnosed with ASP, a person must be at least 18 years old and have a history of aggression, rule-breaking, and deceit that dates back to their childhood. Here are some of the other red flags to watch out for, based on criteria listed in the DSM-V.
Symptoms:
Lack of empathy
Difficult relationships
Manipulativeness
Deceitfulness
Callousness
Hostility
Irresponsibility
Impuslsivity
Risky Behavior
http://www.health.com/mind-body/sociopath-traits

That's just one source. I invite everyone to read up on the antisocial personality disorder, sociopathy and psychopathy. Here's another which is clearly relevant in talking about Trump.
Quote:
The American Psychiatric Association (2013) describes and defines both Antisocial Personality Disorder (the clinical term for what is commonly called psychopathy or sociopathy) and narcissistic personality disorder in its authoritative Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition.

-Antisocial personality disorder is "a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, occurring since age 15 years"

-Narcissistic personality disorder is "a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning in early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts.

Those are separate definitions of these personality disorders. It is possible to be clinically diagnosed with both simultaneously. Cold callousness and lack of empathy for others, plus grandiose self-admiration and disdain for others equals a sociopathic narcissist who believes that she deserves to exploit people and dispose of them when finished.
LINK HERE

snood

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 04:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You and others ignored this question before, and I can understand why. You doubt my sincerity when I say I'm curious about what, and how you conservatives think, but this is something I really wonder...
Are you proud of this president? Do you admire him? Is he someone that you are glad to have represent you on the world stage?
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 04:22 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry, I didn't really lay out my argument or thesis very well. I didn't mean to suggest that English culture is inferior to or worse than the cultures of the US and Canada. Just that there are differences as regards how class is regarded (or how it is defined) as a consequence of differing national histories. But let's leave that for another time.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 04:26 am
@hightor,
Jesus. That's so awful. Now and again, despair comes banging at the door.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 04:48 am
@izzythepush,
This has not always been so. The Roosevelts are a prime example. Theodore Roosevelt, Sr. was the eldest son of a moderately affluent Knickerbocker (Dutch) family in New York. He married Martha Stewart Bullock of Georgia, a "society" match. Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., their eldest son, became the 26th President of the United States. At the outbreak of the American civil war his wife secured a promise from him that he would not join the army, although his political connections could easily have gotten him a commission. Mrs. Roosevelt was horrified at the thought that her husband would fight her brothers. So Roosevelt got together with other important and wealthy socialites, and they lobbied Congress, and an allotments bill was passed, whereby soldiers could send a part or all of their pay home, and the government would assume the cost rather than deducting it from their pay. He then spent the war traveling around the front lines to visit the well over one hundred New York regiments to convince soldiers to sign up for the allotments.

His son, Theodore, became a Republican not long after his father had died and he had graduated from Harvard. He was considered a radical, and his first effort in the New York Assembly was to reduce and fix the price of fares on the elevated railway in New York City, an important issue to working class men. He saw himself as a member of the party of Lincoln, and his duty as being in the service of the "common man." (They all had feet of clay, of course--he was a typical Lily White racist of that time, calling Margaret Sanger a "race traitor" for advocating the use of birth control by white women.) As president, he became known as the "trust buster," for going after cartels which he considered to be engaged in price-fixing. He desegregated the Federal civil service, precisely because the Republicans were, ostensibly, the party of Lincoln. (Not to worry, though--Woodrow Wilson, the Democrat and hero of the Paris Peace Accords, with his Fourteen Points, instituted segregation again in the Federal bureaucracy after white women complained about being obliged to work in the same offices as black women.) If not perfect, Roosevelt at least had followed the old American tradition that wealth and privilege imposed a responsibility to guard the interests of those who were neither wealthy nor powerful.

Franklin Roosevelt shared a common ancestor with Theodore, Jr. about five generations previously. He married Eleanor Roosevelt, the daughter of Theodore's younger brother. By the time he entered politics, the Republicans were discredited, although no more than the Democrats--both because of "machine" politics. Franklin became a Democrat, and he had the same attitude as his cousin, and his wife's uncle, Theodore. Wealth and privilege imposed a responsibility on his social class, and that responsibility was to all the people of the country. By that time, the idea was losing favor, and many wealthy Americans considered him a "traitor" to his class. FDR, though was related to a great many wealthy and powerful families (even to Winston Churchill, through their mothers--they were seventh cousins once removed), and he never failed to use his influence to advance his agenda.

Of course, the Roosevelts were arguably the last members of their social class to practice those principles. The Bush family, which based its wealth on a steel mill in Columbus, Ohio, have been linked to German industrialists who helped to finance the rise of the NSDAP. Prescott Bush, father to the first President Bush, and grandfather of the second, was a director of a company the assets of which were seized in 1942 under the trading with the enemy act. I'll let The Guardian tell that story.. I'm not calling either of the Presidents Bush Nazis, although I'm certain that the conservatives here will want to whine about that. But the attitudes of the Roosevelts and those of the Bush family, are a stark contrast.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 05:13 am
From Garrison Keillor
Quote:
“Any one who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.” - Voltaire

Quote:
The greatest absurdity of our time is You Know Whom, which goes without saying but I will anyway. What his election showed is that a considerable number of people, in order to demonstrate their frustration with the world as it is, are willing to drive their car, with their children in the back seat, over a cliff, smash the radiator, bust an axle and walk away feeling good about themselves. No other president in modern times has been held in contempt by a preponderance of people from the moment he said, “So help me, God.” The playboy blather, the smirk of privilege, the stunning contempt for factual truth — how can the country come together when the president has nothing in common with 98 percent of the rest of us?

And then there is Sen. Al Franken. He did USO tours overseas when he was in the comedy biz. He did it from deep in his heart, out of patriotism, and the show he did was broad comedy of a sort that goes back to the Middle Ages. Shakespeare used those jokes now and then, and so did Bob Hope and Joey Heatherton when they entertained the troops. If you thought that Al stood outdoors at bases in Iraq and Afghanistan and told stories about small-town life in the Midwest, you were wrong. On the flight home, in a spirit of low comedy, Al ogled Miss Tweeden and pretended to grab her and a picture was taken. Eleven years later, a talk show host in LA, she goes public, and there is talk of resignation. This is pure absurdity, and the atrocity it leads to is a code of public deadliness. No kidding.

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 05:28 am
And this is the douchebag who heads up the FCC
Quote:
Trump’s FCC chairman says Twitter banning Nazis is an attack on the conservative movement

According to Pai, “Edge providers” like Google and Facebook pose a much bigger threat to a free, open internet then the FCC’s planned repeal of net neutrality, because they discriminate against differing viewpoints. He singled out Twitter, claiming that the company had a “double-standard when it comes to suspending or de-verifying conservative users’ accounts as opposed to those of liberal users.”

But the unspecified “conservatives” that Pai was referring to weren’t conservatives at all — they were neo-Nazis and white supremacists, to whom Twitter finally got around to banning and de-verifying on November 16, following a storm of criticism
TP
Olivier5

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 05:29 am
@Lash,
So you think she belongs in jail?
snood

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 05:36 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

So you think she belongs in jail?

That probably wouldn't be severe enough of a punishment for miss Lash.
For Hillary, I'm thinking she'd prefer a public walk of shame and excoriation, then a hanging.