monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 04:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Oh give me a break!

They are both trying to weasel out of the charges.

But you've revealed yourself the partisan I expected from many here.

You give me a break. Seriously, what do you want me to defend them of?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 04:47 pm
Re the California diversion, I know the place, lived there 51 years. Seceding will not happen.

Re Trump, I haven't checked out what he is doing today, sometimes one needs a break.

Re Builder, I tend not to read him unless he is talking about food.

Re Finn and Blatham's discussion, Blatham has it.
blatham

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:03 pm
Quote:
Trump’s ethics lawyer exits the White House
Benen

For the life of me, I can't imagine why he made this decision.
blatham

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:04 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Re Finn and Blatham's discussion, Blatham has it.
Sure, but he has won every prior argument we've ever had.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:46 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Trump’s ethics lawyer exits the White House
Benen

For the life of me, I can't imagine why he made this decision.

Easiest job in the world because tRump has no ethics and he touts this fact....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
OMG!

You people are astounding.

He's denied the worst of it; "not remembering" grabbing asses. All he has admitted to is perhaps making women feel badly.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:51 pm
@blatham,
#1 - I suggest the victim gets a say in that.

#2 - Do you really think Franken and Conyers have sincerely apologized?

#3 Agreed - that's Clinton 101
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Actually, Trump apologized for his comments to Billy Bush, but I'm sure that never registered with you.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think when asked 'can you tell us that nobody else out there will say you've grabbed their ass?,' he said 'no, I can't tell you that.' That doesn't sound like much of a denial.

I don't even know why Franken is being brought up, as if he's somehow an equivalent to Moore, Weinstein or other predators. Is there evidence that he used his position of power to coerce women into sexual situations? Not that I've seen. Has he always been a saint, personally? Clearly not. But that doesn't make him some sort of predator or serial assaulter of women or someone who should be forced out of office. It's similar to the TX Republican who is now in hot water for some reason because he's sent some dick pics via texts. Who gives a ****? It's not evidence of predation or abuse.

But hey I get why you're pushing this angle, gotta try and get traction somewhere eh? Gotta try and show that the Dems are as bad as Moore somehow, right?

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Actually, Trump apologized for his comments to Billy Bush, but I'm sure that never registered with you.

That's funny, he's now running around telling people that the tape is a fake.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 06:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
' I apologize if someone was offended' isn't an apology in any case.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-statement-audio-bill-clinton-women-2016-10

Quote:
"Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course — not even close. I apologize if anyone was offended."

**** that bullshit

apologize for what you did. don't apologize that someone might be offended by what you said.

that doesn't fly
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 06:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
#1. yes
#2. I haven't followed the Conyers case at all. As to Franken, yes.
#3. True of Clinton, yes.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 06:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I think we all understand why the Franken story is being pushed by the right wing media. He's one of the most effective and hard working senators and has been from the beginning. He was also very popular, though that's taken a hit. And he was, at least potentially, on a future Dem presidential ticket.
blatham

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 06:36 pm
Quote:
The latest conservative scam got exposed. But it’s just one piece of a much bigger fraud.

If you’re a Republican voter, I have some bad news for you. The people who lead the movement that supposedly represents your views — the politicians, the media figures, the activists — think you’re an idiot. In fact, they count on it.

That’s the real meaning of an extraordinary story The Post has published, about an effort by well-known right-wing fraudster James O’Keefe and his organization Project Veritas to entrap this newspaper into publishing a false story about Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, with the obvious intention of using that to discredit the well-documented allegations that Moore preyed on teenage girls when he was in his 30s.

This is much larger than O’Keefe or this one Senate race. It’s about a poison of exploitation and deceit that courses through the conservative movement. Some conservatives have tried to expunge this poison, without success. If anything, the scam has gotten even more pervasive and influential.
Paul Waldman

I've mentioned this before but for those who missed it, one of the best things you can read about the corruption and degradation of the American right by thousands of grifters is historian Rick Perlstein's The Long Con

Waldman references the above in his column for good reason. This is really essential knowledge in helping to understand the present situation in US politics.

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 07:21 pm
Interesting timeline here
Quote:
Will Saletan‏Verified account
@saletan
Nov. 9: WP reports Moore accusations.
Nov. 10: Project Veritas agent emails WP to offer bait.
Nov. 11: Moore says: “There are investigations going on. In the next few days, there will be revelations about the motivations and the content of this article.”

What did Roy Moore know?
BillW

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 07:29 pm
@blatham,
They are oh so corrupt! If you lay down with pigs, you are a pig. And, I apologise to the pigs for comparing them to a Republican.....
snood

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 07:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And now he's saying the video was fake. The scary thing about that is, he probably believes his own latest lie. No matter though - he can always depend on stalwarts like you to rationalize whatever.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 07:46 pm
Brian Beutler sees the future and it isn't good.
Quote:
BREITBART’S COMING EXPLOITATION OF THE BELIEVE WOMEN MOVEMENT
Link Here

And yes, this is going to happen.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 07:47 pm
@BillW,
Yes.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 28 Nov, 2017 09:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You people are astounding.

Honestly, Finn, boorish horseplay is not equivalent to the sort of brutish intimidation and Weinsteinian extortion which characterizes assault or abuse. I've seen worse at company X-mas parties. I get a kick out of the righteous right's sudden support for women's claim to sovereignty over their own bodies. You people are astounding.
Quote:
He's denied the worst of it; "not remembering" grabbing asses.

If that's the "worst of it" (context required) I guess a sincere apology and good works will go a long way toward eventual rehabilitation and re-admittance into the human community. He might even get a break for not using the "my favorite magician" line at the time of the alleged crimes.

As far as Moore goes, let's say an anti-rightist politician with good environmental credentials were revealed to have had similar predilections 30 or 40 years ago. If the offensive behavior had long ceased, if sincere apologies had been proffered and accepted, and if the individual hadn't made a career of proselytizing for fundamentalist Christian causes and condemning fags, yeah I might give him a chance. Assuming that Mitch McConnell is right and the accusations are true I think Moore missed the chance to man up to the charges and apologize to the victims and to the voters. If he's elected Alabama will get the senator it deserves.