@hightor,
Lash (Post 6545230)
Quote:

Quote:
Whistle blowers like Julian Assange

hightor replied
Quote:
Hmm...not exactly an unbiased source.

There you go again, with the personal opinion posted as fact.

Wikileaks thoroughly researches and cross-references, and has yet to be proven to be fake news. Nice try, but again, no banana for hightor.

Assange sums up the current media circus rather aptly in this interview.

Quote:
The Wikileaks founder is scathing about the "weaponised text" of the global news media, but when it comes to fake news and scandal, Julian Assange has a different view.

by
Claire Reilly

February 19, 2017 9:48 PM PST
Quote:
WikiLeaks is very happy that there is a narrative about fake news out there because we have a perfect record of having never got it wrong in terms of authentications.

On the accuracy of the Podesta emails

"We had lots of critics in the Democratic Party, liars in the Democratic Party... saying that what we published was not accurate -- trying to imitate it, sometimes saying it directly. And of course we could mathematically prove that they were liars. And it's not every day that you can mathematically prove that your critics are full of it."

On Australia

"Australia doesn't really exist as a state... It doesn't have its own land, it doesn't have its own language, it doesn't have its own foreign policy."

On Wikileaks' Twitter account

"You can blame me for anything that's there -- I'm the editor."

Now, find something Assange has released, that has been proven to be false.

BillW

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 05:11 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Quote:
And once again, consider how incredibly stupid he presumes his supporters are.

The biggest problem is - They are!

and,
Quote:
Trump's Big Lie is that he doesn't lie.

That is the biggest truth that is killing the USA today!
hightor

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:01 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
...with the personal opinion posted as fact.

I believe that he has a self-serving agenda.

Here are two articles which reinforce my low opinion of Assange:

Julian Assange, a Man Without a Country

The Nihilism of Julian Assange

Builder wrote:
Wikileaks thoroughly researches and cross-references, and has yet to be proven to be fake news.

Yeah, okay. But no one's disputing the authenticity of the leaked material. Information can be weaponized in other ways; a release of an embarrassing exchange of e-mails at the right time can derail legislation or delegitimatize a leader.

Assange wrote:
We had lots of critics in the Democratic Party, liars in the Democratic Party... saying that what we published was not accurate -- trying to imitate (intimate) it, sometimes saying it directly.

None of the criticism of WikiLeaks that I've seen has ever charged that the leaked e-mails themselves were fake or inaccurate.

BillW

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:09 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

blatham wrote:
Quote:
Trump's Big Lie is that he doesn't lie.

That is the biggest truth that is killing the USA today!

Actually, I'm hard put to identify a time he told the truth!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 09:10 pm
@hightor,
Oh how the worm has turned

https://able2know.org/topic/164540-1

Quote:
- and the truth shall set you free.

Quote:
We need a wikileaks in ALL countries.

Quote:
But I'm still more for Assange than against him.

Quote:
I see Wikileaks and Assange as a modern "Robin Hood" so to speak

Quote:
There's too much secrecy in the world on the part of governments as it is.... letting a little sunshine in is rarely a harmful thing.

Quote:
Or simply because we have the right to have access to such information?
Why shouldn't we know what or our elected governments are actually doing?
Surely it is in the best interests of democracy for us to know?:

Quote:
Who is harmed, or embarrassed, by us knowing?:

Quote:

personally as an Australian I am extremely proud of him for having the guts to stand-up to such an arrogant, two faced regime…. The failed super power the world would be better off without; of course this is the opinion of all my friends and I, all true blue Australians.

And on and on and on...
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 11:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I linked that report from The Intercept already earlier:
Julian Assange’s Hatred of Hillary Clinton Was No Secret. His Advice to Donald Trump Was.
Quote:
WHILE WIKILEAKS HAS undoubtedly facilitated the release of information that is both true and important, it is Assange’s Trump-like willingness to traffic in such unsubstantiated rumors, conspiracy theories, and innuendo not supported by evidence that undermines his claim to be a disinterested publisher, not a political operative.

This willingness to traffic in false or misleading information was very much in evidence during his work on behalf of Trump, and it is a consistent feature of Assange’s advocacy for other people and causes.
Builder

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 12:57 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I believe that he has a self-serving agenda.

What does ego and nhilism have to do with his factual research?

You seem to have caught the local "bug" here, in attacking the messenger, instead of the message.

Quote:
Here are two articles which reinforce my low opinion of Assange:

Both journalists are interesting and well-researched people, but may also be cashing in on Assange's global popularity. Without reading both tomes, I'm not willing to comment on the content.

I see Finn found a post of yours where you're glowing in your praise of Julian, almost to the point of adulation.

When did your feelings about him do a complete turtle-turn?
blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I had not read that before. Thanks!
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:31 am
Quote:
Carl Miller‏
@carljackmiller
Here’s a quick throwback. ‘Trump will not be permitted to win’ says Assange. Banks, big business, corporate media, would all conspire to make it literally impossible. https://youtu.be/JQ7lYRnF1F8

So, either Julian's omniscient grasp of power structures is way off or he was lying.
Builder

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:40 am
@blatham,
Quote:
So, either Julian's omniscient grasp of power structures is way off or he was lying.

Then so were all the exit polls lying, mister. Nobody saw this coming, and over a year later, the butthurt continues right across the board.

Why single out Assange for "lying" about it?

You'd have to say that about all of the other pundits who got their numbers so very wrong that day, right?
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:54 am
@Builder,
You seem to have the habit of (purposefully?) misreading my posts.
Builder wrote:
What does ego and nhilism have to do with his factual research?

You didn't see where I said this?
hightor wrote:
But no one's disputing the authenticity of the leaked material.

and
hightor wrote:
None of the criticism of WikiLeaks that I've seen has ever charged that the leaked e-mails themselves were fake or inaccurate.

Builder wrote:
I see Finn found a post of yours where you're glowing in your praise of Julian, almost to the point of adulation.

Except that's not a "post of mine" nor did I contribute anything to it. I never cared for Manning or Snowden either.
izzythepush

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:04 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Exactly, don't expect that to change any time soon.

Builder wants to divert attention away from Trump, that's all he wants to do and he will use all manner of sneaky, underhand and diversionary tactics to do so.

Keep on topic, and don't let him lead you up any more blind alleys.
hightor

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
People have been known to revise their former opinions over time.

I didn't post anything in that thread but I think I was somewhat skeptical of Assange's mission when he first showed up on the scene. I thought that the idea was good in theory but that it could end up making governments more secretive in the future.
Builder

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:15 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Keep on topic, and don't let him lead you up any more blind alleys.

That's hilarious, coming from you, Hissy. Some of those BBC posts of yours aren't even remotely connected with this topic.
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:24 am
@hightor,
Quote:

This a key part of you MO. That, and making statements without evidence of any kind.

And if "nobody is disputing the evidence Assange presented", then why are you posting the books of two authors attempting to discredit him> ??
hightor

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:33 am
@Builder,
Did you really not see where I said this?
hightor wrote:
Information can be weaponized in other ways; a release of an embarrassing exchange of e-mails at the right time can derail legislation or delegitimatize a leader.

The "evidence" is not in dispute. If it were falsified in any way it would be easy to dismiss. The criticism of Assange is based on how he releases the information and for what purposes.
Quote:
That, and making statements without evidence of any kind.

I don't need to supply evidence every time I state an opinion. Anyone is free to ask me to supply evidence or ignore my post completely.
blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:34 am
Rather off topic but... here's the title to a thread someone just started (now deleted). It's one of the most remarkable examples of English usage I've seen in a while.
Quote:
Strategies At A Happy Weight Injury Plan
hightor

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:35 am
@blatham,
Damn — it's gone — and I was going to order some of the stuff too.
hightor

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:44 am
A 'classical' conservative analysis:

The Tragedy of Liberalism
Patrick J. Deneen

Quote:
(...) The insistent demand that we choose between protection of individual liberty and expansion of the state’s efforts to redress injustices masks the reality that the two grow constantly and necessarily together: Statism enables individualism; individualism demands statism. The creation of the autonomous individual, that imaginary creature of Hobbes and Locke, in fact requires the expansive apparatus of the state and its creation, the universal market, to bring it into existence. And, as Tocqueville predicted, once liberated, the individual no longer has reliable personal networks to which to turn for assistance, and instead looks for the assistance of the state, which grows further to meet these insistent demands.
(...)
Liberalism is failing not because it fell short but because it was true to itself. Liberalism is failing because liberalism succeeded. As liberalism has “become more fully itself,” as its inner logic has become more evident and its self-contradictions manifest, it has generated pathologies that are at once deformations of its claims and realizations of liberal ideology.
(...)
In effect, this immorality tale is the Hobbesian vision in microcosm: First, tradition and culture must be eliminated as arbitrary and unjust (“natural man”). Then, we see that absent such norms, anarchy is the result (“the state of nature”). Finding such anarchy unbearable, we turn to a central sovereign as our sole protector, that “Mortall God” who will protect us from ourselves (“the social contract”). We have been liberated from all custom and tradition, all authority that sought to educate by habit and within the context of ongoing communities, and have replaced it with a central authority that punishes wrongdoers who abuse their freedoms. And, now lacking any informal and local forms of authority, we are virtually assured that those abuses will regularly occur, and that the role of the state in ever more intimate personal affairs will increase (“prerogative”).

The Hedgehog Review
0 Replies