monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Builder

Sat 25 Nov, 2017 07:35 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I couldn’t figure it out.

It really is deep state, but only because investigative journalists end up in a deep trench if they try and expose it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 25 Nov, 2017 09:48 pm
@Blickers,
Hey, I can't help that you're ignorant beyond what the Democratic Establishment tells you.
Blickers

Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Democratic Establishment doesn't really tell me anything. You and I grew up at the same time in the same place, when the country was locked in a struggle with totalitarian Russia-a struggle the US won-and now I see a Quisling in the White House giving it all back because Putin's got all the info on Trump's illegal dealings with Russia. You've been poo-pooing all the evidence as a non-story since the story broke, and you're doing it now.

I expect you will continue to do it for as long as possible, but events seem to be overtaking you.
Builder

Sat 25 Nov, 2017 11:38 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
.....when the country was locked in a struggle with totalitarian Russia-a struggle the US won....

You left out quite a few details there, Blinkers.

The US recruited, radicalised, trained, and armed a covert fighting force of the worst Muslim crazies they could find, to win the cold war for them in Afghanistan, and then left them to their own devices.

That was the birth of one of the worst periods in recent history for that nation, and it spawned a near-global entity that is at the heart of much of the current conflict in the middle east, northern Africa, even as far away as Indonesia.

Much like the invasion of Iraq, Libya, and the covert takeover of Iran, it has had far-reaching negative effects, at the cost of millions of innocent lives.

You can continue to imagine that Russia is the bad guy in this scenario, but the only place that is a reality, is in your own mind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 01:04 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Well if she's [Lash] going to post the same themes that all the Russian trolls are posting on YouTube, speculation will arise in that direction. I have no idea if she is knowingly posting Russian propaganda or just picking it up secondhand from some right wing websites, but clearly that is source of her talking points.

Amen, amen, amen.
blatham

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 05:20 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'd agree that this might be a factor re MeToo if regular/ongoing/normalized sexual harassment wasn't something women have talked about in kaffeeklatsches/locker rooms/knitting circles/book clubs as far back as I can recall.
I do understand. This change of perception and values - and male behavior - is long overdue. But as I tried to express, I have two concerns that remain even if we presume that the great majority of claims of assault or abuse will be factual. The more acute is political weaponization of this issue and the other is the malleability of the human mind. When a social issue/injustice like this reaches a tipping point in community consensus and change shifts from someone here and another there to an avalanche, mistakes are going to get made. An irony here is that it is precisely because women's complaints are countless and nearly certain to be valid and because the injustices of sexism are so profound and because most of us know that this current and unexpected paradigm shift really must be celebrated and strengthened that we are more likely to make mistakes of enthusiasm.

Two factors have led me to the concerns I'm voicing. The first is Franken and Moore. We've already seen how many in the GOP and almost all of right wing media are going to weaponize this matter. Differences of severity, of credibility, and of consistency in principle are going to be steamrolled for political advantage. Real concern for women will be minor or absent and as people see the same game being played again, this could be the biggest threat to the movement remaining robust and effective.

The other factor was a personal experience. I don't think I've related this before but this seems like the proper time and place. When I was doing my teaching practicum with two classes of grades 5, 6, and 7 on an afternoon of a pro-development day (teachers only at the school and kids had the day off) some boys in one of my classes phoned one or more girls in the classes, claimed they were student-teacher Mr Latham and then said (I presume) some sexual stuff.

The next morning, the police were at the school along with provincial and local education officials. I finally was told the outlines of what was going on, and was ordered leave the school immediately. The investigation by the cops and officials turned up the phone call and that I was with other teachers when it was made (and perhaps some kids admitted calling) they ended that investigation. Before the officials left, another teacher at the school inquired, "Now how do we go about clearing this teacher's name?" The response (from an official tasked with protecting children) was, "We aren't in the business of clearing teachers' names". And I was never allowed back in that school again.

So, I know that mistakes can be made and though the movement is necessary and just, we need to this stuff in mind.

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 05:22 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Who will win [the Time cover]? I don't know but I would nominate Investigative Journalists.

Hell of a fine idea.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 05:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If you vanilla Lefties ever spent time checking out the uber-Leftie sites you would find they complain about the Deep State more than righties.
Really? Name three. Then we'll take those three and compare with just Breitbart standing by itself. You can bring up Chomsky if you like but the chances you've read 1/20th or 1/50th of the Chomsky I've read will be zero.
blatham

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 05:35 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Quote Finn:
Quote:
You prefer to chalk it up to paranoia while gleefully going on about Lash as a Russian Operative.

Has anyone here made that charge? Ever? I certainly haven't. The likelihood of that being true are infinitestimal.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 05:42 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Quote:
Blickers wrote:
Well if she's [Lash] going to post the same themes that all the Russian trolls are posting on YouTube, speculation will arise in that direction. I have no idea if she is knowingly posting Russian propaganda or just picking it up secondhand from some right wing websites, but clearly that is source of her talking points.

Amen, amen, amen.

I suppose what I'd say here is that it seems incredibly unlikely (I certainly don't believe it) that she is knowingly forwarding Russian propaganda but rather that there is substantial overlap between Russian-sourced propaganda and modern US right wing ideas and talking points. How that has come about is a separate matter but it is the case.
blatham

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 06:50 am
Quote:
But while Trump presents MagaPill as the antidote to “fake news,” the site regularly traffics in unhinged conspiracy theories. Just a few hours before being endorsed by Trump, MagaPill posted a video from Liz Cronkin, a fringe figure best known for pushing the Pizzagate conspiracy. In the video, Cronkin claims there is a sex tape of Hillary Clinton with an underage girl on Anthony Weiner’s laptop.
TP
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:14 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Sometimes David really proves he is his mother's son. She was wicked sly.
Between the present and the period when he was working in the Bush administration and collaborating with uber-hawk Richard Perle, David has matured a lot. He was booted out of the AEI (where he'd been ensconced for seven years) in 2010 for insufficient partisanship.

But yeah, his mother was a treasure. I recall a show she did with three high profile feminists (Betty friedan, Steinem and one other, if I recall correctly). Her very first question to them was, "OK, ladies. Are women better than men?"
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:16 am
@blatham,
So yesterday she posts:
Lash wrote:
Btw, The Lolita Express is trending on Twitter.

The fact that something is "trending on Twitter" says nothing about the veracity of the story. Electronic gossip isn't somehow verified as factual by the number of people sharing the story and commenting on it.
blatham wrote:
...there is substantial overlap between Russian-sourced propaganda and modern US right wing ideas and talking points.

The Epstein/Clinton story was printed in May of last year by RT and it goes back farther than that. Nothing new here, folks. And given the likelihood that eight million children will be dropped from the Children's Health Insurance Program it's puzzling that so much attention is being paid to what's essentially old fake news. I guess the health of kids in poverty isn't a big concern.
Lash

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:25 am
@blatham,
This is what I read.

Chomsky. Blatham stopped paying attention to Chomsky when Chomsky started agreeing with me and Bernie Sanders, and started truth-telling on the Clintons and the Democrat establishment.
Here’s what Chomsky has to say about Blatham, his stupid yapping dog, and this thread.
https://truththeory.com/2017/07/28/chomsky-trump-distraction-used-deep-state-systematically-destroy-america/

http://www.truth-out.org
http://www.truth-out.org/progressivepicks/item/34912-illicit-surveillance-and-the-deep-state-an-interview-with-mike-lofgren

https://www.truthdig.com/tag/deep-state/

Billmoyers.com
http://billmoyers.com/story/why-bernies-right-about-glass-

https://www.counterpunch.org
You should be reading this.

DemocracyNow! Amy Goodman
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/5/10/greenwald_hillary_is_to_blame_for
She was one of the few journalists who dared to call Obama out for allowing the #nodapl activists to be attacked by militaristic squads

The Intercept, and Glenn Greenwald, particularly

Whistle blowers like Julian Assange

I’ve noticed TheNation has increased titles about Trump since progressive outlets began to be attacked with censorship from Google and Facebook. Not sure how far they’ll bend over.
https://www.thenation.com

I can go on...

Lash

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:28 am
@hightor,
When I say something is trending on Twitter, that is all I’m communicating. It shows interest of a lot of people. That, in itself, is a statement—not a conclusion about the story trending.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:30 am
@Blickers,
Wrong, as usual.

My reading material is from progressive sites.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:32 am
Tools.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:35 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 6545185)
So yesterday she posts:
Lash wrote:
Quote:
Btw, The Lolita Express is trending on Twitter.

Yeah. That hashtag is bursting with right wing nuttiness re Clinton, particularly (though the old right wing demon, "Hollywood", is being rolled up in here as well). It's the world Lash has and continues to live in.
Quote:
And given the likelihood that eight million children will be dropped from the Children's Health Insurance Program it's puzzling that so much attention is being paid to what's essentially old fake news. I guess the health of kids in poverty isn't a big concern.

Michael Gerson's last column was as searing an indictment as I've seen of the corruption and moral degradation of the "family values" leaders and movement.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:39 am
Now, this is very funny

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPfEeImXUAEBsqw.jpg
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:44 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Whistle blowers like Julian Assange

Hmm...not exactly an unbiased source.

I think it would be more helpful to link to individual stories rather than sites like Counterpunch which post stories from many contributors, some above board, some not.

While I respect Noam Chomsky I don't happen to accept every single thing he says. I think the Russian connection to the '16 election is worth investigating. Along with many other problems.

Quote:

My reading material is from progressive sites.

Well, lah-dee-da!