monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 04:13 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
I suppose any state, on it's own, can decide what its pollution standard is. But I have to wonder if there might not be some opposition to states pledging loyalty to the Paris Climate Agreement on Constitutional grounds.

c/Conservatives/Republicans are going to have a bit of difficulty fighting this as the tea party faction is quite invested in states' rights.

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/john-becker/press/the-founding-fathers-understood-the-importance-of-states-rights

http://thecollegeconservative.com/2014/10/21/the-importance-of-states-rights/

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2011/1/2/932988/-

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2012/02/whats-the-tea-party-loves-the-10th-amendment.html
ehBeth

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 04:47 pm
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/11/frank-rich-trumpism-after-trump.html

it's a long read but yanno Frank Rich - lots of interesting stuff packed in there

<snip>

Quote:
The toxic anger that defines Trumpism — a rage at America’s cultural and economic elites in both political parties as well as at minorities and immigrants — will only grow darker and fiercer once its namesake leaves office, no matter how he does so. If Trump departs involuntarily, his followers will elevate him to martyrdom as the victim of a coup perpetrated by the scoundrels of “fake news” and “the swamp.” If Trump serves one or two full terms, his base will still be livid because he will not have bestowed the lavish gifts he promised, from a Rust Belt manufacturing comeback to a border wall. His voters won’t pin these failures on Trump but on the same swamp creatures they’ll hold responsible if he’s run out of office. They’re already blaming the cratering of “repeal and replace” and other broken Trump promises on what Bannon and his allies call “the McConnell-industrial complex.”

Right-wing nationalist populism is nothing new in America; the genealogical lines of Trump and his immediate antecedents, Sarah Palin and the tea party, trace back at least to the later years of the Great Depression, when the demagogic and anti-Semitic radio priest Father Charles Coughlin turned against the New Deal and vilified Jewish “money changers” masterminding an international conspiracy to plunder his working-class flock. The movement was rebooted with a vengeance once the civil-rights revolution took hold in the 1960s: The term “backlash” grew out of the economic columnist Eliot Janeway’s 1963 observation that white blue-collar workers might “lash back” at new black competitors entering a contracting job market. That anger coursed through the quixotic presidential campaigns of the onetime Nixon aide Pat Buchanan from 1992 to 2000, through Ross Perot’s in 1992, and, most especially, through the four presidential runs of the segregationist Alabama governor George Wallace between 1964 and 1976.

What these campaigns had in common besides a similar core of grievances is that the candidates failed to win national elections. And they lost no matter what banner they ran under; like Trump, they and their voters variously identified as Democrats, Republicans, and Independents. But Trump’s unexpected triumph in 2016, claiming the Oval Office for unabashedly nationalist right-wing populism, changed history’s trajectory. His capture of the presidency and a major political party makes it highly unlikely that his adherents will now follow the pattern of their dejected forebears, who retreated to lick their wounds and regroup in the shadows after their electoral defeats.

When Jeff Flake, the self-styled Barry Goldwater conservative from Arizona, announced he was fleeing the Senate, he told Jake Tapper of CNN, “I think that this fever will break.” If only. At each defeat in the pre-Trump history of Trumpism, the rest of the country comforted itself by concluding that this troublesome minority had been vanquished. But these radicals are not some aberrational fringe. The swath of America that has now been reinvigorated and empowered by landing a tribune in the White House for the first time is a permanent mass movement that has remained stable in size and fixed in its beliefs for more than half a century. How large a mass? At the high end, Trumpists amount to the third or so of the country that has never wavered in support of the Trump presidency. A low-end estimate might bottom out at the quarter of the nation that still approved of Trump’s hero Nixon even when he surrendered the presidency rather than face near-certain conviction in an impeachment trial.

Now that Trumpists have tasted real Executive-branch power, they are ravenous for more. Laura Ingraham, Rupert Murdoch’s new all-in Trump host at Fox News, pointedly told the New York Times on the eve of her prime-time show’s premiere last month that while Trump is “invaluable” as “the titular head of the movement,” Trumpism “is about the movement.” Bannon has called Trump “a blunt instrument for us.” Finer-tooled instruments — smarter and shrewder demagogues than the movement’s current titular head — may already be suiting up in the wings.

<snip>

Quote:
The idea that the pre-Trump GOP will make a post-Trump comeback to vanquish these forces is laughable. Old-line Establishment Republicans in the Senate and the House, even very conservative ones like Flake, are engaging in self-deportation, as Mitt Romney might say, rather than face a firing squad in the primaries. The Trumpists will with time expunge the rest, including Paul Ryan (whom Bannon has dismissed as “a limp-dick ************ who was born in a petri dish at the Heritage Foundation,” according to Joshua Green in The Devil’s Bargain). It’s a replay of the purge of the 1960s, when the reinvented GOP shaped by Goldwater, Nixon, and the “southern strategy” shoved aside the likes of Nelson Rockefeller and George Romney. Given that 89 percent of Republicans voted for Trump in November and that 80 percent of today’s GOP voters reliably give Trump favorable approval ratings no matter what he has said or done since, that means only a fifth of those Americans identifying as Republicans are (possibly) “Never Trumpers.” Ta-Nehisi Coates had it exactly right when he observed that while “not every Trump voter is a white supremacist” — “white supremacist” being today’s term of art for Wallace’s segregationists — “every Trump voter felt it acceptable to hand the fate of the country over to one.” That’s the GOP brand.

<snip>

Quote:
However common the ground of Democrats and Trumpists when it comes to economic populism, they will still be separated by the Trumpists’ adamant nativism, nationalism, and racism. The liberal elites who continue to argue that Democrats can win by meeting Trump voters halfway don’t seem to realize that those intransigent voters have long been hardwired to despise them. William Rusher, the publisher of National Review who tracked Wallace with admiration in the 1970s, presciently envisioned a GOP that allied workers and the party’s corporate donors against what he called “a new class” of “essentially nonproductive” Americans like academics, the news media, and government workers. That’s the exact Trump–Fox News–Breitbart culture war we have today.

The Democrats’ growing demographic advantages mean nothing if their voters stay home. Those who didn’t vote in 2016 have to be given a reason to turn out in 2020 with the same fervor that Trump instilled in rural white Trumpists. The party might have to fight celebrity with celebrity. The novelty polls favoring the fantasy candidacies of Oprah Winfrey and Dwayne Johnson shouldn’t be dismissed as a joke. After Trump, no one can question a show-business star’s qualifications (or almost anyone’s) to be president; some of them could deliver a political message with more conviction than the professional politicians in either party. And the Democrats may well have to fight anger with anger.

<snip>

Quote:
Looking to the future in his 60 Minutes White House exit interview, Bannon said, “The only question before us” is whether it “is going to be a left-wing populism or a right-wing populism.” And that is the question, he added, “that will be answered in 2020.” Give the devil his due: He does have the question right. But there is every reason to fear that our unending civil war will not be resolved by any election anytime soon in the destabilized America that Trump will leave behind.
ehBeth

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 04:50 pm
hehehehe

it starts to feel personal when my posts reviewing c/Conservative strengths are thumbed down

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I get to be a snot, since my drink of choice, aside from coffee and the odd bourbon or almond milk (I know, almonds another story), because I like the San Pellegrino water. Better, I like the mineral water Gerolsteinger. It ain't anywhere in my neighborhood. Better minerals though, if I run into it across town.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes. I still worry, wait and see.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:40 pm
@Setanta,
Haiti would be quite tough to go back to, last I read.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 07:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks.

0 Replies

Builder

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 12:07 am
@ehBeth,
Not sure if I find this amusing, or highly disturbing.

Quote:
The Democrats’ growing demographic advantages mean nothing if their voters stay home. Those who didn’t vote in 2016 have to be given a reason to turn out in 2020 with the same fervor that Trump instilled in rural white Trumpists. The party might have to fight celebrity with celebrity. The novelty polls favoring the fantasy candidacies of Oprah Winfrey and Dwayne Johnson shouldn’t be dismissed as a joke. After Trump, no one can question a show-business star’s qualifications (or almost anyone’s) to be president; some of them could deliver a political message with more conviction than the professional politicians in either party. And the Democrats may well have to fight anger with anger.
Blickers

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 12:26 am
@ehBeth,
Quote ehBeth:
Quote:
c/Conservatives/Republicans are going to have a bit of difficulty fighting this as the tea party faction is quite invested in states' rights.

The conservatives are invested in states rights, but when 20 states say that they will all follow the Paris Climate standards which the US as a whole withdrew from, the case could be made that the 20 states are making a Treaty with foreign powers. And the Constitution says they cannot do that, only the Federal government can make Treaties with foreign powers.

Quote:
Section 10
1: No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

ArticleII, Section 2:
Quote:
2: He [the President] shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur;

I personally favor following the Paris Climate agreement, but I think it's quite possible that what the states are doing might be found unconstitutional.
Setanta

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 02:57 am
The Paris Accord was not adopted by treaty, so your thesis is false. If it had been a treaty, it would have required two-thirds of the Senate to rescind it, and that did not and would not happen. It helps to inform oneself before making pronouncements on what is or is not constitutional.
snood

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 03:34 am
They're still doing it, and I really don't understand why. Maybe some of you can help me understand why. Those whose job it is to make commentary on the politics of the day have been doing this since that dark day when the orange disgrace descended the escalator.

What is that thing? Well, whatever dumb, mean-spirited, impulsive, petty, (excuse me) asshole thing that the cheeto cretin says or does, the political "journalists" immediately start asking a bunch of useless questions. Questions like, 'Why do you think he's doing this?', or "What is his motive?', or 'What is his strategy?', or 'What do you think he was thinking?'.

He's an (excuse me again) asshole. He exists to promote himself and get financial gain by whatever means - up to, and including selling out his country, He has never exhibited any evidence of having a moral code, or any genuine ideology, or redeeming human qualities like empathy or loyalty, or any intellectual facility or curiosity. He's just a crappy person who does whatever crappy thing he pleases because he's never had to account for anything or take the blame for anything. There isn't any deep thought or hidden motive or four dimensional chess strategy.

That's why I don't understand the constant, endless speculation about "Oh my gosh - why do you think he did that?" If they submitted to the obvious reading - that he's a dangerous jerk who became president - seems to me they would save everyone a lot of time.

Maybe then they could turn their brilliant fact-finding expertise to reporting about something useful - like what a real, far-reaching mess he's making.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 03:46 am
I would offer the probability that Bannon's "fake new" strategy has had an effect on journalists, who are not so important or influential as they would like us to believe.
snood

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 03:59 am
@Setanta,
I don't think I've ever personally regarded reporters as especially influential or important. But I've always seen them as being in a position to potentially serve the great purpose of telling the goddam truth. And that makes it all the more a pity how seldom, and how unacceptably they do that.
Setanta

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 04:06 am
@snood,
I agree completely with your sentiments. Journalists are, in my never humble opinion, the bottom feeders of the literary world. They don't write well, they make sententious pronouncements on the basis of shallow research, and their bottom line is to sell newspapers (and these days, web traffic). This has been the case since the earliest days of the republic. Heaven help us, they're all we've got.
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 04:09 am
@snood,
Quote:
I've always seen them as being in a position to potentially serve the great purpose of telling the goddam truth

Now that is very phunny. Thanks for the chuckles.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 06:14 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
we've seen what logic and facts the electorate is capable of analyzing.
A tad depressing, that.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 06:23 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
What are you if drink Dr. Pepper? Diet?
Or orange crush, or cream soda or one of the transparent beverages? Surely these are the thirst-quenchers preferred by homosexuals, pimps and communists.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 06:33 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah, but I don't.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 06:48 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
the US really doesn't make much sense as a country when you read things like this
No, it doesn't. If, that is, one presumes that the myth stories of US politics are real (Jimmy Stewart types serving those they represent and striving for the best outcomes for the greatest number of citizens) while at the same time holding that big money exerts no unusually determinative influence on law and policy.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 23 Nov, 2017 06:52 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Apparently Set and I are conservatives.
Who knew.

I suspected. I'm not sure where this dipshit would slot me into his scheme. I have not purchased nor drank any species of cola for probably thirty years, maybe longer.
0 Replies