monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 04:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Not appreciating someone's opinions is one thing, ascribing them to a deliberate attempt to confuse, misinform, and dismay a target audience as a third party agent is something entirely different and so obviously reeks of paranoia that I'm surprised anyone has made the charge once let alone repeatedly.

Let's get our thinking clear here.

First, trolls (and here I'm speaking specifically about those individuals posting under false pretenses) are active in social media. There's no debate about the reality of this. They operate on twitter, on facebook, in news sites comments sections. They are often organized. There's no reason to presume that A2K would not include such activity.

Second, the technique of posting, acting or speaking while pretending you are something you are not has a broad history in politics, in marketing and elsewhere. For example, "astro-turf" operations are pervasive in politics and marketing and that is a classic example of presentation of self as something different from or opposite to reality. Or take the "Brooks Brothers Riot" where Republican politicos and activists, seeking to shut down the Florida vote count while pretending they were just concerned citizens (Roger Stone was a key figure). Or, as I've noted numerous times before, the ClintonsForMcCain/PUMA operations was replete with Republican activists pretending to be Hillary supporters and there were hundreds of MySpace accounts dedicated to this deceit.

Everything I've just written is factual.

So the only remaining question is whether or not Lash is an example of the thing. Obviously, I don't "know" that she is. I think it is highly likely (for all the reasons I've previously stated). The reason I asked the question earlier regarding what the rest of you thought about this was not sneaky. I wanted your feedback as a check on my own thinking and conclusions. But there wasn't much in the way of feedback.

I've bolded one word in Finn's post. The reason I've done that is to point out that my presumption and statements about Lash are unique. I've not made this charge about anyone else here either in the present or in the many years I posted on A2K. It's just where the evidence, in this individual case, leads.
blatham

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:02 am
Quote:
Fox News announced on Tuesday that it is hiring conservative commentator Mark Levin to host a new show at 10 p.m. Sundays, drawing the network ever closer to its pro-Trump base and further protecting it from future competition on the right.
Politico

Mark ******* Levin. It would have been tough for Fox to find someone more ugly in mind and spirit than this guy.

What is Fox (minus Ailes) up to? It's all about market share and profits for Murdoch's operation. If the traditional Fox viewers turn to other emerging media sources, Murdoch loses millions/billions.

0 Replies

Builder

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:05 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Let's get our thinking clear here.

Let's clarify your condescending tone here.

Nobody died, and left you in charge of anything.

That is all.
Setanta

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:07 am
Additionally, à propos of what Mr. Latham has posted, I will point out some things I have already posted in this thread. Sofia (as Lash then called herself) started a thread to attack the Clintons in 2003, and I linked it in an earlier post. That's a pattern going back at least 14 years, at this site alone. During her early days here, she clearly named herself a conservative. Since the last presidential election, in these fora, she has labeled herself a Republican and a Trump supporter. During the 2016 campaign season, she became a phony Democrat in these fora, claiming to support Sanders, and all the while taking the opportunity to attack Mrs. Clinton repeatedly. She started a thread about rising fascism in the United States, with which she has attacked the Clintons. She started a thread ostensibly about what is trending on Twitter (a vast, vast subject), largely so she could attack the Clintons.

If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck . . . I am convinced on the basis of a great deal of evidence that she comes here to troll for conservatives and to divert the subject from President Plump, to her favorite obsessive hobby horse--the Clintons.
blatham

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:11 am
WTF?
Quote:
Erik Prince, former head of security contractor Blackwater and the brother of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, has been scheduled to testify before the House Intelligence Committee next week in its investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Prince has come under scrutiny since The Washington Post reported in April that he tried to set up a secret back channel between Donald Trump and President Vladimir Putin of Russia just days before Trump’s inauguration.
Politico

Dear God Up In Heaven
You need to rethink your Plan. It's really ******* stupid.
blatham

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:15 am
@Setanta,
Yes. One doesn't want to make this sort of charge casually. Neither of us do. And I'll wager that you've not made the charge about anyone else either.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:19 am
I see that Trump has slithered into the Yea Roy Moore camp. What the hell. America made a go of it for a while. But it does set one to wondering - how bad are things going to get.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:25 am
Think Progress has some good reporting up on Russian troll activity related to the Conyers story It's Here
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:27 am
Right wing media...Making conservatives stupider every day
Quote:
Alex Jones: I know the Las Vegas gunman was a liberal because he drank Pepsi
Jones: “Conservatives drink Coca-Cola, if you drink soft drinks, liberals drink Pepsi. That’s a big clue”
MM
farmerman

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:39 am
@blatham,
The thing that really annoys me is that should the economy spike in the remaininng years of his Plumpness, he will be returned to office because weve seen what logic and facts the electorate is capable of analyzing.

All his setting the low moral temperature, treasonous leaning, self dealing, and pathological lying will be given a complete pass .
revelette1

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 08:27 am
@blatham,
What are you if drink Dr. Pepper? Diet?
BillW

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 08:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Jones: “Conservatives drink Coca-Cola, if you drink soft drinks, liberals drink Pepsi. That’s a big clue”
MM

USA is getting closer and closer to a Civil War every day.
BillW

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 08:31 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

What are you if drink Dr. Pepper? Diet?

Smart
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 08:51 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

blatham wrote:

Quote:
MM

USA is getting closer and closer to a Civil War every day.

It is so, so sad that the heart and soul of the Republican Party is tRump and Moore.......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 09:41 am
@Builder,
Gotta agree on the tone issue.

It's not helpful.
ehBeth

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 09:44 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Referring to the Haitians is actually a propagandistic position, seeking to obliquely cast a pall of racism over the end of the program.

Haitians are a great cover for ending the program. They're a lot darker than other beneficiaries of the program and there's a good chunk of the Trump base that truly hates and fears dark/black skin.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 09:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Because ... states' rights.

this is where things get interesting with c/Conservatives. The states' rights movement could gain some more traction through this.

and on the political flip side from the states' rights movement - there is another state/fed split

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/were-still-in-paris-climate-agreement-coalition-bonn-cop23/

Quote:

PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 15, 2017
A total of 20 U.S. states, 110 U.S. cities, and more than 1,400 businesses have pledged to cut their fossil-fuel emissions to ensure the U.S. meets its commitment under the Paris Climate Agreement—even if the Trump administration acts on its intention to pull the U.S. out.

“The group of American cities, states, and businesses who remain committed to the Paris Agreement represents a bigger economy than any nation outside the U.S. and China,” former mayor of New York City Michael Bloomberg said in Bonn, Germany, at this week’s UN climate negotiations (known as COP 23).

the US really doesn't make much sense as a country when you read things like this

https://www.governor.wa.gov/news-media/us-climate-alliance-joins-canada-and-mexico-new-north-american-climate-leadership

Quote:
U.S. Climate Alliance joins Canada and Mexico in a new North American Climate Leadership Dialogue
November 13, 2017

In case you missed it: Gov. Jay Inslee and other members of the U.S. Climate Alliance joined with leaders from Mexico and Canada to create the North American Climate Leadership Dialogue today in Bonn, Germany. This is the first instance of the Alliance working directly with other national governments on climate.

Quote:
North American Climate Leaders Statement

Bonn, Germany – November 13, 2017 – Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. Climate Alliance, a bipartisan coalition of 15 U.S. Governors, stand together in a strong commitment to combat climate change and support clean growth across North America. We recognize that a global climate challenge demands working together.

We agreed today to strengthen our climate initiatives through a new North American Climate Leadership Dialogue. We will share progress on these goals at the 2018 Global Climate Action Summit to be hosted by California this September.

Leaders decided that the Dialogue will address topics including clean transportation and zero-emission vehicles, vehicle efficiency, clean technology, supporting clean power while reducing reliance on coal-fired electricity, carbon pricing initiatives, and reducing short-lived climate pollutants.

The U.S. Climate Alliance was formed by Governors Jerry Brown, Andrew Cuomo and Jay Inslee in response to the U.S. federal government’s decision to withdraw the United States from the Paris Agreement on climate change. The bipartisan coalition of states is committed to the goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions consistent with the goals of the Paris Agreement.
ehBeth

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 09:55 am
@blatham,
Apparently Set and I are conservatives.

Who knew.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 02:48 pm
@hightor,
That's OK, I did too.
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 22 Nov, 2017 04:02 pm
@ehBeth,
From National Geographic via ehBeth:
Quote:
PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 15, 2017
A total of 20 U.S. states, 110 U.S. cities, and more than 1,400 businesses have pledged to cut their fossil-fuel emissions to ensure the U.S. meets its commitment under the Paris Climate Agreement—even if the Trump administration acts on its intention to pull the U.S. out.

“The group of American cities, states, and businesses who remain committed to the Paris Agreement represents a bigger economy than any nation outside the U.S. and China,” former mayor of New York City Michael Bloomberg said in Bonn, Germany, at this week’s UN climate negotiations (known as COP 23).

I suppose any state, on it's own, can decide what its pollution standard is. But I have to wonder if there might not be some opposition to states pledging loyalty to the Paris Climate Agreement on Constitutional grounds.

Quote:
Article I
Section 10
1: No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.