monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 04:14 am
Last week Alabama voters were subjected to this robo-call:
Quote:
I’m a reporter for The Washington Post calling to find out if anyone at this address is a female between the ages of 54 to 57 years old, willing to make damaging remarks about candidate Roy Moore for a reward of between $5,000 and $7,000. We will not be fully investigating these claims however we will make a written report.

Obviously Moore's accusers are merely dupes of a plot by the MSM to derail the candidacy of a good Christian man. Maybe Trump is right after all?

Full story (and it's a good one):
NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 04:54 am
Above, Lash wrote:
Quote:
Bill got away with it. Weinstein and Spacey and their pedo friends in Hollywood got away with it.

Quote:
If the Clintons weren’t mired in sex assaults, graft, and money laundering schemes they haven’t answered to, so many people wouldn’t hate her,

I ask this question out of genuine curiosity. Is there anyone here who does not conclude that Lash is a right wing troll forwarding typical right wing media's anti-Clinton, anti-Dem ideas and rhetoric with the goal of spreading disaffection and confusion on the left?
blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 05:02 am
Quote:
AUSTIN, Tex. — For nearly a decade, meetings of the Republican Governors Association were buoyant, even giddy, affairs, as the party — lifted by enormous political donations and a backlash against the Obama administration — achieved overwhelming control of state governments.

But a sense of foreboding hung over the group’s gathering in Austin this past week, as President Trump’s unpopularity and Republicans’ unexpectedly drastic losses in elections earlier this month in Virginia, New Jersey and suburbs from Philadelphia to Seattle raised the specter of a political reckoning in 2018.
NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 05:50 am
How low can right wing religious types go?
Quote:
This week, Trump returns to Mar-a-Lago for the first time since April. He will confront a changed social scene.

During the summer, 19 charities that had events scheduled this season at Mar-a-Lago abruptly quit after Trump defended participants in a violent rally in Charlottesville organized by white supremacists.

In their place, the club is turning to a different kind of customer.

Republican groups. Televangelist Pat Robertson, who started a gala in order to hold it at Mar-a-Lago. And a group called “Trumpettes USA,” which is planning a dinner in January that costs $300 per person. They intend for Mar-a-Lago to keep most — or all — of the money they take in.
WP

But we should remember that Robertson is now worth somewhere between 200 million and a billion from playing this right wing religious scam.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 05:55 am
Quote:
More than 290 coaches and officials associated with U.S. Olympic sports organizations have been publicly accused of sexual misconduct since 1982, according to a Post review. That covers 15 sports and amounts to an average of one adult accused of misconduct every six weeks for 36 years.
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 06:03 am
A feminist and author of a book on rape culture argues that Franken should not resign. Her arguments are pretty much the same as those I would make. Here's her concluding graf
Quote:
But in a sharply divided political climate where toxic masculinity knows no party, yet is only ever acknowledged by one, we must think about how to minimize harm to women. One more empty apology and resignation, one more head on a pike, will not make American women safer or better off. Powerful men lifting up women’s concerns and supporting progressive women candidates, however, could be a real step toward changing the culture that makes victims of so many of us.
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 06:24 am
On the one hand, you have your Christians. And on the other hand, you have your Christians.
Quote:
* Pope Francis has little patience for climate deniers: “Climate change is ‘one of the most worrying phenomena our humanity is experiencing,’ the pontiff wrote Thursday in a letter sent to world leaders gathered for the United Nations’ annual climate change conference. He also warned participants against falling prey to certain ‘perverse’ attitudes on the issue, including denial, indifference and resignation.”

* And right-wing televangelist Jim Bakker told his viewers this week that saying “Merry Christmas” was “outlawed a few years ago.” That’s, um, wrong.
Benen
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 06:34 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I ask this question out of genuine curiosity. Is there anyone here who does not conclude that Lash is a right wing troll forwarding typical right wing media's anti-Clinton, anti-Dem ideas and rhetoric with the goal of spreading disaffection and confusion on the left?
Depends on what you call "troll" and how you define the term.
What I've noticed is that Lash more or less strictly follows the "topics" as being published in St. Petersburg by Assange by populists elsewhere.
blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 06:39 am
Quote:
Anatomy of a Fake News Scandal
Inside the web of conspiracy theorists, Russian operatives, Trump campaigners and Twitter bots who manufactured the 'news' that Hillary Clinton ran a pizza-restaurant child-sex ring

...Welch's arrest was the culmination of an election cycle dominated by fake news – and by attacks on the legitimate press. Several media outlets quickly traced the contours of what became known as Pizzagate: The claim that Hillary Clinton was a pedophile started in a Facebook post, spread to Twitter and then went viral with the help of far-right platforms like Breitbart and Info-Wars. But it was unclear whether Pizzagate was mass hysteria or the work of politicos with real resources and agendas. It took the better part of a year (and two teams of researchers) to sift through the digital trail. We found ordinary people, online activists, bots, foreign agents and domestic political operatives. Many of them were associates of the Trump campaign. Others had ties with Russia. Working together – though often unwittingly – they flourished in a new "post-truth" information ecosystem, a space where false claims are defended as absolute facts. What's different about Pizzagate, says Samuel Woolley, a leading expert in computational propaganda, is it was "retweeted and picked up by some of the most powerful faces of American politics."
Rolling Stone
blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 07:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Here's what I don't mean by that term in the context of Lash's posts.

I don't mean the individual who posts somewhere merely to push emotional buttons and upset other users. Gamergate had a lot of that but we've seen it all over the place. If you attend to or join in on discussions at NRO, for example, you'll find lefties who come there to insult.

I don't mean those who post just to harass someone or some group such as women or members of a political party, movement, or ideology.

Rather, I mean someone who posts dishonestly and under false pretenses (sometimes, but not necessarily, using a fake identity) in order to promote a political agenda different from or opposite to what they really believe. Eg,, the sort of posts we've all seen countless times...
"Though I've been a lifelong Democratic Party supporter, I can no longer remain a part of a party which is moving to implement Sharia Law in America. I love freedom and I'm voting Republican to save America".

As I've noted before, one of the loudest and most prominent Bernie supporters throughout the Dem convention (one who was yelling when Sarah Silverman was on stage) was later recognized and revealed to be a right wing activist whose true agenda was sewing discord among Dem voters. It was predictable to 100% that such activists would, dishonestly, try to degrade Dem voters' regard for Hillary by pretending to attack her from the left and accuse her of being a false liberal and a shill for moneyed interests and nothing more.

Does that help clarify my meaning?

Walter Hinteler

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 07:18 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Does that help clarify my meaning?
Sure Wink
Lash

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 07:21 am
@blatham,
You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Do you know what was done to the Bernie supporters at that fake-ass convention!? There was a carefully planned series of staged behavior to silence them and hide what was really happening from the TV audience.

They were doing their best to force actual progressive changes to the platform and make reforms to the withering Republican Lite platform Hillary and her sycophants pushed through.

That screaming WAS NOT anything other than progressives trying to be heard.

You’re so out of touch.

The dirt was done by the Clinton cult of democrats to the party’s ruin.

This is precisely why they/we refused to vote for her.
blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 07:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I did notice your strikethrough.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 07:50 am
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to an Election
(It wasn’t democracy)

http://progressivearmy.com/2017/08/02/the-democratic-national-convention-one-year-later/

Excerpt:

The real excitement was on the floor, with the delegates and their protests, but they were far down below. Up where we were, ushers came around with signs for each speaker that we were to wave as they spoke. When they finally distributed Bernie signs in anticipation of his speech to close the night, I dared to wave mine while Warren was still speaking. The usher came back and stopped me. She left. I did it again. She saw me and motioned. “I’ll get in trouble!” she said. Even in the way back row at the top, where cameras were sure to never find us, Truman-Show rules were strictly in force.

When Bernie finally got to the podium, the ovation was deafening and went on for so long that, several minutes in, even he was wagging his hands to get us to stop. We refused: this was our only officially-sanctioned, TV moment and we were going to make the most of it. What else was there in Convention-land? After thanking the volunteers, the delegates, those who voted and donated, and his family, Bernie went on to do the heretical for an infotainment program: he mentioned the 1%. Then he said the word “poverty.” He talked about the grotesque levels of wealth and income inequality, the need to overturn Citizen’s United, break up the banks, oppose the Trans-Pacific Protocol and combat climate change. He did the whole “Hillary Clinton understands” bit, subtly trying to lock in his ideas. For those of us who’d worked on the campaign, we knew those ideas by rote, but in this context, it was a different thing altogether. For one half-hour, it was almost like we were at an event that had something to do with real politics. He tucked his endorsement of Clinton quickly at the end and quickly scooted off the stage. We got out as quickly as we could as well into the humid Philadelphia night. At least the rain had stopped.

We wouldn’t see the inside of the convention again.

Film credit: Kurt Hackbarth (with commentary in Spanish)

Things to Do in Philadelphia When You’re Expelled from the DNC

Denied entrance to the DNC in the days that followed, we took to the streets, joining in the marches that swept down South Broad Street to FDR Park. There, we heard from the Sanders delegates about the machinations that were being used to silence them inside the arena: revoked credentials, lights being turned out, signs ripped out of hands, the delegate walk-out after the roll-call vote, the Clinton delegates’ telling choice of counter-chants (“USA!” used to drown out “No More War”?). We listened to speakers outside of City Hall and swapped stories with people from across the country. We wandered into the Marriott to watch the roll-call vote in the bar. I got to take a picture with Rosario Dawson. Mostly, though, we watched the cars pile up on the slow-motion wreck that was the Clinton 2016 campaign, the one that couldn’t possibly lose until it found a way to do precisely that.

If a week is a long time in politics, a year is an eternity. Last year’s TPP fight, for instance, seems to have faded into the past – that is, unless Trump resurrects it under a different name. But the one thing that hasn’t seem to have changed is the Democratic hierarchy’s stubborn unwillingness to look itself in the mirror. If our experience in Philadelphia is any indication, it will be a slow and painful process – if it happens at all. It could start by learning to keep its word.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 07:51 am
@blatham,
good catch by Woolley
blatham

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 08:07 am
@ossobucotemp,
Yes. (from link above)
Quote:
The campaign's engagement went far deeper. We found at least 66 Trump campaign figures who followed one or more of the most prolific Pizzagate tweeters. Michael Caputo, a Trump adviser who tweeted frequently about Clinton's e-mails, followed 146 of these accounts; Corey Stewart, Trump's campaign chair in Virginia, who lost a tight primary race for governor in June, followed 115; Paula White-Cain, Trump's spiritual adviser, followed 71; Pastor Darrell Scott, a prominent member of Trump's National Diversity Coalition, followed 33. Flynn's son, Michael Flynn Jr., who followed 58 of these accounts, famously took the bait and was ousted from the Trump transition team in early December after tweeting, "Until #Pizzagate proven to be false, it'll remain a story."

0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 09:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Now that was pretty damned funny, Walter.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 09:47 am
Quote:
The top nuclear commander in the US says he would resist any "illegal" presidential order to launch a strike.

Air Force Gen John Hyten, said as head of the US Strategic Command he provided advice to a president and expected that a legal alternative would be found.

His comments come just days after US senators discussed a president's authority to launch a nuclear attack.

Some of them expressed concern that President Donald Trump might irresponsibly order such a strike.

Others though said a president must have the authority to act without meddling from lawyers. It was the first such hearing in more than 40 years.

In August, Mr Trump vowed to unleash "fire and fury like the world has never seen" on North Korea if it threatened the US.

Last month, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Republican chairman, Senator Bob Corker, accused the president of setting the US "on a path to World War Three".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42041975
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 10:15 am
Quote:
Republicans Admit Their Tax Plan Is All About Rich Donors

It’s unpopular. It’s expensive. But the donors want it.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that people in “real America” with “real jobs” don’t while away their mortal hours reading about politics. But God help me, if you’ve suffered through any coverage of the Republican tax plan, you’ve probably heard three things.

First, it’ll dramatically slash taxes on corporations and billionaires, raise them for nearly a third of us in the middle class, and blow a $1.5 trillion hole in the deficit.

Second, it’s unpopular. Less than a third of Americans support it, Reuters reports. That’s worse than Trump’s own approval rating, which remains mired in the 30s.

And third, the Republicans who control Congress believe it simply must pass.

In fact, this third point sets the tenor for the entire debate. “Republicans are desperate to rack up a legislative win after a series of embarrassing failures,” TIME observes. “If tax reform doesn’t pass, many in the party fear an all-out revolt in 2018.”

“All of us realize that if we fail on taxes, that’s the end of the Republican Party’s governing majority in 2018,” South Carolina Republican Lindsey Graham told Fox News recently. In fact, “that’s probably the end of the Republican Party as we know it.”

If the tax giveaway doesn’t pass, adds Utah Republican Mike Lee, “We might as well pack up our tent and go home.”

The thing is, that doesn’t make any sense. Gallup polls have shown over and over that most Americans think rich people and corporations should pay more, not less. Even a majority of Republican voters worry about what this wealth grab will do to the deficit.

If they were looking for a win, then, Republicans would be running against their own plan. So what gives?

Well, New York Republican Chris Collins recently offered a clue: “My donors are basically saying, ‘Get it done or don’t ever call me again.’” Ah!

Many voters in Collins’ high-tax district will likely pay more, since the GOP wants to end federal deductions for state and local taxes. But it doesn’t have a lick to do with voters. It has everything to do with the affluent donors who bankroll GOP campaigns.

A similar dynamic played out in the health care debate. GOP leaders trotted out plan after plan that would eliminate coverage for anywhere from 20 to 24 million Americans — plans that never topped the low 20s in public support.

But those plans would have reduced taxes on the wealthy. So they had to pass.

“Senator Charles E. Grassley of Iowa, who has been deeply involved in health policy for years, told reporters back home that he could count 10 reasons the new health proposal should not reach the floor,” the New York Times reported back in September, “but that Republicans needed to press ahead regardless.”

When those bills met their righteous demise, elite GOP fundraising took a huge dive. Senate Republicans lost $2 million in planned contributions alone, The Hill noted this summer. Fundraising in those months fell some $5 million below where it had been in the spring.

So there it is, team: Follow the money. It’s no wonder Princeton researchers found a few years ago that rich people matter to Congress, but ordinary folks generally don’t. That’s probably why many of us prefer to tune it out entirely.

It’s also exactly why we do have to pay attention. Especially in those rare moments when members admit exactly what’s going on.

Juan Cole

I generally read Juan Cole for news on foreign wars and issues, but ran across this and thought it interesting. If you happen to browse around, reading the Yemen situation is depressing. Obama was at fault there as well as Trump.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 19 Nov, 2017 11:18 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I never respected those guys that much.

Me neither. In fact, I found them quite pathetic. Seems to me that sort of behavior is never about the healthy actualization of normal sexual desire, and it's certainly not the mark of a romantic who is in love with love. It's the sign of someone who has a hunger that can't be sated. Even so-called casual sex should have a component of emotional intimacy because, without it, you might as well be masturbating or copulating with one of those high cost, ultra-realistic Japanese sex dolls. At best, you've reduced yourself to a level of purely emotionless biological urges that you need to go pretty far down the pyramid of animal life to find present in nature. There is good evidence of an emotional component to mammalian mating and with birds as well. You probably need to "sink" as low as the insect world to find the proper analog for these human satyrs among earth's fauna. Hell, if you can't distinguish your partner between a meal and a good lay, the romance is certainly lacking.

One of my first encounters with such a wretch was the father of my first girlfriend. He destroyed his family because he just couldn't keep his dick in his pants. He didn't just have one or two "affairs" with women who he might have thought understood him better than his long-suffering wife, he had countless one-night stands and brief dalliances. I saw a couple of the women he "conquered" as they lived in the family's neighborhood and not only could they not hold a candle to his attractive wife, a couple were downright repulsive (which probably helped explain how he managed to seduce them). Sound like any White House resident we know of but who may not be named in this thread?

I don't think there is any clearly defined point before which a person can't be held responsible for their actions, but a fair argument can be made that just about everyone did things in their teens and early 20's that they would never consider doing once they became an "adult." The age of 25 seems to generally be considered the point by which the human brain is fully developed, so while it doesn't serve as a Get Out of Jail card, I think that someone who gave up their wild ways after 25 should not be held to them in the context of judging their contemporary character.

The sexual activity which he clearly is bragging about doesn't disqualify him as a public servant, but it's not something that's going to encourage me to vote for him if I live in his district. I think to a certain extent, he hurt himself more than he helped with this statement, and so either he's clueless (another reason not to vote for him) or he's trying to preempt charges he believe will rise. Either way, it will be up to the voters in his district to judge whether or not they believe he should represent them.I just found the story an interesting example of the impact of these sexual abuse revelations.
0 Replies