monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 08:55 pm
@blatham,
Not criticism blatham, you did the hard word, I just made made a small addition that got closer to the blunt truth!
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 01:44 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I don't recall seeing this piece posted here:

Quote:

Quote:
Why Don’t Sanders Supporters Care About the Russia Investigation?
David Klion, NYT, Nov 14

(my bolds)

source

David Klion is a freelance writer in Brooklyn and a former editor for Al Jazeera America and World Politics Review. He has a master's degree in Soviet history from the University of Chicago and has lived and worked in Russia

President Barack Obama’s decision to hit back at Russia for its alleged interference in the US presidential election, by imposing new sanctions Thursday and expelling 35 suspected intelligence officers, comes at a delicate time. With just three weeks remaining in office, Obama is in what is traditionally regarded as a lame duck phase, as a snarky tweet from the Russian embassy in the UK drove home.

But this is no ordinary transition. President-elect Donald Trump is urging Americans “to get on with our lives” rather than act on the intelligence community’s consensus that Russia hacked the Democratic National Committee with the intent of swaying the election in his favor. Obama therefore sees this as the last chance to hold Russia accountable and to limit Trump’s options for rapprochement with Vladimir Putin after 20 January.

On Friday morning, Putin announced he would not be expelling US intelligence officers in response, a clear sign of his optimism about the imminent Trump administration. However, Obama has suggested that additional covert actions may be taken against Russia in the near future. A true reciprocal response would involve the release of hacked information about top Russian officials. Russia is a highly centralized kleptocracy, and no one in power has clean hands. The Russian president himself remains stubbornly popular despite his own widely assumed corruption. But any official below him is vulnerable to exposure and disgrace, which the US probably has the capacity to inflict at will.(end quote)

Looks like business as usual, for this level of govt.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 01:46 am
@ossobucotemp,
I had as good a time as a heterosexual male could have had. They were a nice bunch of lads.
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 02:31 am
Quote:
George Soros's hedge fund, Soros Fund Management LLC, eliminated or reduced investments in some of the biggest names in tech last quarter, including Facebook Inc. FB, +0.92% and Apple Inc. AAPL, +1.19% Soros divested a 1,700-share stake in Apple as well as 1.55 million shares of Snapchat parent company Snap Inc. SNAP, +0.80% according to a quarterly filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The hedge fund greatly decreased its holdings in Facebook and Twitter Inc. TWTR, +2.26% cutting Facebook shares from 476,713 shares to 109,451 and chopping investments in Twitter's stock and debt. Among the new investments Soros opened in the quarter were General Electric Co. GE, -0.05% General Motors Co. GM, +1.73% Campbell Soup Co. CPB, +4.09% and Oracle Corp. ORCL, +0.78%

Interesting ploy by GS. I wonder what he's seeing coming. He lost a reported billion betting the market would collapse after Trump was elected.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:14 am
@hightor,
It's a very good piece. But I'm not going to wade into why I think that Katrina vanden Heuvel, for example, is wrong.
Builder

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:33 am
@blatham,
Quote:
It's a very good piece.

Which part of that "piece" are you in agreement with?

I'm thinking he's doing an opinion editorial, without any evidence for what he's claiming.

Sound familiar?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:33 am
Michelle Goldberg at the NYT has a column up today arguing that Al Franken ought to leave office.. It's a very thoughtful piece and there's lots in there that needs to be considered. But I disagree with her conclusion. As this avalanche of stories emerges, there will be accounts which one can easily presume are factual but there will be, in these accounts, a spectrum of seriousness that we can't justly ignore. Relevant factors are the degree of assault, the nature of the assault, the frequency of the behavior, the context, etc.
Builder

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:45 am
Why is president Trump so popular in China?

source

Quote:
Why does Trump fascinate so many Chinese?

Love him or hate him, it’s undeniable that Trump is one of the most followed public figures in the world.1

With 41 million following the @realDonaldTrump personal account2, President Donald Trump recently surpassed Pope Francis’ 39.5 million followers to be the most followed world leader on Twitter.1

Strangely enough, although Trump was extremely vocal on his tirades about China during his election campaign, Trump still enjoys a large amount of popularity in China rather than being persona non grata there.

We examine why so many Chinese still think Trump – hailed online as ‘Emperor Trump’ by some Chinese netizens3 – could be the ‘best US President for China’4, and break it down to 5 reasons below.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:47 am
And here is Sarah Silverman on Louis CK and, more generally, this emerging (and necessary) #MeToo phenomenon.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:58 am
Quote:
[Political appointee to DHS] Johnson extolled the economic successes of American Jews and said “it’s an indictment of America’s black community that has turned America’s major cities into slums because of laziness, drug use and sexual promiscuity,” according to a recording posted by CNN.

Johnson was active in Republican politics in Iowa for years, working for presidential candidates Rick Santorum, Rick Perry and Donald Trump in the state, CNN said. He was a regular guest on conservative talk radio shows.
WP

Is there a factory somewhere that pumps out idiotic racists like this guy?
blatham

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:20 am
This Michael Gerson column is a must-read. It is the strongest thing I've seen him write about the modern right and the modern GOP
Quote:
I spent part of my convalescence from a recent illness reading some of the comprehensive timelines of the Russia investigation (which indicates, I suppose, a sickness of another sort). One, compiled by Politico, runs to nearly 12,000 words — an almost book-length account of stupidity, cynicism, hubris and corruption at the highest levels of American politics.

The cumulative effect on the reader is a kind of nausea no pill can cure. Most recently, we learned about Donald Trump Jr.’s direct communications with WikiLeaks — which CIA Director Mike Pompeo has called “a non-state hostile intelligence service often abetted by state actors like Russia” — during its efforts to produce incriminating material on Hillary Clinton during the 2016 election. But this is one sentence in an epic of corruption. There is the narrative of a campaign in which high-level operatives believed that Russian espionage could help secure the American presidency, and acted on that belief. There is the narrative of deception to conceal the nature and extent of Russian ties. And there is the narrative of a president attempting to prevent or shut down the investigation of those ties and soliciting others for help in that task.

In all of this, there is a spectacular accumulation of lies. Lies on disclosure forms. Lies at confirmation hearings. Lies on Twitter. Lies in the White House briefing room. Lies to the FBI. Self-protective lies by the attorney general. Blocking and tackling lies by Vice President Pence. This is, with a few exceptions, a group of people for whom truth, political honor, ethics and integrity mean nothing.
WP
Builder

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:24 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Is there a factory somewhere that pumps out idiotic racists like this guy?

They call it the mainstream media.
farmerman

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:43 am
@Builder,
like Fox, Liberty Radio , and ALL the talk shows??
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:54 am
Sean Illing at Vox interviews presidential historian Robert Dallek.
Quote:
Sean Illing
You’ve studied a lot of presidents and White Houses. Is the corruption and the lying in this administration unique in your mind?

Robert Dallek
This administration is a low point in our history. We’ve been through scandals before, going as far back as the Grant administration in the 19th century and the Harding administration in the early 20th century. Presidents have been accused of bribery and shady gift-giving. So it’s not entirely unique to see scandals subsume a White House.

But the shamelessness of this administration, the dishonesty, the total indifference to facts, is something I haven’t seen before — at least not this blatant. I think it’s demoralized people and made them even more cynical about politics.

Sean Illing
Is this the most dishonest administration you've ever seen or studied?

Robert Dallek
The short answer is yes. Politicians lie, but this is different...
link here
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:58 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Relevant factors are the degree of assault, the nature of the assault, the frequency of the behavior, the context, etc.

There's a difference, in my mind, between George H.W. Bush's or Franken's transgressions and the those of a Harvey Weinstein or Clarence Thomas. In cases where actual laws may not have been broken but the limits of decency are exceeded, individuals should be allowed to decide for themselves whether or not to withhold political support and not be condemned for failing to jump on any particular bandwagon. There's something unseemly about the mob mentality, everyone scrambling to throw stones as if to prove their own innocence.
Setanta

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 06:13 am
Sauce for the goose makes sauce for the gander. I find Franken as disgusting as Weinstein or Moore or Plump, who bragged about groping women. Plump has tweeted about Franken, but he hasn't tweeted about Moore. The clown is transparently hypocritical and partisan.

But that's OK, President Plump and his buddies like Moore are busily destroying the Republican Party. If the Republicans start crawling to the teabaggers, they will just shrink their own respective bases as Plump has shrunken his. However, considering the disarray and corruption of the Democrats, they may not be in such bad shape after all.
Brand X

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 06:14 am
Trump draws attention back on himself and his accusers.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/931357870024687616

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 06:21 am
@hightor,
Yes. This is a tough one with no simple answers (except as insisted upon by those who are discomfited by complexity). Or those who, as you suggest, succumb to the peer pressures of some popular cause thus sort of disabling their ability to make (or voice) distinctions.

One very important criterion for me, aside from severity, is how the perpetrator behaves after his acts are revealed. Denial or admission? Perceptible and honest personal regret and sense of guilt or the lack of that?

Let me share a personal story. When I was about 22, some friends and I (all males) were driving around our hometown on a Saturday evening and we noticed what was obviously a house party. We knew no one involved and they were about five years younger, about 17 on average. We entered the house and mingled. We were good guys with no intention of causing any sort of upset and we didn't. Maybe. The daughter who lived there was strikingly beautiful and very sexy in appearance. She and I were in the unfinished basement talking (with probably a dozen others) and I was leaning against a post when I realized it had a light switch about the height of my shoulder blade. As we talked, I shifted my shoulder imperceptibly and turned the switch off. It was the only light and the room went totally dark. There were some gasps and girlish screams. After about two seconds, I moved again and turned the light back on. But in that two seconds of total darkness, I had reached forward and lightly grasped her breasts. When the light came on, her eyes were wide but neither her nor I said anything about this grope and no one else in the room knew anything had happened. I had always considered that this young lady appreciated the joke. I'm no longer certain that she did.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 06:35 am
We knew this was highly probable but still it is very bad news
Quote:
Since 1975, it has been illegal in the United States for a company or individual to own a newspaper and a radio or television station in the same local media market. The point of this rule was to prevent powerful private entities from enjoying overwhelming influence over how Americans saw the world.

In 2017, six corporations own 90 percent of American media — and the Republican-led Federal Communications Commission has decided that concerns about media consolidation have become obsolete.
NYMag
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 17 Nov, 2017 07:29 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Sauce for the goose makes sauce for the gander.

Gasp! Not the dreaded tu quoque fallacy in action!