monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ossobucotemp

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:30 pm
@izzythepush,
If I remember, izzy, you've been to Texas - do you have any memories from it? Not my business, of course. I've only been in Texas once, driving through the panhandle; don't remember if we stopped for lunch. Probably. All I remember is the blur of along drive. I known some a2kers who lived there, and though I haven't met them personally except for EdgarB whom I definitely like, pretty much liked them. I figure I'd like Austin, but some of the folks were or are from other areas and I appreciate them too. But.. mostly when I read other than a2k, Texans read like roving idiots. Just an impression, of
course. but this Sheriff fellow gives me pause.

I remember years ago being a tad afraid in Orange County, California, when I had a bunker sticker on the trunk of my car for the liberal, Eugene McCarthy. Quite conservative area, at least at the time. I parked in the shopping center lot with a touch of temerity. Eh, all was fine, it was just my worry.
blatham

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:57 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
This is being proven now in Alabama where they would rather vote for a pedophile than a qualified democrat.
No kidding. It would be one thing if Trump who was open about being something of a slut (attending Studio 54 and Plato's Retreat, etc). But it's much worse coming from a self-righteous Evangelical of this Alabama Ayatollah's sort. And yet, a lot of his base are prepared to ignore their own righteous principles.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:58 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
President Trump’s adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner received and forwarded emails about WikiLeaks and a “Russian backdoor overture and dinner invite” that he kept from Senate Judiciary Committee investigators, according to panel leaders demanding that he produce the missing records.

Committee Chairman Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) and ranking member Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) sent a letter to Kushner’s lawyer Abbe Lowell on Thursday charging that Kushner has failed to disclose several documents, records and transcripts in response to multiple inquiries from committee investigators.

In the letter, Grassley and Feinstein instruct Kushner’s team to turn over “several documents that are known to exist” because other witnesses in their probe already gave them to investigators. They include a series of “September 2016 email communications to Mr. Kushner concerning WikiLeaks,” which the committee leaders say Kushner then forwarded to another campaign official. Earlier this week, Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. revealed that he had had direct communication with WikiLeaks over private Twitter messages during the campaign.

... ... ...
WaPo
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 02:59 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
You repeat nothing but right wing false talking points.

True right wing talking points are ok. They are few and far in between, but ok.
Fair criticism of what I wrote.
blatham

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 03:08 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
If they vote it up, it will be telling all Americans that the lower and middle classes have NO VOICE.
Yup. That's how the vote turned out. And yup again - the lower and middle classes have no voice outside of the now-diminished voice facilitated by voting and protest.

And this is one of the very real dangers of the myths of American exceptionalism. Where/when folks presume that really significant degradation of democracy is axiomatically not possible in America, they can't see it coming because it's impossible.
blatham

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 03:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
WHILE WIKILEAKS HAS undoubtedly facilitated the release of information that is both true and important, it is Assange’s Trump-like willingness to traffic in such unsubstantiated rumors, conspiracy theories, and innuendo not supported by evidence that undermines his claim to be a disinterested publisher, not a political operative.
Yes. Initially, I was a big fan of what Assange seemed to be up to. I very much liked the ideal of maximal transparency and I thought his theories of how power was being maintained by elites made a lot of sense. But then he fell off some weird cliff.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 03:18 pm
Quote:
Paul Waldman‏
@paulwaldman1
To my conservative friends:

Watch how liberals are greeting this story about Al Franken. So far, universal anger and disgust.

NO ONE is defending him, even if they think he's a good senator. Might be a lesson there.

Quote:
Greg Sargent‏Verified account
@ThePlumLineGS
More Greg Sargent Retweeted Leeann Tweeden
This account should be taken seriously. Photo seems damning. And the follow-up insults are ugly.

Al Franken needs to address this.
hightor

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 03:23 pm
I don't recall seeing this piece posted here:

Quote:
Why Don’t Sanders Supporters Care About the Russia Investigation?
David Klion, NYT, Nov 14

Nearly every day, new details emerge about the relationship between Donald Trump’s campaign and the Russian government. The extent of the alleged collusion, which may ultimately endanger Mr. Trump’s presidency, has yet to be determined, but the scandal has dominated news coverage and enthralled Washington.

And yet to many observers on America’s political left, questions about Russia’s interference in last year’s election are a frustrating distraction.

Some believe that Russian meddling is, at best, irrelevant to the needs of working-class Americans, whom Democrats should focus on: Katrina vanden Heuvel, the editor of The Nation, has chastised Democrats, saying, “Focusing on Trump’s ties to Russia alone will not win the crucial 2018 midterm elections, nor will it win meaningful victories on issues like health care, climate change, and inequality that affect all of our lives.”

Others say that the investigation is an overhyped, “neo-McCarthyist” conspiracy theory. The journalist Masha Gessen, for example, wrote in The New York Review of Books that it was “distracting from real, documentable, and documented issues” and at the same time “promoting a xenophobic conspiracy theory in the cause of removing a xenophobic conspiracy theorist from office.”

Noam Chomsky has said that Russian interference in the election is “not a major issue” and that Americans’ obsession with it is making our country “a laughingstock,” especially considering the United States’ reputation for meddling in other countries’ politics. Moreover, many who oppose American hawkishness feel that the Russia scandal helps keep tensions alive with an old Cold War enemy.

For supporters of Bernie Sanders’s presidential campaign, “Russia” can seem like Hillary Clinton’s convenient excuse for her failings as a candidate. In the words of Glenn Greenwald, Russian interference “explains otherwise-confounding developments, provides certainty to a complex world, and alleviates numerous factions of responsibility.”

But as the investigation led by Robert Mueller closes in on more Trump associates like Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn, it seems clear that the Russia story is only going to get bigger. Rather than downplay or deny it, the left should embrace it. Mr. Trump’s Russia ties illustrate the dangers of inequality and elite corruption — and point to the need for radical solutions.

The release this month of millions of leaked documents known as the Paradise Papers establishes what leftists have argued for years: The United States-led push for free trade and a globalized economy has resulted in vast, unaccountable flows of untaxed offshore wealth. The policies of the post-Cold War Washington consensus have enriched the 1 percent and offered new ways to shelter and launder money across borders. A transnational oligarchy has arisen, with secretive business partnerships tying, for instance, Wilbur Ross, Mr. Trump’s commerce secretary, to the family of President Vladimir Putin of Russia. Far from undermining left-wing arguments, discussing these arrangements perfectly demonstrates the failings of contemporary capitalism.

Mr. Manafort’s indictment is a case study in international corruption. For years, the indictment says, he operated as an unregistered lobbyist for authoritarian governments, a popular racket in Washington. To avoid taxes, according to the indictment, he set up offshore bank accounts and laundered money through real estate and luxury goods — a common practice that enriches plutocrats while exacerbating housing crises in cities like New York and London by pumping billions of dollars of looted wealth into a tight real estate market.

While Mr. Manafort crossed lines (he has confessed to making false statements and material omissions) and now faces legal consequences, his long career typifies the amorality, opulence and lack of accountability that successive American governments have enabled.

Many establishment Democrats and Republicans in the self-proclaimed “resistance” to Mr. Trump say they are deeply concerned about the Russia scandal, but they have largely failed to consider its full implications.

To “Never Trump” conservatives, the main takeaways are that the United States needs to step up its confrontation with Russia in Ukraine, Syria and elsewhere, and that the Obama administration was insufficiently tough on Mr. Putin. Many Democrats, meanwhile, argue that Russian interference means that Mr. Trump’s presidency is illegitimate and that Mrs. Clinton is not to blame for her loss.

But Russian meddling in American politics is, in fact, the product of a long series of bipartisan policy failures. Democrats and Republicans alike supported trade policies that facilitated the rise of plundered fortunes in countries like Russia and China. For instance, in the 1990s, both the Bush and Clinton administrations encouraged the aggressive privatization of the Russian economy, which resulted in collapsing living standards, a new class of robber barons and a backlash against liberal democracy that Mr. Putin exploits to this day.

Left-wing critics of American foreign policy correctly point out that Russia is a convenient punching bag for hawkish pundits and politicians. But the most powerful counterweights to these hawks aren’t exactly progressive champions either: American corporations have lobbied against recognizing Mr. Putin’s human rights abuses and have sought to exploit Russia’s natural resources. Energy companies like Exxon Mobil, whose former chief executive, Rex Tillerson, now serves as secretary of state, have partnered with Russia and have sought waivers from international sanctions to drill for oil in Russia. A new Cold War would be dangerous, but so would a warmer United States-Russia relationship that enriches oil company executives in both countries.

As a rising generation of leftists increasingly asserts itself within the Democratic Party — and may, eventually, have the opportunity to shape foreign policy — it must articulate a new approach to Russia consistent with its core values. This approach should be driven neither by the interests of the national security state nor by the energy sector. Instead, it should aim to block Russia’s kleptocratic elite from safeguarding its assets in the United States, to clean up the influence of foreign lobbying on Washington and to shut down tax havens for billionaires everywhere. The investigation into the Trump campaign’s Russia ties provides an opportunity to focus on these issues.

“Inequality, corruption, oligarchy and authoritarianism are inseparable,” Mr. Sanders said in a recent address. “Around the world we have witnessed the rise of demagogues who once in power use their positions to loot the state of its resources. These kleptocrats, like Putin in Russia, use divisiveness and abuse as a tool for enriching themselves and those loyal to them.” For Americans who broadly share Mr. Sanders’s views, this should be the real lesson of the Russia scandal.
farmerman

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 03:27 pm
@oralloy,
India's already got a bunch of small Fast breeders to provide power and Pu. Thats one of the arguments with em. Theyve been using several 40 Mw units for on site power generation in Kerala .
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 03:31 pm
@blatham,
Yea, and the other guy that I think I saw mentioned re hunting elephants, maybe Kushner. Don't trust me re names that flash on by.

Also, I've a bone to pick re what I think is my side re all the sexual harassment going on as if it is about to go out of style.. one can only hope harassment and flirting are clearly distinct one of these days. Also, women have been known to lie too.

Maybe we need teens to learn how to flirt but not harass; I figure that might be tricky. I went to catholic school, and was a relatively long time dolt about flirting at all, and how to. Luckily for me, some good men flirted with me.
Sin sin sin, sin sin sin, there ought to be a song.

I see I'm way off topic about Trump not caring about elephants, hiss - but I won't erase it.

0 Replies

Builder

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 04:09 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
We’ve only now scratched the surface of the damage those two people have done to American society.

Just wait for it.

Lots of heads in the sand, even in this fine establishment. The Saudi connections I mentioned earlier are also being ignored, by most of the MSM.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 04:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Aack, that's bumper sticker. Funny, picturing that.
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 04:46 pm
@blatham,
Kudos to Al for welcoming the Ethics Committee and owning up to grope, then again there was a photo of it that he couldn't deny. Of course he doesn't recall tongue-raping her mouth, which there is no picture of. Who knows what he would have done if not for photographic evidence.

I didn't hear anyone defend him, but it wasn't a 'he said/she said' situation like a lot of these accusations.

BTW, Moore accusers up to 9 now. Someone needs to get a handwriting expert on that yearbook.

0 Replies

snood

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 04:51 pm
@hightor,
Why don't Sanders supporters care about the Russia investigation? Damn good question. It can't be all of them, but like this piece you posted says, I think a lot of them let their antipathy for Clinton warp their thinking so that the Russia investigation is just another Clinton ploy.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 05:04 pm
I just said to myself, bad news on the horizon; why, many matters, especially today. It sounded wrong and, I checked the lyrics' title - Bad Moon
Arising.

So correct.
I miss Creedence.
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 05:06 pm
@hightor,
Bernie Sanders said on 10/13/17:

SEN. BERNIE SANDERS: We have got to focus on the bread and butter issues that mean so much to ordinary Americans.

Americans are not staying up every day worrying about Russia’s interference in our election. They’re wondering how they’re going to send their kids to college. They’re wondering how they’re going to be able to pay the rent. They are worried about whether they can afford health care. They’re worried about the income they make-- if it is enough to put food on the table. We are the wealthiest country in the history of the world. And our job is to create an economy that works for all of us and not just the 1 percent. And those are issues that we absolutely cannot afford to lose sight of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Omiw5pRojto

izzythepush

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 05:16 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Strangely enough I spent a lot of time with the gay community in Houston. My mate did amateur dramatics and all his friends were gay.

ossobucotemp

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 05:26 pm
@blatham,
I need to star that post.

We are now into scary city multiplying.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 05:37 pm
@Brand X,
Yes to that.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 16 Nov, 2017 05:54 pm
@izzythepush,
And my mate did theater dramatics. I was the one who invited all to dinner and I cooked, though he did too/helped.

Short summary when I feel like it.