monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 06:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
I have regularly pointed out untrue things you've said. I just pointed out another one.

Denying reality when I tell the truth doesn't count as pointing out something that is untrue.
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 06:44 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Liberals do NOT like it when people post facts.

You were proven wrong on the operation Ajax coup, and ignored the facts.

That's your MO. And if you paid attention, you'd know I'm not a liberal.
reasoning logic

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 06:46 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Reality is not subjective.

Please share the evidence for your claim.
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 06:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Please share the evidence for your claim.

I'm not entirely sure how to prove to a liberal that reality isn't whatever they want it to be. That may be an impossible task.
reasoning logic

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 07:02 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

I'm not entirely sure how to prove to a liberal that reality isn't whatever they want it to be.

That is OK, Can you prove to a conservative that reality isn't whatever they want it to be?
oralloy

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 07:07 pm
@reasoning logic,
Conservatives seem to already understand reality. They may be mistaken about a fact now and then, but they understand what "fact" means.
reasoning logic

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 07:12 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Conservatives seem to already understand the meaning of reality. They may be mistaken about a fact now and then, but they understand what "fact" means.

Are you trying to say you are not a conservative?
oralloy

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 07:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
Of course not. Try thinking logically. The fact that conservatives tend to share my respect for reality would indicate similarity.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 08:48 pm
@oralloy,
thats the pproblem with many conservatives, they are so convinced about one option that they are unable to explore the others. Seems thats also the definition of fanaticism.

farmerman

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 09:01 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Lots of hunters are looking forward to the removal of federal restrictions on silencers
I Havent heard of that but thats also stupid. Why not just become a better shot??? Hunting isnt warfare, or a mob hit, its supposed to be an outdoor sport that celebrates mindfulness in a natural setting. Youre wanting to make it something about scorekeeping.

Are you even a hunter?
BillW

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 09:37 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman, there is a maturity level that seems to be maximum 8th grade and probably more like 6th...
oralloy

Mon 13 Nov, 2017 12:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
thats the pproblem with many conservatives, they are so convinced about one option that they are unable to explore the others. Seems thats also the definition of fanaticism.

The fact that conservatives recognize the existence of reality does not mean that they are against exploring multiple options.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 13 Nov, 2017 01:00 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I Havent heard of that but thats also stupid.

What is stupid about tamping down the noise of gunshots?

farmerman wrote:
Why not just become a better shot???

There are certainly merits to being a good shot, but it doesn't help to make the gunshots any quieter.

farmerman wrote:
Hunting isnt warfare, or a mob hit, its supposed to be an outdoor sport that celebrates mindfulness in a natural setting.

Reducing the noise of gunshots should help to do that.

farmerman wrote:
Youre wanting to make it something about scorekeeping.

No. I'm neutral on the question of scorekeeping.

farmerman wrote:
Are you even a hunter?

Of course not. You should know that. I haven't changed over the years since my initial posts.
oralloy

Mon 13 Nov, 2017 01:01 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
farmerman, there is a maturity level that seems to be maximum 8th grade and probably more like 6th...

Says the guy whose only method of argument is to falsely accuse other people of racism or idiocy.

But at least you don't run around quoting other people and yelling "Look everyone! I think what they think!" in a rather goofy attempt to pretend to be smarter than you really are. I'll give you credit for that.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Nov, 2017 03:09 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
if I could figure out a sensible way to recommend breaking the US into usable chunks, I'd recommend it
As you continue to work on this tough problem, do keep in mind that Texas must remain dominant.

Are you familiar with the work of Colin Woodard on how settlement patterns determine cultural and political regions? It doesn't really offer up any profound political remedies for the associated problems but it sure does help explain a fundamental cause for them.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Nov, 2017 03:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
“I think Mr. Trump is, for whatever reason, either intimidated by Mr. Putin, afraid of what he could do, or what might come out as a result of these investigations... It’s either naiveté, ignorance or fear in terms of what Mr. Trump is doing vis-à-vis the Russians,” Brennan said in an appearance with Clapper on CNN’s “State of the Union.”
Trump is, of course, a pathological narcissist and a bully who takes pride in belittling others. Thus he's exactly the sort of personality type who is acutely sensitive to slights and to perceptions (and assertions) that someone else might be more dominant that he is himself. He knows what others think about him and Putin - that Putin's the alpha dude in all of this (which is another motive for deriding media coverage of the Russian story). But he doesn't do his normal behavior of malicious insults of Putin to show who's boss. Because he can't, for some mix of the reasons Brennan notes. And fear has to be central to why he can't.
blatham

Mon 13 Nov, 2017 03:51 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
What about "Seasons in the Sun"?
It seems that the folks studying this potential relationship between psychopaths and normal people as regards taste in songs, I'm guessing they didn't include that particular song in their experiments simply because they were worried how the psychopaths would behave after hearing it. When I hear it, I get murderous. And I'm not a psychopath. Probably.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Nov, 2017 04:14 am
@snood,
Quote:
Occam's Razor, anyone? Just like the MSM avoids calling the man the inveterate liar that he is, they avoid even the hint of suggestion that he is a freaking traitor. Why?
The press, for some while now, has been openly describing Trump as a liar, and that word is used often. If we could do a search of media commentary/reporting on Trump using the terms "Trump" and "serial liar" or "pathological liar" or "inveterate liar", lots would come up.

But it is one thing for a paper or news show to describe him as a "liar" but quite another thing to use the term "traitor" or "treasonous". Those terms have formal and legal connotations that "liar" does not. One can easily imagine findings from Mueller that would make the charge of treason quite arguable but we're not there yet and I don't think we want media outlets taking the place of courts.

Each of us can consider Trump traitorous (I do) but there I'm using the less formal sense of the word, as in "Trump is traitorous to the valuable norms and principles long held by American culture as regards honesty, civility, maturity, empathy, kindness, etc"
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Nov, 2017 04:20 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: oralloy (Post 6538067)
Quote:
Note the fact that I'm the one who always exists in the real world

Youre hardly the one capable of making that conclusion

The unibomber existed in the real world. Roy Moore exists in the real world. How do we establish these truths? We take their word for it.
0 Replies