monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 07:34 am
@Setanta,
Just adding as an aside that if Edith of England ("Ædgyth"), a German queen, had lived a bit longer, all that could have been avoided Wink
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 07:40 am
Quote:
Manu Raju‏Verified account
@mkraju
Follow Follow @mkraju
Trump and Putin did not discuss Russian meddling during their 5-minute chat, Kremlin says
4:40 AM - 11 Nov 2017

to which we have this reply
Quote:
Ryan Lizza‏Verified account
@RyanLizza
25m25 minutes ago
More Ryan Lizza Retweeted Manu Raju
It’s sad when you don’t know whether to trust the Kremlin or the White House on this.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 07:53 am
From the right, we have follower of Jesus, Erick Erickson (and aren't we lucky to have him)
Quote:
Erick Erickson‏Verified account
@EWErickson
And I have a hard time taking seriously the outrage from people screaming “age of consent” who think a three year old boy can identify as a girl and there’s nothing wrong there.

Some of you may recall this godly tweet from Erickson. It seems appropriate, since the accounts of Roy Moore's behavior have surfaced, to remind ourselves of what real christians in right wing land are like...
Quote:
Erick Erickson‏Verified account
@EWErickson
The nation loses the only goat ******* child molester to ever serve on the Supreme Court in David Souter's retirement.
7:24 PM - 30 Apr 2009

blatham

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 08:43 am
Quote:
Erin Burnett‏Verified account
@ErinBurnett
Trump continues to slam former US intel leaders: “I mean, give me a break, they are political hacks...I mean, you have Brennan, you have Clapper and you have Comey..So you look at that and you have President Putin very strongly, vehemently says he had nothing to do with them”
4:43 AM - 11 Nov 2017

So, US intel leaders are "political hacks" but Putin is not political, ratherr he is really a saintly source of the truth.

How much further, if any distance at all, does Trump have to go to be guilty of treason?
revelette1

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 08:48 am
@blatham,
He stinks as President of the US, absolutely no loyalty at all.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 08:58 am
@blatham,
I made the mistake of opening a fox news story, wish I didn't.

Erick Erickson: I don't blame Roy Moore voters for sticking with him (Fox News)

I mean, it's a rant of nonsense. Apparently he thinks the facts are damming against Moore and if he was in Alabama he would sit that one out. But because those on the left are taking away their guns and letting mentally off men use women's bathrooms, they should let Moore run, win and then resign so he could clear his name and let the governor of Alabama pick another conservative to take his place. He called it a Corzine gambit.
revelette1

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 09:04 am
Sources: Investigators want to know if Trump knew of Russia contacts (Reuters)

Quote:
Special counsel Robert Mueller's team has questioned Sam Clovis, co-chairman of President Donald Trump's election campaign, to determine if Trump or top aides knew of the extent of the campaign team's contacts with Russia, two sources familiar with the investigation said on Friday.

The focus of the questions put to Clovis by Mueller's team has not been previously reported.

"The ultimate question Mueller is after is whether candidate Trump and then President-elect Trump knew of the discussions going on with Russia, and who approved or even directed them," one source said. "That is still just a question."
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 09:11 am
Kushner told Time Warner exec CNN should fire a fifth of its staff: report (The Hill)

Quote:
President Trump's son-in-law and senior White House adviser Jared Kushner told an executive from CNN's parent company earlier this year that the news organization should fire 20 percent of its staff over their coverage of the 2016 election, according to a new report.

Kushner told Time Warner executive Gary Ginsberg that CNN should fire the employees because they were so wrong in their analysis of how the election would turn out, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday, citing people familiar with the matter.

A White House official said Kushner didn't intend for the comment to be taken seriously and was only trying to make a point, according to the Journal, which reported that the remark "wasn't taken lightly" inside Time Warner.

The newspaper had previously reported in February, shortly after Trump took office, that Kushner had met with Ginsberg at the White House and criticized CNN over what he deemed inaccurate analysis of the Trump administration and commentators who had been especially critical of Trump.

CNN and its parent company Time Warner were in the spotlight this week over reports that the Trump administration wanted CNN sold as a condition of a merger between AT&T and Time Warner.

Justice Department sources told The Hill and other outlets earlier this week that AT&T had offered to sell CNN from the combined company to get the merger approved by regulators. Other outlets reported that the Trump administration had demanded the sale.

Speculation among Wall Street insiders and people within the companies has risen over whether the administration's feelings about CNN could be influencing the decision, the Journal reported.

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson on Thursdaydenied reports that the Justice Department wanted CNN sold as a condition for the merger.

Trump and his associates repeatedly bashed CNN during the 2016 campaign and into his time in office, calling the network and certain stories "fake news.

0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 09:21 am
Mueller probes Flynn's role in alleged plot to deliver cleric to Turkey (WSJ)

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Special Counsel Robert Mueller is investigating an alleged plan involving former White House National Security Adviser Mike Flynn to forcibly remove a Muslim cleric living in the U.S. and deliver him to Turkey in return for millions of dollars, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Under the alleged proposal, Mr. Flynn and his son, Michael Flynn Jr., were to be paid as much as $15 million for delivering Fethullah Gulen to the Turkish government, according to people with knowledge of discussions Mr. Flynn had with Turkish representatives.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 09:32 am
@revelette1,
Yes. One cannot minimize the centrality and the depth of the perception of victimization that marks the modern right in America. There's a lot of history here as Hofstadter has documented in his books.

But an equally important aspect to this perception of overwhelming and constant and unjust victimization is that the people who hold such notions believe they have a just warrant to violate any principle they have previously espoused - because their cause is righteous and their enemies evil. Resident in this is a common notion of an over-arching cosmic battle between good and evil. Scalia saw the world this way. Moore sees it this way. And it has now become central to modern conservatism.

This is the underlying mental frame or worldview these people use all over the place. It's the foundational thinking behind the right wing media universe. It's the rejection of robust democracy. It's reflected in the totally imaginary "war on Christmas". Etc etc
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 09:39 am
Quote:
Kevin M. Kruse‏Verified account
@KevinMKruse
2h2 hours ago
Between defending Russia on the election meddling charges and saying we "can't blame" China for taking advantage of us economically, President America First has *really* made a strong showing on this trip through Asia.

Sure, sure. But let's focus on what is important. Trump didn't bow in the presence of any leader whether or not protocol would suggest it the proper behavior.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 10:45 am
@blatham,
https://i.imgur.com/UCZVkH8.jpg

US groups honouring Paris climate pledges despite Trump
Quote:
US states, cities and businesses signed up to ‘America’s pledge’ to combat global warning have a combined economic power equal to the world’s third-biggest economy

The US states, cities and businesses that have signed up to reduce greenhouse gas emissions despite president Donald Trump’s threats to withdraw from the Paris agreement would, if put together, have the clout of the world’s third biggest economy, after the US and China.

To date, 20 US states and more than 50 of its largest cities, along with more than 60 of the biggest businesses in the US, have committed to emissions reduction goals.

Added together, they have an economic power of about $10tn, placing this group behind only the US as a whole ($18.6tn) and China ($11tn) in terms of GDP.

On Saturday at the Bonn conference on climate change, these groups joined together to make “America’s pledge”, a commitment to combat global warming, in stark opposition to the Trump administration.

... ... ...
0 Replies

BillW

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 11:44 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I just saw Hugh Hewitt (not a liberal stalwart) say that if you read the whole WAPO story you can come to no other conclusion but that Moore did the things he's being accused of. Further, when his guest said this is a real test of conservatives' morals, Hewitt quipped "No, I think it's a test of literacy."

Yes, but he's not a southern Conservative either. There's is a big difference. If Hewitt leaves tRump, he takes half the remaining 33% of the tRump coalition.
wmwcjr

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 12:10 pm
Please read this.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alabama-state-auditor-who-defended-moore-spoke-to-racist-group-in-2015
ehBeth

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 12:19 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
David Horowitz‏
@horowitz39
In my view Moore is guilty as accused. But 1) it happened 30 years ago, & 2) he can't be removed from the ballot, & 3) electing a Dem strengthens a party that defends these criminals: Obama, the Clintons, Holder, Lynch, Abedin, Cheryl Mills etc. &their crimes are far far worse

and yanno what I see about the 'criminals' ?

Quote:
Obama, the Clintons, Holder, Lynch, Abedin, Cheryl Mills

with one exception ... those are non-white and/or non-male

there does seem to be a very particular mindset that equates non-white/non-male with criminal / lesser human

white man shoots people? he must be sick, let's get him help
non-white man shoots people? terrorist!!!! bad human!!!!! kill him !!!!

white man rapes someone? let's get him into rehab
non-white rapes someone? string him up/shoot him

white man drunk in public? get him help
non-white drunk in public? arrest them! shoot them! they could hurt someone

white people taking groceries from store after hurricane? strong/survivor/what America is made of
non-white people taking groceries from store after hurricane? thugs/animals/gangs ... shoot them !!!!!!!!!

it's all of a piece
Setanta

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 12:51 pm
I'm sorry, but I may be unable to participate for a while. I am so distraught for Vlady Putin, that stalwart christian and self-effacing champion of probity in government, subjected to the slings and arrows of outrageous main stream media libel. How he must suffer!

I think I' d better go lie down.
0 Replies

BillW

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 12:56 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr, any group of conservatives in Alabama is by circumstance a racist group.
BillW

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 02:42 pm
Doug Jones - Roy Moore currently being shown tied (46%-46%) in polls, hmmmmmmm! I like what Republicans are doing, keep on keeping on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 03:04 pm
There is a good deal of hypocrisy in Americans complaining about others interfering in an election. There were two egregious exam[les in my lifetime. The first, and most well known, was the overthrow and murder of Salvador Allende in Chile. He was replaced by the notorious Augusto Pinochet, whom he had appointed thief of staff of the Chilean military. Oops . . . of course, I meant chief of staff.

The other, and lesser known incident was the overthrow of Gough Whitlam, the Labor Prime Minster of Australia, who had ended conscription in Australia and withdrawn Australian troops from Vietnam. The campaign against Whitlam was financed by a bank which has since been shown to have received millions of U.S. dollars from Air America, the CIA front in Indochina. Whitlam was the only Australian Prime Minister ever to be dismissed by the Governor General, in that case, Sir John Kerr. Whitlam was replaced by Malcolm Fraser, the head of the Liberal (sic) Party.

There are undoubtedly many other examples over the decades. It is a rather obvious case of "do as I say, not as I do."
BillW

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 03:28 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

snood wrote:

I just saw Hugh Hewitt (not a liberal stalwart) say that if you read the whole WAPO story you can come to no other conclusion but that Moore did the things he's being accused of. Further, when his guest said this is a real test of conservatives' morals, Hewitt quipped "No, I think it's a test of literacy."

Billw wrote:

Yes, but he's not a southern Conservative either. There's is a big difference. If Hewitt leaves tRump, he takes half the remaining 33% of the tRump coalition.

wmwcjr, any group of conservatives in Alabama is by circumstance a racist group.

I'd like to see the poll run of Southern states with the following question: "Are you in favor of seceding from the USA and if yes, are you in favor as a first act; reinstating slavery?"

Doug Jones - Roy Moore currently being shown tied (46%-46%) in polls, hmmmmmmm! I like what Republicans are doing, keep on keeping on.

Republicans are going beyond the party of the deplorable and becoming the party of the depraved. It is sad, too too sad!