monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 08:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I wonder, if it's really true what is reported about Flynn (he is reportedly involved in alleged plan to abduct cleric Fethullah Gülen in the US and fly him to an island prison in Turkey in return for $15m)

Well, actually, I don't wonder when I think about it.

(First reported in the >WSJ<)

I remember this being reported last year. Can't say it was directly related to Flynn, then again, seems like it was?
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 08:22 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
#45 didn't practice good golf etiquette as I've been taught it.

He's also known to try to rattle his opponent when the guy is trying to make a difficult putt. Great sportsman.

Gamesmanship isn't approved of in golf. Highly frown, self aggrandizement - then again, you're talking about tRump, another way of saying "the assh@le".
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 09:05 pm
Hannity does a switcheroo and withdraws his support for Moore. Mike Lee did the same today. I think these jerks have twigged that they were on a losing trajectory or they received some communications from others that convinced them to turn around. Hannity, of course, says he mispoke and that he was taken out of context by the evil, fake media.

This means Moore is gone, it seems certain. But what they'll do now is problematic. [url=]DBeast[/url]
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 09:11 pm
Quote:
Devin Nunes attended a breakfast with Michael Flynn and Turkey's foreign minister just before the inauguration
Business Insider
How much do I want Nunes to end up in jail? I want it plentifully.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 09:14 pm
I know you all had a tremendous respect for this man already but this ought to grow that respect substantially.
Quote:
David Horowitz‏
@horowitz39
In my view Moore is guilty as accused. But 1) it happened 30 years ago, & 2) he can't be removed from the ballot, & 3) electing a Dem strengthens a party that defends these criminals: Obama, the Clintons, Holder, Lynch, Abedin, Cheryl Mills etc. &their crimes are far far worse
Real Music

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 10:03 pm
The REAL Reason Why Fox News Covers Benghazi

0 Replies

BillW

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 10:11 pm
Just saw a shot of tRump on TV. OMG, he pays thousands of $ for a suit yet he looks like he's wearing an old army tent. What a slob......
Builder

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 10:37 pm
@BillW,
And you call that "monitoring Trump"?

You didn't catch the times his lard-assed opponent crapped her own underwear on the campaign trail?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 10:43 pm
@BillW,
His suits would look better if he didn't sleep in them. He has terrible taste in ties but that seems to be the style....shitty tone deaf ties.
Builder

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:13 pm
@glitterbag,
LOL> You kids crack me up.
glitterbag

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 12:36 am
@Builder,
And we all know why, mate.
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 12:42 am
I don't watch TV, and most of my youtube time is spent researching off-grid power supply. Just connected the 5C LFP supply, and it works poifectly.

It's enough to know that lots of interesting activities are taking place, and when the MSM ignores them, it's clear they're more important than tie colours. Chuckles.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 03:39 am
Sarah Jones at New Republic has a very good piece up on why the christian right (many of them, such as the home-school crowd) would continue to support Roy Moore even if he did what has been charged of him.
Quote:
This isn’t accidental, and it reveals quite a bit about why many white Alabamian evangelicals will stick with him. Never underestimate the depth of the evangelical martyrdom complex: In their view, Moore has taken public stands for the word of God, and now the secular world is punishing him for his righteousness. This is the fate promised to all faithful Christians. Thus, Moore’s brother compared Moore, an alleged pedophile, to Jesus Christ.

...A general disdain for women is another reason evangelicals will continue to defend Moore. As any woman who grew up evangelical can tell you, the subculture is not overly concerned with the bodily autonomy of its female members, who are often treated as mere vessels for procreation. Look even further into the wilder weeds of this world, and you’ll find that antiquated ideas about courtship—essentially arranged, chaperoned dating—still hold and are still used to justify relationships between young girls and older men. Former ex-fundamentalist Kathryn Brightbill explains:

...This is the upsetting truth: Religious traditions that embrace retrograde beliefs—that female sexuality somehow endangers men, that women should submit to men in the home and in the public sphere—aren’t equipped to deal with accusations of abuse. Whether it happens on the mission field or in the church sanctuary or in a lonely moment with a Christian politician, conservative Christians have often greeted sexual abuse as a cause for outrage when victims speak up.[outrage towards the women]
NR

0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 04:12 am
Well, hell . . . what do you expect? The Bobble tells you not to covet your neighbor's wife--it doesn't say anything about his pubescent daughter.
blatham

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 04:15 am
@Setanta,
True. But on the other hand, both are still property under possession.
izzythepush

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 05:06 am
Quote:
Former top White House aide Michael Flynn has denied offering $15m (£11.5m) to help forcibly remove a Muslim cleric to Turkey are "false", his lawyer says.

Robert Kelner said claims that the ex-national security adviser and his son had met Turkish representatives to discuss a plot were "outrageous".
An alleged plan to remove the cleric, Fethullah Gulen, was first revealed by former CIA director James Woolsey.

Turkey accuses Mr Gulen of being behind the failed July 2016 coup.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has repeatedly called for Mr Gulen's extradition from the US, where he lives in Pennsylvania.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Mr Flynn - who quit his post after misleading the White House about meeting a Russian envoy before Donald Trump took office - discussed having Mr Gulen transported on a private jet to the Turkish prison island of Imrali.

It also reported a payment was offered.

The newspaper said the matter had emerged as part of special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the US election.

The inquiry focused on a meeting in mid-December between Mr Flynn, who was serving on the White House transition team at the time, and Turkish officials in New York, it reported.

Meanwhile, NBC said that federal investigators were also looking into whether Mr Flynn had tried to push for the return of Mr Gulen to Turkey during his time as White House national security adviser.

But Mr Kelner vociferously denied all the allegations. He issued a statement saying that, as a rule, they had avoided responding to media rumours and allegations.

"But today's news cycle has brought allegations about General Flynn, ranging from kidnapping to bribery, that are so outrageous and prejudicial that we are making an exception to our usual rule: they are false," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41953464
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 05:13 am
@blatham,
The concept of women (and slaves or serfs) as chattel is a distinctly christian idea. It certainly was not consonant with the cultures of either the Kelts or the Germans. Early in the 12th century, Matilda of Normandy, dowager Holy Roman Empress, and known as Maud the Empress, daughter of the first King Henry, went to war with Stephen of Blois, who had seized the English throne. She claimed that she was more closely related to William the Bastard of Normandy, which was true, and lead to a twelve year civil war called the Anarchy by the literate people of England. She was fighting on behalf of her son, Henry Plantagenet. During the war, Henry was married off to Eleanor of Aquitaine. Her father, William X, the Duke of Aquitaine, had secured an agreement with King Louis VI that she would be duchess regnant upon his death. Louis promptly married her off to his son when William died. Theirs was not, apparently, a happy marriage. They had one child, and as both had children after they separated, the inference is that they didn't get along too well. The Pope given a dispensation for them to marry, based on consanguinity. When they became estranged, he annulled it on the same basis. Another such dispensation was required for Eleanor to marry Henry (Popes made good money in those days).

The upshot of that was more than three centuries of warfare between the English and the French--Eleanor and Henry claimed, between them, half of what is modern day France, which was about two-thirds of France as it then existed. A century earlier, Matilda of Tuscany had lead her troops into battle, literally (she was good with her sword) to fight the Holy Roman Emperor both to secure her patrimony and to protect the Pope. They called her the daughter of the Pope--figuratively, not literally as was the case with the Borgias. Margaret of Denmark in the late 14th century, attempted to unite Scandinavia, which she could claim based on birth and various marriages--but they couldn't agree on terms.

Maria Teresa's father, Charles VI of the Holy Roman Empire, tried to secure his estates on her behalf. That lead to the War of the Austrian succession in the middle of the 18th century. Yes, the blessings of christianity are manifold, as history shows us.

This whole bizarre episode with Roy Moore is made even more bizarre, in the context of this thread, in that President Plump supported Luther Strange against Moore. One wonders how that was seen by his ever dwindling base. I haven't heard anything about Plump's reaction to the accusations against Moore. It's not as though Plump were renowned as an upright christian.
izzythepush

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 05:37 am
Quote:
President Vladimir Putin felt insulted by allegations of Russian interference in the US election, Donald Trump said after meeting him briefly at an Asia-Pacific summit in Vietnam.

"You can only ask so many times... he said he absolutely did not meddle in our election," President Trump said.
President Putin later described the allegations of meddling as "absurd".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41954436

Sometimes there's an almost childlike naiveté to Trump, thinking that Putin's word will have any bearing on the investigation.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 07:14 am
I just saw Hugh Hewitt (not a liberal stalwart) say that if you read the whole WAPO story you can come to no other conclusion but that Moore did the things he's being accused of. Further, when his guest said this is a real test of conservatives' morals, Hewitt quipped "No, I think it's a test of literacy."
blatham

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 07:33 am
@Setanta,
I hope you don't have to move very often (I'm imagining the size of your library).
0 Replies