monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 05:50 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Trump is a coward.

Did he surrender to the enemy like that coward McCain did?
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 05:51 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Yeah. Coherent thinking is how we identify real conservatives.

We find that thinking for ourselves is superior to your tactic of pointing at other people and yelling "Look everyone! I think what that guy thinks!" in order to foster the illusion of intellectualism.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 05:54 pm
Quote:
Data Firm’s WikiLeaks Outreach Came as It Joined Trump Campaign

Cambridge Analytica said it reached out to Julian Assange to share Hillary Clinton-related emails in ‘early June 2016,’ when the company had already started working for the campaign
WSJ
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:02 pm
Get this one. Hannity, in defense of Roy Moore said
Quote:
Hannity: “We do have Ten Commandments. One of the commandments is ‘thou shalt not bear false witness.’ We know human beings break, with regularity, the other nine commandments. Did they break this one?”

That's Hannity questioning who fails that particular commandment. Of all people, Hannity.
blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:08 pm
Re the Russian troll tweet I noted earlier, Jim Hoft at Gateway Pundit is pushing it too (of course he is being one of the stupidest humans alive). MM
blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:11 pm
If the choice is between a pedophile and a liberal, choose the pedophile to represent you in the Senate. Because he will be more godly.
Quote:
Conservative blogger Erick Erickson, who frequently is provided space to opine in the op-ed pages of major newspapers, wrote a blog post this morning explaining why he can’t blame Moore’s supporters for sticking with (and voting for) the candidate even in the face of the “damning” evidence. Erickson understands that impulse, he writes, because he sympathizes with those voters’ perception that “the left” is “out to get them.”

Per Erickson’s explanation, Alabama Republicans are under assault by liberal efforts to protect reproductive rights, enact gun control in the aftermath of mass shootings, and expand LGBTQ rights, so they can be forgiven for feeling that their only recourse is to send alleged sexual predator Roy Moore to the Senate to represent them. After all, Erickson rationalizes, the reported pedophile “is the only one standing with them.”
MM
blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:24 pm
Quote:
The American Bar Association evaluates the qualifications of judicial nominees, and in most instances, across multiple administrations, the ABA determines that the nominees are prepared to serve on the federal bench. In the Obama era, for example, literally none of the Democratic president's nominees received a "not qualified" rating. The same is true of Bill Clinton's nominees.

Donald Trump, however, less than a year into his first term, has already sent four "not qualified" judicial nominees to the Senate. The L.A. Times highlighted one of them today.
Benen

The modern GOP is totally fucked. The one positive consequence of Trump up top is that he is making the dishonesty and corruption much more visible.
Setanta

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:30 pm
Apparently, you don't understand what's at stake here, Mr. Liberal Know-it-all. It's not about responsible behavior toward minors, it's not about judicial competence--it's a war for the very soul of 'Merica! Trivialities such as profound judicial ignorance or the molestation of minor girls cannot stand in the way of godly men and women leading us back to the bosom of Abraham!
blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:36 pm
Quote:
And in his first interview after the Post story broke, with Sean Hannity, Moore continued to speak very carefully — like a slick lawyer, one might say. He flatly denied even knowing, carnally or otherwise, the woman who made the most serious allegation against him, Leigh Corfman. Corfman told the Post that when she was 14, Moore, then a 32-year-old prosecutor, offered to look after her at the courthouse during her mother’s custody hearing. Eventually he arranged to meet her in secret, and had sexual contact with her at his house. But despite Hannity’s repeated attempts to give him an opportunity to clear his name entirely, Moore got very cagey when asked if he ever dated teenagers at the time in question. He could not remember doing that, and said it would have been “out of character” for him. But then Moore made the odd qualification that if he had dated the teenagers he wouldn’t admit to having dated, he would have asked their mothers’ permission. Again: It’s as though he was only willing to deny the one allegation that would, if proven, surely damage his candidacy severely.
NYMag

That's believable. What are the chances that a 34 year old man would not remember dating a 14 year old girl?
blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:40 pm
@Setanta,
"Power politics" as Finn labels it.
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:45 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
The one positive consequence of Trump up top is that he is making the dishonesty and corruption much more visible.

Nearly choked on my lager reading that one. ;-)

I'm not sure I've seen so much hypocrisy condensed into one place before.

Would be interesting to hear how you think things would be different, had his opponent took the dais instead of him.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I learned to golf, far as I did, in the fifties, at Rancho Park's short course. I even got a hole in one, except that I had completely missed the golf ball on the first try.

Later I was part of Arnold Palmer's Army and followed along, and re other sports news. The best part was that, for my dad and me, the cafe had great pie.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:36 pm
@ehBeth,
I learned to golf, far as I did, in the fifties, at Rancho Park's short course. I even got a hole in one, except that I had completely missed the golf ball on the first try.

Later I was part of Arnold Palmer's Army and followed along, and re other sports news. The best part was that, for my dad and me, the cafe had great pie.

Many years later, it was important for me and my dad in memory.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:45 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Get this one. Hannity, in defense of Roy Moore said
Quote:
Hannity: “We do have Ten Commandments. One of the commandments is ‘thou shalt not bear false witness.’ We know human beings break, with regularity, the other nine commandments. Did they break this one?”

It's a good point. These nutty feminists keep falsely accusing innocent men of rape.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:46 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
of course he is being one of the stupidest humans alive

Gosh! Does he run around pointing at other people yelling "Look everyone! I think what they think!" in order to create an illusion of being an intellectual?

YOU of all people should not be deriding other people's intelligence.

Disclaimer: I have no idea who this person is that Blatham is disparaging. But I'll bet the guy does more of his own thinking than Blatham does.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:47 pm
@oralloy,
Some don't get sarcasm and or irony.
oralloy

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:48 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
If the choice is between a pedophile and a liberal, choose the pedophile to represent you in the Senate.

I can see that. Liberals are always out to violate the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:52 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
Some don't get sarcasm and or irony.

I don't believe there was any sarcasm or irony. I think Fox News was actually arguing that the accusations are untrue.

That nutcase Gillibrand even falsely accuses innocent men of rape on the floor of the US Senate.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:56 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Quote:
He could not remember doing that, and said it would have been “out of character” for him

That's believable. What are the chances that a 34 year old man would not remember dating a 14 year old girl?

Depends on whether it happened or not. There are all sorts of things that never happened in my life, and I have no memory of any of them.

For instance, that one time when that nice person gave me a billion dollars. It never happened, and for some reason I just can't seem to ever remember it.
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 08:09 pm
So now Right Wingers are pedophiles - of course, only IF you are one of them. So sad, so very, very sad! Hugh,very very hugh bunch of perverts. White Supremacist, perverted pedophiles, the whole bunch of them!
0 Replies