monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 09:00 am
Quote:
andrew kaczynski 🤔‏Verified account
@KFILE
Reminder that Roy Moore, accused of sexual misconduct with teens, has said same-sex marriage will lead to child abuse.

0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 09:26 am
@blatham,
He is a conservative war hawk, his votes are going to reflect that.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 09:33 am
@blatham,
Is she suggesting all these women who have lately been coming out with out with accusations to both entertainment people and politicians are getting paid? By whom and when?

If anything it is probably way more than is even now known.

Olivier5

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 09:39 am
@oralloy,
Trump is a coward.
BillW

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 09:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

why is that?? Do we have to turn you in to the Appalachian Morality Squad?

Bible says women are mens chattel property!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 10:31 am
@blatham,
I must admit I've not watched it.
blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 12:04 pm
@revelette1,
Her suggestion is that the great majority of women who go to the police or to the press with allegations of sexual assault are flat-out lying - in order to win some financial settlement.

And yes, of course, the number of incidents of sexual assault on females by males far exceeds the number of reported cases. But she was on Fox's Hannity show. And her claim (encouraged by Hannity) wasn't just in aid of Roy Moore but of Trump himself and Ailes/O'Reilly and everyone else at Fox who did it.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 12:06 pm
From Josh Marshall
Quote:
Jim Zeigler is the Alabama State Auditor who has recast the core narratives of the Gospels as a sort of barely legal dime novel as a way to justify the alleged actions of Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore. “Zechariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist. Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

Ziegler can almost see Joseph driving up in his Chevy Impala, parking around the block from Mary’s hut and having her meet him to see his special secret. But in the end it all worked out fine. If it was good enough for Mary, why not Leigh Corfman?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 12:08 pm
@izzythepush,
I watched it. Very odd. #45 didn't practice good golf etiquette as I've been taught it.

I was taught to stay with the people I was golfing with - to not socialize with other people who are along.

#45 should have been watching Abe, not walking away.

but ... it would be weird if he followed normal social rules on the course when he doesn't elsewhere
hightor

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 12:35 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Lately, since his latest illness really, it is as though he has been set free to say what he likes without worrying over future political ramifications.

This is why I quoted the NYT reader's response in an earlier post. If McCain, Flake, and other traditional Republicans are so disgusted with their party, why not "change their party affiliation to independent and caucus with the Democrats?" They wouldn't have to support "Medicare for All" or any particularly partisan positions but by depriving the GOP of its majority I'm sure they could help to pass useful and meaningful legislation.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 12:54 pm
@hightor,
I wonder, if it's really true what is reported about Flynn (he is reportedly involved in alleged plan to abduct cleric Fethullah GĂĽlen in the US and fly him to an island prison in Turkey in return for $15m)

Well, actually, I don't wonder when I think about it.

(First reported in the >WSJ<)
hightor

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 01:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
#45 didn't practice good golf etiquette as I've been taught it.

He's also known to try to rattle his opponent when the guy is trying to make a difficult putt. Great sportsman.
blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 01:45 pm
Forbes has a great historical account of how the GOP became the party of tax cuts because they were (and are) out to limit the size and functions of government (quite regardless of what citizens themselves might desire of government and quite regardless if their ideological stance actually produced what they imagined it would).
Quote:
...Citing Greenspan's testimony, conservative columnist George Will endorsed Kemp-Roth and STB in a column on July 27, 1978. "The focus of the fight to restrain government has shifted from limiting government spending to limiting government receipts," he reported.

On Aug. 7, 1978, economist Milton Friedman added his powerful voice to the discussion. Writing in Newsweek magazine, he said, "the only effective way to restrain government spending is by limiting government's explicit tax revenue--just as a limited income is the only effective restraint on any individual's or family's spending."

By 1981 STB was well-established Republican doctrine...

...When Bill Clinton became president in 1993, one of his first acts in office was to push through Congress--with no Republican support--a big tax increase. Starve the beast theory predicted a big increase in spending as a consequence. But in fact, federal outlays fell from 22.1% of GDP in 1992 to 18.2% of GDP by the time Clinton left office.

Although all of evidence of the previous 20 years clearly refuted starve the beast theory, George W. Bush was an enthusiastic supporter, using it to justify liquidation of the budget surpluses he inherited from Clinton on massive tax cuts year after year.
Forbes
hightor

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 01:53 pm
@blatham,
And by convincing the average voter that they are being crushed by the most confiscatory tax system ever devised they can count on plenty of support at the polls. Such as depressed Trump supporters crying because the factory left their town thirty years ago and can't understand why the government hasn't done anything about it.
Setanta

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 02:17 pm
Their tax cut mantra is not based on any conviction about economic effects, in my opinion. Looking at the pragmatic aspect, if they save upper middle class voters a significant amount of money, they (the legislators) can benefit by overt political contributions (as opposed to PAC and "dark" money). The truly wealthy, as I've pointed out time and again, don't rely on what the IRS calls earned income. They rely on capital gains, which are taxed at 15%. Members of the middle class get capital gains, too, but on nothing like the scale of the big boys. They also rely on earned income, and the Republican tax cuts benefit them, and in turn, benefits the Republicans.
blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 02:21 pm
Quote:
Tsar Becket Adams‏Verified account
@BecketAdams
I’m still stuck on this all-American MAGA account putting the dollar sign *after* the 1,000.

Fun fact: In Russian, the ruble sign (₽) follows the value. In English, we put it *before* the listed amount. Easy to get confused when you’re juggling multiple languages, I suppose.

Quote:
Doug Lewis #MAGA
@umpire43
A family friend who lives in Alabama just told my wife that a WAPO reporter named Beth offered her 1000$ to accuse Roy Moore???

The Russians are going to keep playing right wing Americans for suckers. And they will often be successful.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 02:34 pm
@hightor,
Yeah. Coherent thinking is how we identify real conservatives.
blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 02:39 pm
@Setanta,
Probably some theorists believe/believed this but the GOP's legislative history appears quite disconnected from that theoretical stance.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 05:47 pm
Those Senators are just so damned snooty
Quote:
The National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) dropped its fundraising agreement with Alabama GOP Senate nominee Roy Moore on Friday.

Politico noted that the NRSC was no longer listed as a part of a joint fundraising committee in the Federal Election Commission filings for Moore’s campaign. The Alabama Republican Party and the Republican National Committee remain listed.
TPM
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 10 Nov, 2017 05:49 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
A legal analyst at Fox explains to Hannity that most sexual assault accusers do it for the money. Real victims, she says, are "very few and far between".

Well yes. Feminist nutcases falsely accuse men of rape all the time.