monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:49 pm
@blatham,
http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2013/03/the-correlation-between-guns-and-homicide-rate.html

old data (explosion of mass shootings in US in past 4 years not covered)

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/gunsnosa.jpg
Cycloptichorn

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:52 pm
@McGentrix,
Given the year we've had, you should expect that 'homicides per person' to skyrocket pretty soon now.

What more, a better graph would be 'percentage of gun owners' rather than 'guns per capita.' Something like 50% of guns are owned by 3% of adults due to large collections. Your graph shows collections growing but not gun ownership in general.

Oh, look, I have that graph:

https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/GOT6JG6AD4YB5M6GIWZIBEHZ3A.png

Hmm, percentage of Americans owning guns declines, and the number of gun deaths decline, gee. Who would have thought.

Hmm. The time frames on our graphs actually match up pretty well, as these things go. Percentage of those owning guns has dropped by about a third. Gun homicide rate per capital... drops by about a third. You think that's a coincidence? I sure don't.

Cycloptichorn
hightor

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 04:22 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns.

(...)

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.”

NYT

As your president said, we have a lot of mentally ill people in this country.
thack45

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 06:43 pm
@hightor,
More specifically, what he said was, “I think that mental health is your problem here”, "We have a lot of mental health problems in our country, as do other countries”, and “But this isn’t a guns situation”.

So it looks like any day now, we can look forward to the administration's plan to tackle head on this mental health problem—especially as it pertains to gun violence, right? It's either that, or they project a tacit message that we're better off to be wary of, and protect ourselves from, other citizens, rather than trying to help them (accept of course for the help that was given when Trump signed a bill in February repealing a measure that was meant to block gun sales to people with certain types of mental health problems).
Kolyo

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 06:54 pm
Northam only at +2.2 with 29% in.

Don't early returns tend to be biased in favor of the Democrat?
(Due to early voting, I mean.)
roger

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 06:59 pm
@blatham,
Great! I'm above average.

He didn't link it, but the source is stated at the bottom of the graph.

PS: I haven't shot anyone to date.
BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:16 pm
@Kolyo,
No and Northam wins!

Quote:
Don't early returns tend to be biased in favor of the Democrat?
(Due to early voting, I mean.)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:17 pm
@Kolyo,
Early returns are typically from the rural areas, which lean R.
BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:21 pm
@roger,
I'm below average and I have! Evens out, huh?
roger

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:23 pm
@BillW,
I feel safer, already.

By the way, it doesn't average out well at all.
ehBeth

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:25 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
He didn't link it, but the source is stated at the bottom of the graph.

the link I posted takes the same data and reworks it three different ways

numbers are awesome
BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:27 pm
@roger,
Good, and I agree, I carry more weight in the average!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:40 pm
Has anyone here ever been shot? I have, and I didn't like it at all. It's freaking painful. However, I would never endorse forbidding gun ownership...what I would love is background checks, denying someone like this Texas shooter buying guns, and for Christ's sake, preventing another elementary school massacre.
ehBeth

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:03 pm
Following tko and jorge's VA election night posts. Looking promising.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:05 pm
@glitterbag,
First, yes, in fact, I shot myself. It was just a flesh wound. A piece of shrapnel flew back and pierced my ear. And, it was illegal for the Texas shooter to buy a gun! Except, the Air Force didn't inform the FBI this guy was a real bad guy.
Kolyo

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Early returns are typically from the rural areas, which lean R.

Now Northam is up 8 points.

It looks like Democrats did better than usual in this race.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:17 pm
Roem, the Democrat, and a transgender candidate in the district around Mannassa has defeated the Republican who sponsored a anti-trans bathroom bill, beat him by 10 points. The Democrat is leading in the gubernatorial race by fractionally more than 8 percentage points.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:21 pm
@roger,
Yes, I saw that it came from AEI. What I wanted was his source.
blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
the link I posted takes the same data and reworks it three different ways
Right. The graphing from AEI is terrible.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:25 pm
Goddamn I am pleased that Gillespie got beat (and by about 8 points). If he'd won, every sick Republican running for office would have gone high magnitude bigot.

And Trump tweeted
Quote:
Ed Gillespie worked hard but did not embrace me or what I stand for