monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:16 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
His assets would be frozen and he would lose his properties.

interesting thing right here

my dad's been talking about #45 and the inheritance tax regs for a while now. hamburgboy has plenty of retirement time to read those accounting magazines that have been coming in for years Smile

apparently #45 has consistently refused to do anything with his properties/assets to benefit his heirs - doesn't want to let go of his control while he's alive. had to figure out a dodge for afterward. ahhh tax code fix!

in any case, #45's not giving up his goodies for Putin

darn

snood

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:25 pm
Yeah, I can't imagine 45 seriously considering taking it on the lam, because I can't imagine him thinking he's ever going to be made to account for any wrongdoing. He's gotten away with doing anything he wants all his wretched life. He said he wouldn't be held accountable for murdering someone in broad daylight, and he probably thinks that way. So, what's a little treason?
glitterbag

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:41 pm
@snood,
Reminds me of Nixon, "It's not a crime if the President does it" rewritten to say "It's not treason if the President does it". Trump still thinks he bought a company and the US now belongs to him.

(I'm heading out in a few minutes for my 6 month dental check up.......the next time you hear from me I'll have shiny teeth)
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:15 pm
Glass half full, half empty. I am a eternal optimist. He is the head of a crime family, he goes down - big. No politician can remain whole by supporting him!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:17 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I expect the chances of Trump taking a hike are about zero. His assets would be frozen and he would lose his properties. He'd lose access to media which seems to define for him his personal value. His travel options would be severely limited. His golfing would be at other people's courses and he'd have to restrain himself from driving his cart onto the green.

Further, consider all the stuff he's already gotten away with. Consider the various people he's been associated with (Mafia dudes) who get away with stuff regularly.

Snuff you pipe. It's a silly dream he'd run.

I mean, it's highly unlikely. But let's game it out for fun:

- Mueller finds some really, really bad ****
- Trump gets impeached
- Trump gets charged with said Bad **** once his subordinates roll up on him to save their own asses
- Trump... goes to jail?

Nope. He would run before he went to jail.

Cycloptichorn
snood

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
What person with that much status have we ever seen actually get jail time ? Rich white men don't as a rule have to play that part of the game, yes?
blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
apparently #45 has consistently refused to do anything with his properties/assets to benefit his heirs
That might help to account for their tawdry money-grubbing. As for Trump... how unsurprising is that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:30 pm
@snood,
Other than Madoff it's hard to think of good examples, that's true. The Enron guy supposedly killed himself, I'm pretty convinced he's living in the Bahamas though.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:43 pm
These are reason I believe they go with RICO charge. They are so dastardly sounding and no one can out of hand excuse those acts. Besides, he has already had RICO charges brought against him before:

Art Cohen vs. Donald J. Trump

Wikipedia-
Art Cohen vs. Donald J. Trump was a RICO class action suit filed October 18, 2013, accusing Donald Trump of misrepresenting Trump University "to make tens of millions of dollars" but delivering "neither Donald Trump nor a university." 'The case was being heard in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California in San Diego, No. 3:2013cv02519, by Judge Gonzalo P. Curiel. It was scheduled for argument beginning November 28, 2016. However, just 20 days before that date and shortly after Trump won the presidential election, this case and two others were settled for a total of $25 million and without any admission of wrongdoing by Trump.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Trump... goes to jail?
I doubt that such a perfect storm of badness will befall this sociopath. I doubt that a GOP controlled Congress would impeach him short of murder (though a pee tape might do it, given the conservative mind's freak out about genitals and precious bodily fluids, but if the Russians have such a thing, they won't release it). And then, imagine how long Trump could drag this thing out in the courts, both re the charges (which would likely be extremely complex) and re a self-pardon.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:47 pm
Meanwhile, it's a chilly and rainy day here in Virginia. Voter turnout was relatively strong to start the day, but it may not be sustainable as people head home from work or wherever.
I have Northam (D) by 7.2% (slightly higher than most polls) based on higher than normal turnout.
I held my nose and voted for him, by the way.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:47 pm
Meanwhile, it's a chilly and rainy day here in Virginia. Voter turnout was relatively strong to start the day, but it may not be sustainable as people head home from work or wherever.
I have Northam (D) by 7.2% (slightly higher than most polls) based on higher than normal turnout.
I held my nose and voted for him, by the way.
blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:49 pm
This will surprise no one with an intact brain stem
So why focus so much time, energy, and resources in the idea [tax "reform"]? Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) spoke to The Hill this morning and gave away the game.

Quote:
A House Republican lawmaker acknowledged on Tuesday that he's facing pressure from donors to ensure the GOP tax-reform proposal gets done.

Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) had been describing the flurry of lobbying from special interests seeking to protect favored tax provisions when a reporter asked if donors are happy with the tax-reform proposal.

"My donors are basically saying, 'Get it done or don't ever call me again,' " Collins replied.
Benen

Of course, poor people have the right to lobby politicians too. They have the right to call up their representative and set up a meeting then fly to DC at the appointed time. No one's rights are infringed here.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:50 pm
@realjohnboy,
We'd like to thank both you and your nose.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:52 pm
Voices From The Right - Tuesday afternoon edition

In a new book, former President George H.W. Bush concedes he voted for Hillary Clinton last year.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:07 pm
Can I just right off here that I am tired of all the winning.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:09 pm
I did not know this but it seems Paul Ryan is the largest NRA Lobby money recipient.

Isn't that just special.
snood

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:14 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I did not know this but it seems Paul Ryan is the largest NRA Lobby money recipient.

Isn't that just special.

Hope he got a good price for his soul.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:21 pm
@blatham,
http://cdn.cnsnews.com/guns_per_person_vs._gun_homicide_rate_1993_to_2013_0.jpg
blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:34 pm
@McGentrix,
Where did you get that chart?