monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:34 pm
@blatham,
Dotard turns on folks so fast he leaves skid marks across their faces.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:34 pm
Northam is slipping a little, but is still up by eight points.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:43 pm
The AP is calling it for Northam.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:46 pm
And Dem Murphy wins Governor race in NJ.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:05 pm
First openly trans legislator elected to Virginia house of delegates
BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:08 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

First openly trans legislator elected to Virginia house of delegates

She beat the self proclaimed "homophobe in chief"!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:09 pm
Wow, not just the Gov of VA but big gains in the State House. Looking very like they will end up in the majority, or super close.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

roger

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:17 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

First, yes, in fact, I shot myself. It was just a flesh wound. A piece of shrapnel flew back and pierced my ear. And, it was illegal for the Texas shooter to buy a gun! Except, the Air Force didn't inform the FBI this guy was a real bad guy.

That's kind of a problem. Some states are very good with reportable mental health issues. Some are not good at all.
BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:17 pm
These elections will get the Republicans thinking about impeachment now. Won't take effect until January, but - tRump is poison!
BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:22 pm
@roger,
Roger, his deal was not all mental health, domestic abuse and cracked his child's skull beside the escape from a mental health facility. Yeap, this was one bad boy that wasn't allowed big boy toys, and the AF forgot to report him! It wasn't a state issue, it is federal. Question 11.i of ATF Form 4473.
blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:35 pm
@snood,
That is so very cool.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:38 pm
@BillW,
It will be very interesting over the next few days and few weeks to see if the tone of Republicans changes as regards to Trump. One assumes it will but they really want that tax bill through so they may well continue to be unprincipled lying arses.
roger

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:53 pm
@BillW,
I understand that; really I do. I was pointing out that reporting of disqualifying conditions was not limited to the military. I suppose I could have put that more clearly.
BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:57 pm
@blatham,
blatham, that's the reason I said January in my post, that tax cut. But, the way I understand it right now - the way it is written, it can't get through the Senate as a Reconciliation bill, so, it would take 60 votes. It has to be revenue neutral at a minimum to take a minimum majority vote to pass.
BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:58 pm
@roger,
Understood! I also think (not positive) that a person to person sale doesn't have to have ATF approval anyways. So, go figure......
roger

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 10:05 pm
@BillW,
Under federal law, you are correct. Still, when a background check is applied, we should be able to assume accuracy. False negatives are dangerous and false positives can be big problems, too.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 10:13 pm
@BillW,
There's really no point in talking about the House Bill, as the Senate is going to write theirs from scratch anyway.

House Bill is a shitty bill tho.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 10:16 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

First, yes, in fact, I shot myself. It was just a flesh wound. A piece of shrapnel flew back and pierced my ear. And, it was illegal for the Texas shooter to buy a gun! Except, the Air Force didn't inform the FBI this guy was a real bad guy.

I don't disagree, it just pisses me off that something so deadly can be easily overlooked by the people who have the responsibility to protect the public. I just ache for the survivors.
BillW

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 10:48 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

BillW wrote:

I don't disagree, it just pisses me off that something so deadly can be easily overlooked by the people who have the responsibility to protect the public. I just ache for the survivors.

I believe it is absolutely ridiculous for the huge arsenal of combat weapons to have been allowed to be in the public realm in the USA. It is now one of those things where Pandora's box has been opened, you can't get the genie back in......
oralloy

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 11:50 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Too many of our politicians' first loyalty is to their donors - pleasing the gun lobbyists rules their action (non-action) on gun control.

I realize that liberals are as a rule out of touch with reality (witness all the recent delusional posts about Trump leaving office before 2025), but no. Money has nothing to do with the NRA's control over Congress.
0 Replies