monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 06:59 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
(Besides the obvious discrepancies in how police might respond to a large black man firing a rifle)
Yeah. I admit I hadn't considered that very real aspect. If you have a girlfriend who is good with makeup, perhaps you could have her give you some freckles. That's pretty certain to confuse a racist cop and maybe give you an extra 2 or 3 seconds to explain.
Quote:
Isn't that vigilanteeism? (not sure of the spelling). Doesn't the law frown on laymen taking the law into their own hands?
Normally, yes (although in some states, they'd erect a statue in your honor even if it had Charles Bronson's face). But in a case like this, with many witnesses, you'd be fine.

I realize this is all a digression, but...
It's instructive to me that the identity (demographics) of the "citizen hero" never even occurred to you. See, that's white privilege - you don't even have to think about race unless you want to. It's baggage I don't ask for, but that gets handed to me daily. To the American public, the difference between being called a "hero" or a "thug" often is just a matter of melanin.
I think of reports I saw of different kinds of people taking food from grocery stores during Hurricane Katrina, years ago. The white people seen leaving carrying supplies were scrappy survivors. The blacks were looters.
Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 08:58 pm
@snood,
Quote:
See, that's white privilege - you don't even have to think about race unless you want to.
Yes. Guilty. And it is not just race but gender as well. Not to mention the affluence of the country I was born in and the privileges of western society generally. I've done nothing to deserve these privileges, it's just luck.
0 Replies

BillW

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 10:07 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I like this one —
Quote:
We have a lot of mental health problems as do other countries.

And when he mentioned a “mental health problem at the highest level” I immediately thought about the current occupant of the White House.

With the magic button....... <sigh>
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:01 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Fox is a propaganda organ of the GOP and for Trump (and for Murdoch himself).

Wait! you mean news is not really news? When did this become legal?
Walter Hinteler

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:25 am
@Builder,
Paid ads are considered to be news where you live? Wow!
blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:52 am
Quote:
Over the last four days President Trump has made a series of statements demanding his Justice Department ‘investigate’ Hillary Clinton and other Democratic enemies. These demands aren’t entirely new. But by their specificity, repetition and speed they represent a new departure in demands for extra-legal action and rule. We should note that Trump is increasingly acting like a dictator or would be strong man. The only difference is that the machinery of government, seemingly up to at least some of his high level appointees, seems to be largely ignoring him. This is much better than the alternative. But it is still a bad, dangerous development.

...My point in pulling together this flurry of statements is that these demands are accelerating. The wild demands for power are increasing with his frustration in his inability to exercise power as a democratic head of state. They are also, clearly, accelerating as he feels Robert Mueller’s investigation get closer to his family, his inner circle and himself.

This will keep accelerating and may reach a breaking point soon. His legal position and his humiliations in the job are not getting any better.
TPM
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Wow!

You're likely not aware, Walter, but our Tory govt sold their souls to Mudrock to win control of the nation a few years back.

Part of that deal included sabotaging our NBN puter network, and gutting our independent news service.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 04:01 am
Quote:
CNN poll: Trump approval hits new low of 36 percent

...The results were published a day after an ABC News/Washington Poll showed a similar approval rating: 37 percent. When factoring in the margin of sampling error, the two surveys show a historic low for a president at this point in his tenure in the modern era of polling.
Politico

Imagine how tempting it would be, if you were heading up the editorial board at NYT or WP, to write a front page headline using the phrase "The Failing Trump Presidency. Sad!"
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 04:29 am
Quote:
After Texas church massacre, a push for armed guards and gun-packing parishioners
WP

Not that America is insane or anything.
blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 04:34 am
Today's edition of Voices From The Right (Michael Gerson)
Quote:
Political commentators are supposed to be somewhat objective and analytical when it comes to tracking trends. In that spirit, I find the polling snapshot of President Trump at one year since his election to be interesting — if “interesting” is defined as a downward spiral of polarization, pettiness and prejudice that threatens the daily functioning and moral standing of the American republic.

Our times are not normal — and it is a disservice to the country to normalize them. In a recent Post-ABC News survey, Trump’s approval rating is worse — far worse — than any president at this stage in seven decades of polling. About half of those surveyed strongly disapprove. The public assessment of Trump’s leadership, character and competence has grown harsher in every category.
WP
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 04:35 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Not that America is insane or anything.

You're generalising about 350 million peeps in 50 plus states, and you're the sane one>>??
farmerman

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 05:09 am
@Builder,
A new part of the Catholic Latin Liturgey , (Right after the Salutation ) will be;

LOCKUS en LOADEM. (Those with cowboy pistolas can spin their cylinders or pop in a speed loader)
This is only a proposal but itll still take a few centuries since its on a quick turnaround

Builder

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 05:19 am
@farmerman,
Sounds like lock, stock, and two smoking Padres, or was that Hang 'em low, sweet chariot?
0 Replies

snood

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 05:42 am
At least he doesn't come off like some wanna-be Clint Eastwood.

Stephen Willeford, Who Shot At Texas Church Gunman, Speaks Out: ‘I’m No Hero’

Quote:
And every time I heard a shot I knew that that probably represented a life. I was scared to death. I was. I was scared for me. I was scared for everyone of them, and I was scared for my own family that just lived less than a block away.”

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/5a014c051d00001a3d7f47af.jpeg?cache=cqtpmo4c7i&ops=336_189,quality_75
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stephen-willeford-texas-hero_us_5a013419e4b07eb51181b557?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
revelette1

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:13 am
@snood,
That was my impression too. I found him impressive in more ways than obvious.
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:17 am
@blatham,
I know, I could just imagine a gun fight going on inside the church. Even the sherrif said there was not anything anybody could do until the gunman came out. Which is how it came down. Some people are just nuts.
revelette1

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:43 am
Air Force Error Allowed Texas Gunman to Buy Weapons (NYT)

Quote:
SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Tex. — A day after a gunman massacred parishioners in a small Texas church, the Air Force admitted on Monday that it had failed to enter the man’s domestic violence court-martial into a federal database that could have blocked him from buying the rifle he used to kill 26 people.

Under federal law, the conviction of the gunman, Devin P. Kelley, for domestic assault on his wife and toddler stepson — he had cracked the child’s skull — should have stopped Mr. Kelley from legally purchasing the military-style rifle and three other guns he acquired in the last four years.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:11 am
Holy ****, man. Read this whole thing.

Quote:
Carter Page's testimony is filled with bombshells — and supports key portions of the Steele dossier

...Asked whether he and Baranov discussed "a potential sale of a significant percentage of Rosneft" in July, Page said, "He may have briefly mentioned it."

https://amp.businessinsider.com/carter-page-congressional-testimony-transcript-steele-dossier-2017-11

I believe, now more than ever, that Trump really was compromised from day one. He was in the Russians pocket before he ever decided to run.

****'s gonna get real very quickly here boys

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 08:14 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Some people are just nuts.
Yes, that's true. Which makes the broad ownership of weapons just so damned exciting.
0 Replies